Resident Evil 7 Teaser: Beginning Hour

• So I've been really enjoying the Resi 7 demo. It may be functionaly closer to P.T. but there is something about it that feels very Resident Evil. Maybe its uncovering the story of the location through play or the you need Item X to unlock Object Y style puzzle to it. There is just something there that gets me excited to see what the full game can do and in VR no less!

Spoilers below!

I'm yet to leave the house without the Father grabbing me so far I've done the critical path get the tape then get the back door key route. I've also found the fuse and gone into the attic to answer the phone which again resulted in me being grabbed. I'm still trying to figure out how to unlock the draw in the kitchen, anybody have any ideas?

• Global Moderator

The game is clearly PT inspired and I liked it but it wasn't anywhere near the level of PT.

The game focuses a bit too much on jump scares. It has atmosphere but it doesn't feel like it's going for that vibe completely. Hopefully the final game will be more psychological.

The other thing I'd say is it doesn't look like the sharpest game but I think that's fair if it is being made VR compatible.

Now that I've gotten the negative out of the way, I did still really enjoy the game. Going through the house is still scary and seeing all the things like dolls and mannequins is very creepy.

It's also cool to mess around with multiple endings and trying to figure out more. The main mechanic of the game is that video where you are able to affect things in the present time. So I imagine there is more to do there.

Side Note - That video really took me out of the game too as there are two occasions where you can't go somewhere or are forced into somewhere, so you've no control. Really annoyed me.

Myself and Kristen were trying to figure out as much as we could but we seem to be as far as everyone else judging by spoiler threads. We've no idea what to do with that celluiod finger you find in the drawer in the hallway.

For the locked drawer -

You need to be in the video timeline, in the kitchen go to the microwave and crouch down, you'll see a lock pick behind the microwave. Then unlock the drawer. Once you go back to the present time, the drawer is unlocked.

Haven't found any use for the item inside though.

• @tokeeffe9 awesome I'll be opening that draw tonight!

• I'm willing to bet that someone at Capcom saw Konami implode and made the very smart decision of "hey, we have a long running horror franchise, let's make the money Konagi is leaving on the table." It's sort of...an uncharacteristically smart move on Capcom's part. There's a desire in the market for this, and they're about to fill it.

• I really like this teaser.
    I gives me strong vibes of Resident Evil, Silent Hills and The Evil Within.

Also, anybody else noticed you couldn't see the ceiling unless you specifically looked up?
    I smell monsters crawling on the ceiling!

• When I first started playing the demo I had instant chills because I heard cracking from the ceiling and constant footsteps of someone else in the house with me. #
    Plus, is it just me or is the game really dark. It may have been just my TV brightness but I could be wrong.

All in all I like where the game and franchise is heading. Its actually the first resident evil game after resident evil 4 I have been pumped to play.

• Not a fan, IMO silent hill did what it use to do very well, resident evil did what it did very well (all the way up till 4).

RE7 doesn't look like RE, the first person aspect isn't great, or is it resident evil. This game looks like nothing more than VR bait, and I'm not down with that crap.

• @KingofDMC It is different from what I was expecting from a new Resi game but the franchise has already seen one or two notable big shifts in design and approach. Resi 4 being the main reinvention of the IP. I'm happy to see Capcom doing it again with Resi 7. VR or no VR.

• Wanted to post a couple of funny glitch vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjR-_lePuqA
    Youtube Video

• Will the purpose of the dummy finger reveal itself?!

• @Minamik Pretty sure unlocking the mystery of the Dummy Finger reveals a unique code for Kojima's new game. Notice how the trailer for Death Stranding has no date or year? It's already out!

• @Minamik
    Dummy finger?

• @DMCMaster said in Resident Evil 7 Teaser: Beginning Hour:

@Minamik
    Dummy finger?

You find a dummy finger in a drawer in the hallway outside the room you start in.

• @Minamik
    Really? Guess ill join the hunt to figure out what it does

@Minamik
    Really? Guess ill join the hunt to figure out what it does

I've been trying to figure it out all week!

• @thenerdtheword
    Found a drawer in the kitchen that needs a small key, anyone find a second key?
    Also managed to peak outside the house during the end.

• Global Moderator

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the items are intentional red herrings. Which is genius, as people are going to be talking about it for a while.

I went into this with no expectations and came away really impressed.

@thenerdtheword
    Found a drawer in the kitchen that needs a small key, anyone find a second key?
    Also managed to peak outside the house during the end.

During the VHS-flashback: look at the ground between the fridge and you'll find a lockpick to open that drawer.

I HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO SOLVE THIS ALL! :D

• Global Moderator

Also, has anyone gone through the Ambassador sign up that's mentioned at the end of the demo? Was a touch annoyed that Barry wasn't in the fav character list, yet Piers and the newer ones were.

• @MCRMJ said in Resident Evil 7 Teaser: Beginning Hour:

Also, has anyone gone through the Ambassador sign up that's mentioned at the end of the demo? Was a touch annoyed that Barry wasn't in the fav character list, yet Piers and the newer ones were.

I felt exactly the same way! Their most recent release, and they could only put Claire on the list....and Hunk isn't even...whatever!