Sucker Punch - What are they up to now?

• Seeing this is in the middle of Gamescom, this thread might get abundant fairly quickly.

But I want to talk about Sucker Punch, the studio behind Sly Cooper and the InFamous series.
    I think they are up to something big, or are having some kind of internal struggle. Personally I hope it's the prior alternative.
    See, they usually don't take too long to make their games if you look at their earlier releases:

Sly - Sep 23 2002
    2y
    Sly 2 - Sep 14 2004
    1y 12 days
    Sly 3 - sep 26 2005
    3y 8m
    Infamous - May 29 2009
    2y 1m
    Infamous 2 - June 10 2011
    4m 15d
    Infamous 2 FoB - Oct 25 2011
    2y 5m
    Infamous Second Son - Mars 21 2014
    5m 5d
    First light - aug 26 2014

The longest time they've taken to develop a game was the first InFamous for the PS3, which is understandable since basically everyone was having trouble coding for the PS3 in the beginning.
    The average time it takes Sucker Punch to develop a game is a little over 2 years.
    Now it's been almost two and a half years since they released Second Son (and about 2y 1m since First Light), and they haven't even hinted at their next title.
    I do hope it's something big and ambitious.

I'm thinking (and hoping) that maybe it's Marvel recruiting yet another one of Sony's studios (like they did with Spider-man and Insomniac). I mean, Sucker Punch have basically been doing superhero games since 2009 with the first InFamous, and Marvel seem to be moving into the Video Game atmosphere once again.

What do you think they're up to? What do you hope they are working on?

• Global Moderator

Im thinking as they are looking for a bunch of artists and programmers, they prolly are working on something big... I keep my fingers crossed! I mean they have a record of good games, so who knows what they might boil together!

• I reckon they announce at PSX for a fall 2017 release.

• I wouldn't mind them making a super hero title again. inFamous wasn't a great narrative for me but the gameplay had its moments. Give me gore, and a darker narrative and I'm sold.

Also excited for Insomniac's Spider-Man!

• @Alex840 said in Sucker Punch - What are they up to now?:

I reckon they announce at PSX for a fall 2017 release.

Same here.

• @Light said in Sucker Punch - What are they up to now?:

@Alex840 said in Sucker Punch - What are they up to now?:

I reckon they announce at PSX for a fall 2017 release.

Same here.

It's either Gamescom, PSX or the VGAs

• Another superhero game would be cool, I just hope it's more about the powers than the shooting this time.

• Isnt there a sly cooper movie coming out? could they be working on a movie tie in

• @FF7Cloud They had a concept trailer, but nothing solid.
    Since the Ratchet movie tanked, I think the Sly movie probably won't be seeing the light of day

• Since Infamous Second Son was released just 2 years ago, we probably won't see another announcement until PSX next year.. Hopefully later. Dont do announcements too early.

Personally I think that they are trying something new with their next game. That would of course imply an earlier announcement. Next E3 might not be too unrealistic.

• @cottontunacan But if you look at their release pattern they are basically supposed to release about now.

• I'm guessing at this point it must be something not infamous, and probably not Sly either.

Second Son could be a much nicer game if you can switch powers on the fly. Instead of having to absorb the respective energy for said power when another ability would be better suited for an encounter. But doesn't look like we'll be seeing an improved infamous. There is also the slight chance a project just hit the developer hell hole. And had to be canned or drastically changed.

• Development cycle on iterative games within the same console are usually 2 years. It probably is a new IP, or they're doing something crazier with inFamous.

• These guys are my favourite Sony devs. I was surprised when they did not show up at E3.

• @Kaminski They are top tier! I was definitaly expecting them to show up too. Let's hope they have something ambitious in store!

• @Fridge-man said in Sucker Punch - What are they up to now?:

@Kaminski They are top tier! I was definitaly expecting them to show up too. Let's hope they have something ambitious in store!

Hopefully it has nothing to do with VR. I'm not on board for that.

• @Kaminski I didn't even think of that.. Eventhough I eventually plan on getting PSVR, I do hope they don't do anything VR exclusive at least.

• @Fridge-man said in Sucker Punch - What are they up to now?:

@cottontunacan But if you look at their release pattern they are basically supposed to release about now.

Then it sounds like they're working on a super, super secret project.

I'm thinking they made a larger scale game than what they're used to in the past. Somewhere Twisted Metal-level work. A reveal at VGX or PSX is possible. I don't think they'll use it during PS Meeting, if it is revealed there, I'd be surprised.

• Shuhei has been on PS I Love You (about a year ago) and he said he has played a bit of what they have been working on, but wasn't ready to talk about it.