Is it still relevant to buy a console (PS4/Xbox One) now?

• So I’ve wanted to jump in into this console generation. But I have been holding it off because of E3, to see what the console announcements where going to be this E3. Now with the official announcement for Scorpio next year and the acknowledgement of PS4 Neo by Sony is it still a good idea to buy a console now? Because what if I buy one and it isn’t relevant anymore in 1 to 2 years. Anyways I would like to know your opinions about this.

Love & Respect!
    tius

• It depends on what you mean by relevant?
    In terms of specs these systems were already irrelevant before they were even released.
    However if you just want something to play console games on casually and have sat under your television i feel like nothing has changed, both machines can still do that (I prefer the PS4).

• I think if you are in a position to have a 4K TV in a year and a half, then you'll want either of those new consoles.

But can you go a year and a half without a gaming console? That's the real question.

I want a ps4 for the insane games, but I have an Xbox one and a big gaming pc. So I'll have no time to even play those games...

• admin

I've been really happy with my PS4 purchase. It has a few really good exclusives (Bloodborne, Uncharted), and the multiplatform games all run great. My Xbox has been a pretty big disappointment. I got it for Titanfall, and the community evaporated after like 2 weeks. The next game I was super excited about was Quantum Break, but it's a technical mess.

You're looking at at least a year before PS4 Neo / Xbox Scorpio release, and both of them seem focused on 4K gaming, as opposed to beefing up their 1080p gaming. Does that mean games won't run at higher resolution / framerates in 1080p mode? I don't see how it couldn't, but they're not talking about it.

In short, I think a PS4 is still a wise choice. Lots to play and in 18 months when the Neo comes out, it'll be a whole new ballgame (NX, Scorpio, new PC stuff), so who knows what you'll do then.

• PS4? Yes. Xbone? In my opinion, no. At this point I feel like my philosophy of one console and one PC is just going to pay off 100%, first party PS4 exclusives will likely remain that way, whilst second and third party probably will have some PC versions here and there. But Microsoft seems committed on their Windows 10 platform so.. less wires I guess, lol. Oh and the occassional Nintendo console on sale, I suppose.

• New games are still going to run on them, so get one cheap and enjoy. Buy a new one in two years when it's on sale.

• Global Moderator

In my opinion there are enough exclusives out/coming to justify a purchaise of Playstation 4. In terms of xbox, not so sure, but ofcourse it all comes down to what games you play.

• I think that this only means that you will have high-end and low-end consoles (for) now. It really depends if you want to get into VR. Scorpio will probably be lowest entry point for high-end VR (Rift, Vive), if the rumors about partnering with oculus are true. Neo will likely cost less than scorpio, but still be VR capable.
    In either way, I think that you should wait for the release of Neo and Scorpio release, since even if you don't buy them, the lower-end models's price will probably be dropped.
    In case you don't want to wait until then, it depends if you have a decent gaming PC. If yes, then go for PS4, since most (if not all) Xbox exclusives will come to PC and those PS4 exclusives are worth playing. If not, maybe go for Xbox slim, because it got a very slight performance boost and there are many great games coming out this year and early next year, while Sony has a lot of long-term great projects. But I think that in any way, Xbox 1, Xbox slim and PS4 will be irrelevant (maybe too strong word) within two years, no matter what.

TL;DR:
    Long term solution if you have decent PC: Neo
    Long term solution without decent PC: Scorpio
    VR focus: Scorpio
    Short term solution if decent PC: PS4
    Short term solution without decent PC: Xbox Slim/Xbox 1

• I say wait at least a year until the next E3 when we will have a clear idea of where the current console are going. It is disappointing to see very few exclusives. There are barely games to play.

• No reason to not buy one now. Your system isn't going to be obsolete like a new console gen, and if you get one now you can wait to get the upgrades for a year or two and see if they get more content or the price goes down. Better than waiting a year or more to play games you want to play now.

• Someone on the podcast (I think it was EZA) made a good point:
    If you're looking for console and if you're really into VR and/or have a 4K monitor you want to take advantage of, waiting it out might be the route to go.

My 2 cents:
    PS4 - We just don't know enough about NEO and Sony's plans for it (like a price drop for the PS4 when NEO comes out?). Makes sense to wait but getting one now to play what's coming up soon (Last Guardian, Persona 5, etc) is SUPER tempting. PS4 exclusives are pretty strong right now.

XB1- Yeah it's probably dead in the water, especially if you have a decent gaming PC (although this was kinda true even before E3). But the inevitable price drop on XB1 could be very tempting. $279/$249 for an XB1? Not bad at all if you don't have a Windows PC. If you do though, save up a little more for a graphics card upgrade.

• Persona 5
    Final Fantasy XV (still hope it's good)
    God of War
    The Last Guardian
    Days Gone
    Horizon: Zero Dawn
    Detroit: Become Human
    Death Stranding
    Spider-Man
    The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    Nier Automata
    Gravity Rush 2...

All of those games are either unannounced for PC (so exclusive to consoles for now) or are straight up platform exclusives (mostly Sony, but then Zelda).

If none of them interest you, then no, don't buy a console just build a good gaming PC (that RX480 from AMD looks to be a great card to build a PC around if you're on a budget).

If you are interested in those awesome titles and don't already own a console, I'd wait till Black Friday / Christmas to see if the NEO is coming out this year or if there's another big round of discounts for the current consoles.

If you're concerned about longevity in general, wait for the NEO and NX, then dive in IMO.

• Global Moderator

As long as there are exclusives, it's relevant to me. Once that stops (like it has with Xbox), I've no more interest in that console.

• If you have a 4k TV or are really into PSVR you should wait. Otherwise, I don't think you will regret buying a PS4 now. The price will probably drop when the Neo comes out, but you can find $50 off or other equivalent deals now pretty easy . There are too many good games to wait!

• Yeah, you really can't go wrong with a PS4, but I could not in good conscious recommend an Xbox One. If you don't have a console but want one the PS4 is a better option, and if you already have one then spend whatever you would pay for the Xbox One on upgrading your PC.

• Since Shu confirmed that all the games that we saw at E3 were running on standard PS4s, I don't think it's hard to recommend that you get one. I will be looking into getting a Neo just because I bought a 4K TV recently at 50% off (wouldn't have touched it otherwise).

• I bought a PS4 at launch and have been incredibly happy with it. If you don't have a 4K television, it sounds like there's little reason to wait for Neo/Scorpio as they're primarily aimed at the 4K audience. I can't speak for the Xbox, but I think there are enough current and upcoming titles on the PlayStation 4 to make it 100% worth investing in!

• For me definitely, there are still excluive games I want to play and I simply like the conviniency.

• If you have a decent enough PC to play games, an Xbox One is definitely not relevant to you because of Xbox Play Anywhere. Hopefully they get on that to port as many of their games to Windows 10 as possible (which I think would be fantastic in order to bring their first party exclusive titles to a market that has never had the ability to play them until now because they had no interest in buying an Xbox One... myself included).

On the other hand, Sony demonstrated in their press-conference that they are now more focused on delivering more games and announced a lot of exclusives. If this continues to be a trend then I'd definitely say that it is still relevant to buy a PS4 now as I feel this generation will last another 3 or 4 more years (plus I don't think the PS4 Neo will instantly make the current PS4 obsolete like the Xbox One S/Scorpio have done to the original Xbox One).

• The games you wanna play should drive you to what to get. I always get the next Nintendo console for their game. I got PS4 because my life would not be complete until I played through Bloodborne.
    I love my PC but there's those times where a game doesn't work and I gotta download certain things or mess around with settings and it just kills my gaming high. The older Ive gotten the less time I feel I have and the less patience I have with stuff like that. Its why I stick to games made just for the PC, but these are things to consider.