Will Link be the set name in the new Zelda

• Now that there's voice actors in the new zelda and they call you link in the opening scene in the e3 demo is link going to be the only name you can have?

• @bry_guy That's very interesting, I doubt they'll go the fallout route with hundreds of pre recorded names.

• I always named him Link. Hehe to keep up with the RP!

• @Hesperus same, usually give him another name on my second play through

• @bry_guy I usually do the opposite :grin: Would be super interesting if they had text-to-speech to allow for custom naming but I'm not expecting it.

• There wasn't a profile naming option from the live demo, and since it's voice acted I'm going to assume link is just link now.

• Probably. I guess it sucks a little bit for those who like to change Link's name, but at this point I feel like doing that in any Zelda game is sacrilegious. It is so clearly the cannon name that it's odd we've had the option to change his name for this long.

• I was thinking about this. Most likely, it will be set as Link.

But, I think if you set your own name, and in text, it writes your name that you made, but says out loud "Link", I think this would be an acceptable solution.

• I'd be really disappointed if this is the case. My version of the cluster fuck that is Zelda timeline is filled with lots of dudes called Callum. I do not like the idea of this Link guy suddenly coming on the scene.

The solutions would be to have the voice actor who says "Link" record a bunch of names like Fallout 4 or just omit/alter saying the name from dialogue if you change it. "Open your eyes Link" becomes just "Open your eyes" or "Open your eyes Hero of Time/Space/Tech/Sandwiches."

• Maybe Link was always his last name. So this whole time when anyone named him Link his full name was Link Link.

Its just a theory.

• @Bigdude1 said in Will Link be the set name in the new Zelda:

Maybe Link was always his last name. So this whole time when anyone named him Link his full name was Link Link.

Its just a theory.

alt text

• I think voice acting in Zelda is a bad idea but since they're doing it I hope they do force Link as the name. There's very little I find more annoying in a game than when you can rename a character and as a result the dialogue just skips your name in the voice acting despite it being in the written dialogue.

• @DeweyDTruman said in Will Link be the set name in the new Zelda:

I think voice acting in Zelda is a bad idea but since they're doing it I hope they do force Link as the name. There's very little I find more annoying in a game than when you can rename a character and as a result the dialogue just skips your name in the voice acting despite it being in the written dialogue.

The are alternatives, everyone could just talk about and to the character without ever naming them like in Final Fantasy X. Although that has...mixed results.

With The Legend of Zelda everyone talks about the history of the series and how stuff has weight to it. For me being able to name the main character of each game is a core aspect of the series. So if it is gone I'm going to be upset.

• I believe his name will just be Link. I don't think they've recorded a handful of other names, and I think it ties into the story, or what little we've heard from the story. If that's true, then it would make sense that his name is just Link. Which is fine with me, as I've always named him Link.

• I am 100 percent okay with Link having a definitive name in this game. I've never named him anything else, and don't intend to do so. Besides, in the newer games, they already have Link as the default, so even the laziest people no longer have to type AAAAAAAAAA to get the game going.

• If it's not Link, then you might as well make a new game.

It's not like there is any story continuity in Zelda games aside from names and a few themes.

• I don't mind if Link is the default name. The only voice acting we've seen was from that intro scene, right? It could be just a thing for the E3 demo. NPCs certainly don't have voice acting as far as we know; maybe in cutscenes though. If they decide to stick with that intro scene, then it's pretty likely that Link will be its name by default. I didn't have an option to name Nathan Drake anything else than his default name, this is no different. I always named him Link anyway, so it's not going to be a difference anyway.