Divinity: Original Sin 2 (PC/PS4/XBO)

• Picked it up myself tonight, I couldn't avoid all the hype surrounding this game and all the footage I've seen just make it look SO good.

• I bought this game on sale this weekend. My goodness is it ever thorough. I've never played an old school cRPG before so this is a completely new experience.

10 hours over a lazy weekend and I'm still not out of the island tutorial questline. I thought an old school RPG would be a good palette cleanser for playing Persona 5, but it's really the other way around. P5 is the light and fun game while Divinity is the serious and hardcore fun game.

Any beginner tips?

• Late to the party, but I've finally played this game. It was very hard at first, because there are no quest markers and no clear indication what to do next. Also the combat was tough and without clear tutorials it was overwhelming even on Explorer difficulty. But then I've imagined that this is... Tabletop Escapades. And it worked! I've lowered the difficulty to Story mode and started doing whatever I wanted to do. And since this game has so many ways to approach each situation, this random way of playing worked perfectly!

Yes, I've skipped deep combat and some (probably, many) side activities, but it let me to focus on my party and their individual goals. And this personal journey had many standout moments that I'll remember for many months. Lohse especially.

• @ffff0 I've been working on this one for probably 6 months at a slow pace. I often get to sequences where I just cannot win a battle so I pick up another quest for a while, and then maybe a few more, and come back with a few more levels and skills. This is how I played Divinity Original Sin 1 and it honestly took me a year to beat but I loved it. It's definitely easy to get lost in these games and play them obsessively for days on end but I prefer to take them a few morsels at a time while I play other games. This, and the original, uh, original sin, are phenomenally well crafted games.

• I'm not exactly concerned about difficulty in the games I play, but I do try to start most games on normal. With Divinity though I just start with story mode, because I am terrible at this style of combat, and for me the game is all about the experience and the story. It is pretty much a perfect D&D game.

• I've played like 5 hours with my roomate, simply incredibly, and I just want to really delve into this more in-depth but I'll have to find a good time for that.

• This conversation made me pick it up again last night for a few hours. Was doing great until I hit a wall with a major quest battle which I dont think i can win right now. So gonna wonder around and just explore for a bit until the spirit moves me to try again.

• Global Moderator

I've been streaming the game every monday for about 6 months now I think with 3 other EZA guys. It has been an absolute blast. We just made it to Act 3 last week.

It's just insanely cool how much choice is given to the players and also specific players where the choice is really down to them.

I think it's also a game that you can get totally different experiences of depending on if you're playing solo or in a group. I can see a solo player being a lot more invested in the overall story while in a group, keeping everyone up to date on the latest story elements can be a little difficult but you can have a great laugh in the moment to moment stuff.

It's honestly a bit difficult to properly discuss as it feels like there is so much to talk about with it.

Edit: Oh, and this is still one of my favourite moments :D

tok9 twitch - Divinity 2 - Not Like This

• I got a craving to finally finish this game under the new Definitive Edition patch that released last year. Any tips and tricks for a surefire character build? One thing I appreciated about this game was the challenge but I'm also not in the mood for a super challenging experience at the moment. I just want to jump back into this world.

• @dipset You can change difficulty anytime and there's Easy and Very Easy. So my advice is to build a character you would like to play as and then find the right difficulty.

• @ffff0

Yeah I just saw that. I ended up just going straight to easy mode. I feel good about it already, everybody seems to be dropping coins. I can probably catch up to where I left off in the Classic version that much sooner. Not killing every single person in Fort Joy will probably help speed things up too.

• I love this game so much but, much like the first D:OS, it is taking more than a year to finish it. I tend to play in bursts and then get overwhelmed by some fight or another and put it down for a month or two. I have long been ready to leave reaper's coast and progress the main quest, but I still have so many open side quests that I have not wanted to move on to the Nameless Isle. I should pick it up again.

• My friend played it for a whole year and a half and never finished it. I’ve already found myself meandering around Fort Joy, three companions and completely lost getting into fights by mistake.

This is gonna be a long haul (assuming I stick it out).

• Been listening to a lot of Not Another D&D Podcast and got some TTE nostalgia from the most recent Fiasconauts so I decided to pick this up. Does anyone have preference to playing with a custom vs origin character? I've read that you get much more story by going with origin characters, but I like the idea of fully building my character from the ground up for RP purposes. I don't really care too much about combat options (gonna play on easy), if that helps. I remember feeling like the first game sort of pigeon-holed you into certain roles/actions early on, and if the sequel is similar in the sense that it limits RP immersion then I might go with Origin.

• @naltmank

You can customize the build of the origin characters whether you play as them or have them as companions so there is at least some freedom there.

That said, I say go custom. The origin characters honestly aren’t thaaaaat cool to me and you can get a lot of their backstory using them as companions. As a custom character there are a few forced RP tendencies like the fact you’re down with your mission no matter what.

• Gathered my party in Fort Joy and am ready to start exploring a bit more. First impressions: this game is just as overwhelming as the first one, but in a good way. I do wish there some more non-combat RP options (would love to be a Bard - Lohse was an immediate recruit), but I understand that this is a video game first and foremost, and that combat is central to that experience. That said, the amount of flexibility in the builds is somehow deeper than I remember in the first game, and I'm continuously blown away by how viable every option seems so far. That's part of what makes this game so intimidating to me: I want to try everything. Like the last game, once I decided to treat it more like a game of D&D where you're not meant to see/do everything I started to settle into my groove. That comes down to choice and consequence, and despite how tempting it was to reload my game, I love the balls of the game to let you kill a recruitable character right away. My characters are pretty much always neutral good, but if someone is about to slit my throat over nothing and then attacks me then obviously I'm going to defend myself. Love that kind of stuff.

I'm glad I'm playing on explorer, since the combat is already pretty punishing to me. I'm not great at managing spacing on the battlefield, and the UI of the console version is such that sometimes it's difficult to tell if you're targeting the right thing in combat when multiple objects are in close proximity. I'm glad I'm playing handheld on my Switch, since I think most of the text would be illegible on a TV. That's no fault of the game, though, and it's commendable how well Larian was able to translate this game to a non-Keyboard setup. Can't wait to go further. It's rare for a game to be this immediately engrossing to me. Splitting my time between this and DQXI, so I imagine I'll be set until my next big move in a few months.

• @naltmank

I conceded and decided to play on Explorer difficulty as well and I'm all the better for it. There is enough of a challenge in combat for you to feel satisfied while exploring and hitting the story beats is most important.

I hear what you're saying about non-combat RP options. The game certainly justifies its combat scenarios such as a straight up evil cave dwelling witch who obviously cannot be reasoned with, but I do agree that most dialogue options end up in a fight. The thing is, that's the bread and butter of this game and whenever I get a little bit tired of hearing about: The Seven Gods, Godwoken, Voidwoken, Divine Order and all that, I love focusing in on a really great combat encounter and tuning the rest out. In the end, Divinity OS2 has a really awesome world to explore and the journey has a really great DnD-like progression. That said, I just don't like all of the high fantasy aesthetics so the combat breaks are probably my favourite part of the game.

I think you'll find yourself overwhelmed if you try to do everything in Fort Joy. Your mentality of settling into the groove is probably for the best. I ended up killing every magister in Fort Joy on my two different profiles which was a long and unnecessary deviation but I feel as though you can mainline and hit a few side quests without getting too overwhelmed with the world. Once you start to get stronger, your exploring confidence grows until the whole of the open world becomes your playground.

A tip - consider the Lone Wolf perk:
    0_1588001353449_b8222e2a-2229-4696-95a9-6131908c8c4c-image.png

It definitely restricts your ability to have a deep rag-tag party, but it'll increase your combat capabilities and speed the game up so you don't have to putter around in menu's managing your party. I've only used it once as I generally prefer to play with a larger party, but I can't imagine all of the inventory management on the Switch so its food for thought.