Time's 50 Best Video Games of All Time

• Article is here.

I don't know what I expected really. It's not as though Time is a publication with a lot of merit in the gaming industry but this list is... hilarious honestly. Putting Rise of the Tomb Raider above classics like Bioshock, Fallout 3, Final Fantasy VII, Pokemon, and Red Dead Redemption really boggles the mind. Then seeing Oregon Trail rank in the top 10 made me actually start laughing. I mean, I had some good times with that game as a kid (as I'm sure anyone who went to a computer lab in school did) but I would never consider it one of the best games ever made.

What's your take on this list? Does Time even matter as a publication? That last question isn't meant to be snarky, I honestly don't know at this point. At least Kyle can be happy his love made the top spot.

• My "Best 50 Games of All Time" list is half Ride to Hell: Retribution and half Mass Effect 3. Oh, and the top spot is Depression Quest just to piss off all those #GamerGate bigots.

• @Haru17 Ride to Hell is a lot of fun to watch, that much I'll admit.

• Yeah Rise seems a bit out of place on that list.. Also I think thats the first time I've seen Oregon Trail in the top 10 (or on any list at all)

I can agree with Tetris being #1 though. Has any other game aged as well, remained as timeless and accessible for pretty much anyone?

• @SabotageTheTruth My point is "best X whatevers" are stupid and are only going to make you upset by reading them. They'll either have too much or not enough nostalgia for your tastes. Here's all you need to know about the "best X video games ever made:" You are right, everyone else is wrong. Unless you accept that simple fact you'll be mired in a kind of insanity.

• @Faaip Yep, I agree. Tetris definitely is not my favorite but I've grown to appreciate it over the years and its impact is unparalleled.

@Haru17 I don't invest much care into them, because something like the "best" is very subjective. I just thought the article was funny because it feels very out of touch with what a lot of people would rank in their best lists. Not that popularity is always right, just yeah, Oregon Trail ranking number 9 is going to make me laugh. A lot.

• Lists like this are more or less there to get clicks and cause unnecessary debates. Everyone has their own list, and they are just as correct as is yours. And that's why I only check lists from people that I actually care about, and that's it.

• At least Gone Home isn't on it.

• @Musou-Tensei said in Time's 50 Best Video Games of All Time:

At least Gone Home isn't on it.

What's that?

Can't say I disagree with Counter Strike being high (or low, depending on how you want to look at it) up on the list. And Tetris being #1? Why not? It's one of the few games that has aged PERFECTLY. (and to think as a capitalist Yank I'm technically supposed to hate it ;)) Would argue that Super Mario World (or any of the old 2D Mario games, besides 2 and ONLY because that's a reskin and thus doesn't count) would be a better fit for Number 1 though. And FF VI being higher/lower up than VII, yeah I agree. (and this is coming from someone who played VI for the first time a good few years AFTER playing VII, the flawed PS1 port at that) Would nuke out Braid though, and Halo, while good, is hardly one of the best 50 in my opinion. (but since we're talking about opinions I'll accept that that's an impasse)

• Fist off, @SabotageTheTruth , Thank you so much for creating this thread. I really enjoy these kind of discussions.

Second, just so those interested don't have to track it down, the list from Time is as follows (In the order they listed):

1. Tetris
    2. Super Mario 64
    3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    4. DOOM
    5. Ms. Pac-Man
    6. Minecraft
    7. The Legend of Zelda
    8. Super Mario Bros.
    9. The Oregon Trail
    10. World of Warcraft
    11. Sid Meier's Civilization IV
    12. Final Fantasy VI
    13. Sim City 2000
    14. Quake
    15. Counter-Strike
    16. Grand Theft Auto III
    17. Half-Life 2
    18. Rise of the Tomb Raider
    19. Space Invaders
    20. Zork
    21. Diablo II
    22. GoldenEye 007
    23. Microsoft Flight Simulator X
    24. Final Fantasy VII
    25. Halo: Combat Evolved
    26. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
    27. Mortal Kombat
    28. Donkey Kong
    29. Myst
    30. Pokemon Red/Blue
    31. The Sims
    32. Wolfenstein 3D
    33. Super Mario Kart
    34. Red Dead Redemption
    35. Galaga
    36. Fallout 3
    37. Braid
    38. Portal 2
    39. Castlevania
    40. Pong
    41. ESPN NFL 2K5
    42. Bioshock
    43. Call of Duty 2
    44. Super Smash Bros.
    45. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
    46. Resident Evil 4
    47. Guitar Hero
    48. Angry Birds
    49. Dota 2
    50. King's Quest III: To Heir is Human

I have so many thoughts about this list so I'll try to be succinct with each point.

After my initial run through, I had to double check that multiple people co-authored the piece.

I can't speak to King's Quest, Dota 2, Myst, StarCraft II or Civilization IV as I have not played those games. While I have not played others, I know what they are in a more complete way, so I feel I may have a valid opinion.

For franchises specificially:
    Guitar Hero. Not shocked. Don't like it, but not shocked.
    Resident Evil 4. I don't like RE but, this deserves a spot
    Gran Turismo 3. Are we sure that 3 is the best? I've only played 1,2 and 4 so I don't know. Had a chuckle not seeing Forza on this list.
    Super Smash Bros.: Uh Melee? Am I right?
    Call of Duty 4 > Call of Duty 2. Nuff said.
    Pong. Damn right Pong should be on the list.
    Castlevainia. I've never played any Castlevania, but I KNOW Symphony of the Night is the BEST in the series.
    Portal 2. Super happy to see this on the list. Didn't think it would be here, but I'm super glad it is.
    Braid. This game is neat. Especially the music. I think its a great take on platforming
    Fallout 3. Much like RE 4, haven't played it, but deserves to be here.
    Red Dead Redemption. While watching Red Dead Revisited is the first time I'm consuming the game, I don't see the appeal. But still, being so beloved, its presence is mandatory.
    Super Mario Kart. As long as one version is on the list, I'm good.
    Wolfenstein 3D. Please pardon the language... FUCK. YES.
    The Sims. Another Not Shocked entry.
    Pokemon Red/Blue. I'm not saying this as someone who has played and beaten the game many times: If you haven't watched Brandon Plays Pokemon, you'll understand why this is a great game.
    Donkey Kong. Of course its here.
    Mortal Kombat. MORTAL KOMBAT!!!
    Halo: Combat Evolved. Huh. Not 3. Interesting.
    GoldenEye 007. Not surprised like DK, RE 4, and Fallout 3
    Diablo II. Same as GoldenEye 007
    Space Invaders. Starting to notice a pattern the higher the list goes on deserving of a spot.
    Counter-Strike. Yep.
    Quake. I know Quake: Champions is a big pop on nostalgia, but isn't Quake 3 the more celebrated? I'm unclear on Quake's history.
    DOOM in the top 5... Again, please pardon the language: HELL. FUCKING. YES.

For Placement:
    Why is Bioshock so low? I've only played the first ~20 ish minutes but I respect it and it should be higher.
    I like to talk about Final Fantasy and I love the conversation that is derived from talking with others about which is there favorite over others and why. Allow me to say this: I'm playing VI for the first time right now, and I'm not done yet. I'm at the point where the Espers break through the Sealed Gate but I know about the World of Ruin and I have to say, I'm not all that stoked by it. Now its a good game, but doesn't crack my top 3 (It is personal top 5 though). VII is my favorite game of all time. With all of this said, VII should be in the top 15 and VI is in the top 10. Period.
    Microsoft Flight Simulator X. I've never even HEARD of this and its HIGHER than games like FF VII, Halo, Pokemon, Wolfenstein, Super Mario Kart, Red Dead, Rallout 3, Portal 2, and Bioshock. What. The. Hell?!
    ZORK is better than everything I just listed? Some may think so, but I would like to respectfully disagree.
    Rise of the Tomb Raider. At 18. Two words: Uncharted. Four.
    I haven't played Half-Life 2. And the fact its as low as 17 is confusing.
    The same can be said for GTA III, and I despise GTA.
    I have the same issue with Sim City 2000 as I do for Microsoft Flight Simulator X and Zork. WAY too high.
    World of Warcraft. This seems about right.
    The Oregon Trail. At nine? No. Just.... No.
    Minecraft over Super Mario Bros. and the Legend of Zelda? No, ALTHOUGH Minecraft's contribution to society and its impacts so it deserve a top 10 place. Just not ahead of the industry saver and the genre definer.
    I think Mr. Bosman would love the top of this list don't you?

For those that SHOULD be here, or the snubs that calls into question the selection criteria:
    The Last of Us, Uncharted 4, a Gears of War game, Mass Effect 2, Left 4 Dead (1 or 2), a Ratchet and Clank game, a God of War game, Shadow of the Colossus (I personal dislike, but I respect the opinion of so many others), Kingdom Hearts, Elder Scrolls III, IV, AND V (Never played any Elder Scrolls), any Street Fighter (I don't like fighting games but without SF II, the genre wouldn't be what it is today), Batman: Arkham City, any Metroid, Star Fox 64, Super Mario Galaxy (1 or 2)

My top 50 list NOT IN ORDER, draws from the examples I gave and some of the list here. Please keep in mind this list has games I REALLY don't like as a top 50 list SHOULD be as objective as possible. I KNOW EVERYONE who sees this will disagree, from some entries to most, but I love "Greatest of" discussions because they are so broad and in video games, the conversation covers SO MANY great games. I'm sure I've forgotten worthy entries. Without further ado, my list is as follows:

The Last of Us
    Super Mario 64
    Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Gears of War 2
    Mass Effect 2
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Ms. Pac-man
    Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time
    God of War
    Super Mario Bros.
    Shadow of the Colossus
    The Legend of Zelda
    Kingdom Hearts
    World of Warcraft
    Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    Final Fantasy VI
    Street Fighter II
    Counter Strike
    Batman: Arkham City
    Guitar Hero
    Super Metroid
    Grand Theft Auto III
    Star Fox 64
    Resident Evil 4
    Super Mario Galaxy 2
    Half-Life 2
    Gran Turismo 2
    Diablo II
    Super Smash Bros. Melee
    GoldenEye 007
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    Final Fantasy VII
    Halo 3
    Mortal Kombat
    Castlevainia: Symphony of the Night
    Donkey Kong
    Portal 2
    Pokemon Red/Blue
    Fallout 3
    Red Dead Redemption
    Wolfenstein 3D
    Super Mario Kart

I'm really sorry for the long post. Thank you so much for reading, if you have.

• Also.. RE4 over RE2?? Super Mario Kart over Mario Kart 64??

• In-house lists like this aren't really the way to go unless the reader is really familiar with writers. Like if EZA made one of these lists it'd be interesting and indicative of what they're about and value in games. I think you either have to go with a broad, international poll of authoritative opinions, or make a really concerted effort in weighing the values of already existing lists (see They Shoot Pictures for this application in film) if you want to do a 'best ever' deal.

I don't know these writers, or their authority in the medium. It appears only one of the contributors writes primarily about video games. The other six (observing only their handful of articles prior to this one), seem to write more on tech---which games fall into to be sure, but I'd consider them more of a visual art.

All that said, I don't like the article. If you want to make a list, make a list. If you want to include writing about why it's on the list, make sure the writing is good. Some of the blurbs are shockingly poor. Stop telling me what the player does in the game and tell me why it's great.

Also the list in general is so bereft of personality, of actual passion, I just don't care what comes next. There are great games on there, sure. There are also ones that simply aren't very good (though I'd likely feel that way about any 'best of' list---and I and everyone should, frankly). Why even do this?

• I don't understand why everyone is so hyped on Ocarina of Time. It's ok, nothing special. It's neat to see Link in 3D and the tunes are catchy. Other than that the game design is pretty mediocre, IMO.

• I would personally take 2/3 of the games on that list off. Feels like most of those were just taken from other top 50 list and combined with each other and randomizing them. This is why people who have no knowledge on that area should not make it.

• @Brannox, yeah, I'm interested in lists like this, even though I take them with a grain of salt. Funny you brought up Bioshock as following the Bioshock page on Facebook is how I even found out about this article. I noticed the comments were complaining about how low the game was so I figured I'd check it out for myself and share.

@Ringedwithtile, you hit the nail directly on the head with such precision and power, it went straight into the wood with one blow. The article felt lifeless and really out of touch, which adds to the humor for me. I actually love when certain YouTubers I follow post 'best of' lists; I never fully agree with their list, but I don't have to, it just gives me a better understanding of their personal interests and what games are defining for them. Now that you mention it, I'd be in for a personal EZA 'best of' but I know the fellas have a lot on their plate.

@matt, you have expressed an extremely unpopular opinion that I agree with 100%. The nostalgic love for that game is really staggering.

I expected more outrage over zero Persona games being on the list. I demand outrage.

• I have a suspicion that Kyle had a part in this article, since Tetris, Super Mario 64 and Zelda are on the top 3 spots. :P
    On serious note though, the list is questionable at best, in some cases laughable.
    I presume that the article was written by 6 older blokes who based their knowledge on the far past and their love for Nintendo, Rather than playing any recent games. Except for one of them, who tried Rise of the Tomb Raider and defended it with it's soul and it landed on 18th place in front of games that are considered classics. Now, that's hilarious.

I would also love that people would learn the difference between best of ALL TIME and best of ITS TIME. I know that you must have an appealing title, but these people write articles at one of the biggest magazine and should know the difference.

• DEAD at Rise of Tomb Raider, GoldenEye 007, and Angry Birds even making the lists.

• @matt said in Time's 50 Best Video Games of All Time:

I don't understand why everyone is so hyped on Ocarina of Time. It's ok, nothing special. It's neat to see Link in 3D and the tunes are catchy. Other than that the game design is pretty mediocre, IMO.

Atmosphere, scale, and progression.

• No metroid makes the whole list pointless

also PONG sucks

• @Oscillator I like all those things. Not seeing much of that in there. But to each their own.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.