Your least fav franchise in history?

• what are your least fav franchises in history?

for me

Resident Evil: I think entire franchise is very overrated especially resident evil 4 which has terrible controls and combat system. never really find apeal of Resident evil. and franchise is note even scary at all.

GTA: quite simply the most overrated franchise in history of mankind even worse that most of games recieve 10/10 is just not very good. GTA games have mediocre driving and shooting which are core elements. beside most of missions are also boring and repetetive.

Tomb Raider: Early games were mediocre and newer games are uncharted clones to compete with uncharted. franchise wouldnot be popular and will be forgotten if it include a male protagonist.

Mass Effect: They are hailed as one of the greatest RPG but its cover based Shooter. and shooting in this game is also mediocre. i couldnot complete mass effect 2 or 3 because i was so bored. its utterly generic space opera with one of the most bland and dull protagonist i have ever seen.

Halo: I played halo 1 2 and 3. and found all of them below average shooters. never played others so i cant comment on them.

Call of duty: First ever COD was good but still average game at best. rest are pretty bad especially COD4 which was praised as best FPS of that time but it was not. it was a game that single handedly ruined entire FPS genre.

Assassins Creed: One of the World worst franchise. release every year rehash over n over again. AC have very easy and simple repetetive gameplay and require no challenge at all.

so what are yours?

• Global Moderator

I dont agree with your list fully!

I do believe however that many series that are considered bad today, once started out great! I mean Halo for me are gold from 1-3 with reach and ODST. However after that its gone a bit down and feels like milking. Same with assassins creed. AC2 are one of my top games, but now it really feels like they pump out games just cause it makes money... which makes me sad.

And lets not even get started on CoD...

• Probably Gears of War. The first game while it had some flaws and bad lighting, was still an instant classic. Shotgun battles and chainsaw kills were extremely satisfyingly. And there was tons of fun to have with friends out shotgunning them. Or battling with snipers and explosive arrows.

The sequel and following games screwed all that up. Gears 2 still had an ok campaign, fun horde mode, and the deleted campaign chapter were good. But it was totally casualfied and despite the hyped addition of chainsaw battles. The original game was far more satisfyingly to get chain kills. As it was far more difficult to do and highly embarrassing for those caught in it. Gears 3 campaign was shit and idk why I brought it. Don't understand why some people are still into the franchise when it took a turn for the worst a long time ago.

• What happened to love and respect on this site? Plus, all you did was say vaguely bad things about some of the most popular franchises.

• You have a lot of "least" favorite franchises. ;)

Anyway, for me it'd have to be Souls. I hate the combat, hate how attacks feel like hitting rattly woven baskets with sticks, and hate the constant mob clearing every time you die. More than that, though, I despise what it has inflicted upon the larger games conversation. How everyone is so focused on difficulty as a determiner of quality and how everyone compares every game to Dark Souls (Especially Zelda!?! WTF even is that?). It has certainly contributed to the obsession with player agency that is homogenizing and limiting what games can be as an art form.

• I'm mostly indiffirent towards CoD.

I have also grown to dislike GTA a lot. I LOVE Vice City and San Andreas, but considering that 4 was so boring, and that 5 was the first game that I simply had to quit because the story and characters made me so mad it has lost a lot of appreciation from my part.

• for me Halo and Gears, i just never saw the fun with those series'

• That's a lot of least favourite franchises... what do you even play?

It's hard to pick one because there's always a good game out of the entire franchise.
    If I hated Call of Duty, I loved CoD 2 and 4. If I hated Assassin's Creed, I loved AC2 and 4 (coincidence?).

I'm with Jak on Gears. I think Gears is really uninspiring and overrated compared to competition. Shoving FPS gameplay in a third person game is so bad. But Gears 2 is okay, so I dunno if I would choose that.
    I really hate Forza for being a sim-wannabe, too arcadey, chasing Gran Turismo's heels and churning out so many iterations with no care or love, but Forza Horizon stopped doing that and went full arcadey. I haven't played it, but I'd probably enjoy it.

I think I got it. Fire Emblem and Fable. Fire Emblem is a strategy game that lacks a lot of tactical features seen in many strategy games that every time I play it, I'm extremely disappointed. No support attacking, no hex grids, just terrible. As for Fable, it's not about the broken promises, but it's just a sub-par RPG with mediocre combat. The alignment system is so shallow, and it was the main feature of the game.

These two franchises will suffice for now.

• That's difficult. the history of gaming is a long one, but no matter how hard I try to think of any game franchise I dislike more, no matter what I do, it always pops up on the top.
    Five Nights at Freddy's, I rather play Gone Home, Depression Quest and Revolution 60 in a row and top it off with an Action 52 binge before even watching a LP of a FNAF game, no, just no. Get a big hammer or an iron bat and smash those mascots at daytime.

• @Whoaness said in Your least fav franchise in history?:

That's a lot of least favourite franchises... what do you even play?

Back at GT we used to ask the same question.

Black Cell likes old school shooters with health packs. And also games like Stalker and Deus Ex. Along with some of the older Hitman games. I think he also likes the new Doom. So yes, his preference of games is pretty selective.

I really hate Forza for being a sim-wannabe, too arcadey, chasing Gran Turismo's heels and churning out so many iterations with no care or love, but Forza Horizon stopped doing that and went full arcadey. I haven't played it, but I'd probably enjoy it.

Forza is something that MS and Turn 10 screwed up on. It had a nice fanbase with great sales. But sales started declining big time as they chugged out releases far too quickly. And the value just isn't there content wise when you start doing yearly releases. Personality thought Turn 10 & MS should have made another racing IP to keep things fresh a long time ago. And to not conflict with the gameplay elements that appealed to the fans that help Forza 3 sell over 4 million copies.

• @Musou-Tensei My little brother had it on his iPod and I genuinely didn't even understand how the game works. It looks like a game where you don't do anything at all.

For me:

Far Cry. I've literally only played FC2 and that game was an abomination. An exercise in frustration. I've never played a "AAA" game so terrible. So I refuse to touch any of the others. They don't look nearly as bad as FC2 but IDC. Won't touch them.

• @frasafrase said in Your least fav franchise in history?:

What happened to love and respect on this site? Plus, all you did was say vaguely bad things about some of the most popular franchises.

I agree, I think the tone of this post is needlessly negative. Just some gratuitous bashing of franchises, calling each of them the "worst of all time" one after the other. Don't really see the point.

You could ask "What's a franchise/genre you can't get into?", and actually bring up interesting points and start a conversation. Instead this feels like a rant.

Let's try to keep the EZA spirit alive!

• @GoTaco said in Your least fav franchise in history?:

@Musou-Tensei My little brother had it on his iPod and I genuinely didn't even understand how the game works. It looks like a game where you don't do anything at all.

For me:

Far Cry. I've literally only played FC2 and that game was an abomination. An exercise in frustration. I've never played a "AAA" game so terrible. So I refuse to touch any of the others. They don't look nearly as bad as FC2 but IDC. Won't touch them.

FC2 was an abomination. My worst purchase of last gen. FC3 however, while I was extremely hesitant to play. I decided to give it a rent seeing as some GTers and others enjoyed it and much was changed. And it truly was a good game. I actually think Black Cell liked it too :joy: .

Blood Dragon was obviously a hit for many gamers. And FC4, while it has two of the most shit allies in recent memory. It was pretty fun too, and has one of the best and memorable villain I've come across.

• @GoTaco said in Your least fav franchise in history?:

@Musou-Tensei My little brother had it on his iPod and I genuinely didn't even understand how the game works. It looks like a game where you don't do anything at all.

For me:

I do agree about far cry. franchise has always been potentially wasted

Far cry 1: Amazing game until second half, trigens came in. worst enemies of all time and ruined the entire game. thus making second half so bad that it even overshadow the good of first half. luckily crytek improve greatly on Crysis 1 and become one of the GOAT FPS.

Far cry 2: Poor mans Stalker. great idea. terrible execution. basically just maleria simulator with driving and driving.

Far cry 3: Show us Vaas as Next best thing as Villain. only end up secondary villain for first half and thus ruined the experience. plus too many long unskippable cutscene of TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE STORY!.

Far cry 4: FC3 copy and paste. lazy design

Far cry primal: again FC3 copy and paste but by removing guns and give stone and arrows.

• FIFA: I love football, but It really doesn't need a new game every year.
    Sims: I know there is a fanbase for it, but... Ugh! I like building a house, but I feel no need to actually oversee people living in them.
    Fighting games: These games are meant to be only played with a friend, and even then it turns into hostile and intense button smashing.
    Starcraft: I don't care about the characters, the universe, story and I don't like sci-fi strategy in general. Now that I think about it, I never liked any Blizzard games. Same reasons I guess. They are also filled with micro-transactions and I consider them as money-grubbing as EA.

Even though I agree that the original post has a LOT of least favorite franchise(s), I see no other problem with it. Bad things of the industry should be recognised too, and I love and respect honesty more than positivity.

• I played Gears 1 and 2 in 2010. I absolutely hated the first one. It made me angry when I played it. Tbf it was probably because I had played so many TPS games that came after Gears 1. I actually enjoyed Gears 2 after that though.

Gran Turismo 5 made me despise the series. I had vague fond memories of GT1 and GT2, they are gone now. First the install and patching time, then the weird, awkward UI. And using X to accelerate! In 2010! That game took so long to come out, I had even bought the Prologue and gave it a pass for being bad. Biggest disappointment I've probably ever had.

• @GoTaco
    All you do is sitting in a room with several still frame cameras witch you have to switch constantly to see if the animatronics are moving, once that happens you have to lock the doors left and right of you, but for some reason they have their own power station so you can't just lock them all the time.

• Well, I don't really dislike any franchises. But there are definitely some that I don't 'get' the popularity of, and that I personally cannot get into (often despite trying repeatedly) or that I just find overrated entirely. That doesn't mean games in these franchises are bad, they're just not for me.

• GTA. The atmosphere and graphics and free-roaming options are all excellent. Despite that I feel myself getting bored in these games, or honestly sorta mad at the protagonists and the story. The missions are rarely interesting to me too. The games just don't appeal to me.

• The Elder Scrolls. Yes, this is a beloved franchise with millions of fans and top ranking games all over. But I cannot get into them. The games have beautiful worlds with a lot to explore, uncover and fight. They just feel lackluster and unpolished to me. There are no intriguing NPC's, the story is rarely interesting. This franchise makes me mad at myself sorta, because I feel I would have hundreds of hours of fun if I just found the games any good. And I just don't. I get so bored in every Bethesta game.

• Assassin's Creed. The prime example to me of publishers/developers not knowing when to stop. Every game since Assassin's Creed 2 has more or less been a rehash of the same features and mechanics with a new coat of paint. The execption being Black Flag, which honestly should be a pirate game with no connection or mechanics borrowed from Assassin's Creed.

• What are your least favorite movies? Mine are:

• Shawshank redemption
    • The Godfather
    • Citizen Cain
    • Schindlers List
    • Pulp Fiction
    • Fight Club

What are yours? :P

• @edsortiz said in Your least fav franchise in history?:

What are your least favorite movies? Mine are:

• Shawshank redemption
    • The Godfather
    • Citizen Cain
    • Schindlers List
    • Pulp Fiction
    • Fight Club

What are yours? :P

Please do not hijack existing threads. You should instead make a new thread in its proper section.