Late to the Party: Resident Evil 4 (HD)

• alt text
    Spoiler comments are welcome, use the spoiler tag.
    Hey, Allies! After getting pretty steamy like the rest of the EZA gang for that RE7, I realized that maybe it was time to go back and enjoy Resident Evil 4 in its entirety as it is currently on sale for a few dollars on Steam. The only time I've played it was for about 10 minutes on Gamecube in the early 2000's. I took the time to play RE5 when it came out and liked it well enough to finish it.

I don't love horror games, but Resident Evil is a classic franchise that I've gotta catch up on before 7 gets out. So here my journey begins, I suppose. NeoGAF does LTTP threads on the odd occasion, figured we might make one here. I would encourage anyone who has not played it, or played it before to go and play it so we can talk amongst ourselves here. Otherwise this is me reacting to a game by myself, which is also cool if not a bit antisocial.

• Thus far disappointed there's no subtitle option and intrigued that it (at least initially) takes place in Europe.

• Awesome horror game and one of the best RE entries. I think there is a HD remaster project taking place for the game. I believe only a handful of levels have been reworked. Be sure to give it a try!. http://www.re4hd.com/

• @SIX2SE7EN an HD remaster for an HD remaster? Now I've seen it all.

Currently having problems with the controls, the graphics are fine.

• Global Moderator

Now I understand what LTTP means on neogaf! Thanks. I might do one of these for A Link to the Past.

RE4 was the first RE I completed. I went on to play 5, Remake, 2 & 3 (weird order, I know) and even though I do like 4 & 5, I definitely prefer the earlier games. Things just felt a lot more connected.

It's a little odd as I feel like anything I have to say on 4 is negative when really I think the game is fantastic. The situations you are thrown into are great, locations are awesome, it has the best boss fights in the series I think.

Hope you're enjoying it.

• @tokeeffe9 said in Late to the Party: Resident Evil 4 (HD):

Now I understand what LTTP means on neogaf! Thanks. I might do one of these for A Link to the Past.

RE4 was the first RE I completed. I went on to play 5, Remake, 2 & 3 (weird order, I know) and even though I do like 4 & 5, I definitely prefer the earlier games. Things just felt a lot more connected.

It's a little odd as I feel like anything I have to say on 4 is negative when really I think the game is fantastic. The situations you are thrown into are great, locations are awesome, it has the best boss fights in the series I think.

Hope you're enjoying it.

Did see the earlier games on GT retrospective years ago, but I'm going to get on RE1 Remake after I finish up 4.

Just finished Chapter one and this will take me a while considering how hard the camera and movement is to control.

• I'm not big on horror games either but RE4 made me a believer. The controls do take getting used to, but once you do, you can get into this zone where you're snapping from one headshot to the next. Glorious. One interesting note:

Spoiler: the game has hidden difficulty scaling depending on how you're doing. I never realized this until years later when I saw a video of it. Really helped with the pacing.

In terms of weapons, avoid the TMP. Everything else should serve you well.

• @Mechanoid ohh, nice info there. I bought a few upgrades to the pistol and the shotgun thus far. Will the ammunition become a problem down the road like in 5? Not a fan of wasting my pistol bullets on every tripwire.

• @Hoken IIRC, I rarely had problems with ammo but its probably because I stuck with the Red9 (a handgun later on) and tried headshotting everything I could. I saved shotgun ammo for crowds and when things got really hectic. If you find a magnum however, I'd save as much of it as possible for really hard enemies/bosses later on in the game as magnum ammo is rare (but don't bother upgrading them). Also grab as much treasure items as possible since you'll want those upgrades especially:

Spoiler: The Striker shotgun has an ammo upgrade that'll let you hold 100 rounds. Might make the game a little too easy, but it's only possible near the end anyway.

• @Mechanoid Yeah I'm conserving my shotgun ammo. Occasionally I waste a whole pistol magazine (13) on four guys as they're a bitch to headshot and take 3 hits in the head to die.

18 bullets left now! Pining for some loot.

• OP DON'T BUY THE TMP, DONT BUY THE BLACKTAIL

don't fall for the black tail meme. you get a much better handgun very soon after. save your pesetas.

by the way allies,

alt text best handgun...BEST reload animation. of ALL TIME!

• @Hoken Show 'em who's boss! :smiley:

• @Mechanoid can I sell all my treasure or is this a Dark Souls situation? Have a mask that can be combined with something else so not selling that yet.

• @Hoken I'm positive you can sell any treasure as they aren't used for anything else. Definitely save items that can be combined and sell them complete. If you're going to stick with the Red9, you can sell the Punisher handgun for some extra cash. IIRC you can even sell your healing items, if you're really strapped for cash (not advised). And I also agree with YoYoSwitch: the Blacktail and TMP just aren't worth it.

• @Mechanoid I see. The fact that I can't buy ammo from the trader is currently making Leon's life kinda sucky at the moment.

• @Hoken You can sell all treasure. When pieces of treasure can fit into one or the other, it will usually state quite explicitely in the description.

Also: get the Red9

Still adore this game. The pacing is perfect, the weapons feel great, nice enemy-design, campy villains, interesting locations...

• Unexpected first boss. Pretty cool!

• I'm convinced I'm supposed to be able to buy ammo here

alt text

Edit: I can't buy ammo, but I can... jump into his shop and steal some when he's standing there? What.

• @Hoken You can't buy ammo, but if you upgrade the capacity on a weapon you'll get a free refill. Useful for the Striker later on.

• @Mechanoid Ah, shame. At least I get to enjoy this in the shop. Pretty jolly!

Youtube Video