Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (PC/PS4/XB1)

• Man I died a lot trying to get to the guy to reinstate my augs. Looking forward to what's next now that I have added invisibility to the mix.

• Looks like a new patch should be coming sometime this week to fix the issue.
    http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=190974&page=4

• @Lexad I've played through Human Revolution and got to say I was surprised how tough this section was considering how early its in the game.

Eventually got through it without firing a bullet, was tense though. Like whatever.

• So I played about halfway through the game (got to Golem City) and decided to restart as a pacifist run. One irritating note, it doesn't really tell you if you killed anyone. I did get the achievement, but its sort of a 50/50 if you missed something.

The gameplay and story are amazing, the only downside is what others have said. The ending is a bit abrupt. Its like its missing that "wrap up" cinematic that tells you what happened around the world. In comparison to how grandiose Human Revolution's ending felt, it definitely leaves you wanting more. Even if the game was 100 hours long, that ending would still feel lacking.

That being said, I'm still going to do another playthrough to obtain the ghost achievement. I'll probably make that one a lethal playthrough on the higher difficulty. The 4th highest one is hardcore mode, dying is permanent.

• Loving this game so much, also came across a train glitch on the PS4. Also game is saying I killed 29 people. WTF?!?

• Update: I'm such a happy gamer right now. I don't know how far I am into it, maybe half way. Granted, the original Deus Ex is one of my favorite games ever so maybe I'm a little biased, but this might be one of the best games I have ever played. I haven't seen side quests like this in a game since Witcher 3. I'm also loving these new augs like the remote hacking and the taser-arm. Also, can you think of any game that has more 'context' than this game? There is context everywhere that builds the story, in newspapers, on computers, overheard from people talking, on posters, etc. If you are familiar with Human Revolution and the original Deus Ex, there are tons of plot and story links as well. I even like Jensen as a character this time around (wasn't a big fan of him in HR). I can't even handle this right now, I'm in a state of gaming nirvana.

• @V8Dave DxCat <(I never asked for this) ezaSophie

• I think Mankind Divided's quests kick the shit out of the Witcher 3's.

Witcher 3, a bland peasant begs you to find their missing brother, you search for them, aaaaah, they're a bland werewolf and they killed some people. Surprise. Oh, and there was a love interest at some point.

Another case (This one's a succubus, oooooh, juicy!), you're contracted to hunt down a monster plaguing a brothel. It's a succubus robbing the patrons. You can kill her or let her go.

Mankind Divided, you get stopped at a police checkpoint and asked for papers. If you sneak into a nearby house you discover a kidnapped girl (who has a personality) being forced to forge state permits in an extortion scheme. She asks you both to expose the frauds and help these two augmented people get their fake permits for real, ensuring they will be immune to deportation from the other police checkpoints. To expose the fake cops you either gun them down or find the sympathetic real officer nearby.

To get the two augs certified, you have to give them their permits: One is an actress with some kind of split personality disorder, the other is a man who killed his grandchild during the Incident (who you have to save from being robbed quickly or he's a goner). Assuming they're both still alive, you then have to sneak into a permit office and validate their IDs on the police database. Once you get there, however, the system goes into alert mode and you have to pick one of the two augs to certify, assuring the other will get sent to Golem with their obviously-fake permit.

If you root around long enough in Golem you'll find the person you damned in a hovel. You can talk to them and come to terms with your actions. Y'know, like human beings. When I tried to follow up with Dandelion's girlfriend after her quest in the Witcher 3 she just had the same line of dialogue, over and over.

And I know my dramatic verbiage is introducing bias, but I could give a damn. Linear and limited-area games are just better than open world ones in so many plain to see ways.

Oh, and as well as some wonky map markers in that quest, my game just crashed after it became night in Prague and some heavy shit went down in the story, so perhaps this game's a bit little buggy. Still better than the Witcher 3.

• @Haru17 said in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided:

I think Mankind Divided's quests kick the shit out of the Witcher 3's.

Witcher 3, a bland peasant begs you to find their missing brother, you search for them, aaaaah, they're a bland werewolf and they killed some people. Surprise. Oh, and there was a love interest at some point.

Odd comparison. Witcher 3 a metric fuckton of quests while MD has relatively few and some of them are honestly pretty crappy (the Neon one especially comes to mind).
    But yes Witcher 3's quests quickly falls into pretty shallow routine, but the writing and voiceacting tends to carry the quests.

One issue I have however with MD is that while many of the quests are good, almost none of the choices you make or information you uncover in the game matters or has an impact. You would assume (considering the more limited number of choices in MD) that more of them would matter.

• @suplextrain Do you mean how you can complete the same objective multiple ways? And that makes the player agency read as less impactful to you? What do you want them to do that they're not doing, specifically?

• @Haru17 said in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided:

@suplextrain Do you mean how you can complete the same objective multiple ways? And that makes the player agency read as less impactful to you? What do you want them to do that they're not doing, specifically?

I'm saying (without going into spoilers) that things you do in MD have little to no consequence or impact. Almost nothing you do matters or changes things. You can spend almost the entire game "researching" a key character and it has 0 payoff. Who you side with basically doesn't matter and so on. Almost nothing in the game that is set up or a choice that you make has a payoff/consequence.
    This is one of my main complaints with MD.

• I just bought the game for PS4. I won't have funds for a PC upgrade for at least 12 months so I went ahead and said screw it. This game intrigues me. I also vacationed in Prague last year and I found it to clearly be a city of the future in Europe currently, so I genuinely am interested in the fictional future Prague.

EDIT:

Wow, this feels clunky a f on PS4 tbh. I mean I even find it kinda difficult to succeed being stealthy because the camera and movement feels choppy. Lip sync is very off too. I'm barely into the game but it just doesn't feel as smooth as a 2016 game should. Especially after something like MGS V which has insanely fleshed out control. 1 hr in, not anywhere close to a judgement.

• Just finished it, was something cut from the end?

• @DMCMaster Nothing is missing.
    Nothing to see here.

alt text

• Some right stuff going on in the latest entry of Deus Ex like the rpg elements, but I have a very hard time starting it up after a few hours.
    It has that overwhelming nature to it like Witcher 3, which is a great game, yet can't mentally be burdened by starting it up again, remembering where I was, what I was doing, why my inventory is as it is etc.
    Specifically when it comes to Deus Ex MD, I dislike the movement/aim and cover system, it feels clunky and off, rather than smooth and coherent.
    Also the setting in Deus Ex MD doesn't interests me, I find the characters off and honestly I think a complete reset would be better for the franchise, just a fresh start instead of the current path.

• @Ilkhani said in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided:

Some right stuff going on in the latest entry of Deus Ex like the rpg elements, but I have a very hard time starting it up after a few hours.
    It has that overwhelming nature to it like Witcher 3, which is a great game, yet can't mentally be burdened by starting it up again, remembering where I was, what I was doing, why my inventory is as it is etc.

I find I have a similar "issue".

• @Sheria said in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided:

@Ilkhani said in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided:

Some right stuff going on in the latest entry of Deus Ex like the rpg elements, but I have a very hard time starting it up after a few hours.

I find I have a similar "issue".

It was going to be one big game then square enix decide to cut content in order to make it a trilogy. next game should be vastly different otherwise we will witness another invisible wars.

Eidos want to make a complete game but square enix is shitty company behind thier back. corporate greed is really ruining great franchise.

Hitman is episodic and I have to wait for a complete version for next year. SE beign SE.

• The ending in this one was REALLY abrupt, like really. I had heard a thing or two about it being that way, but it still managed to make me go like "what the hell... it ended?". You really shouldn't end your game like that.

That said, I still enjoyed practically everything about the game. At one point I used a phrase "aggressive euphoria", that that was the thing the game was offering in its best moments. So good, when the player gets deep into the game world and its plots. Hopefully we'll get the resolution sooner than in, say, five years again.

• Finally found some free time to finish it up this weekend (pacifist run). It's a great game but it really feels like SE's fingerprints are all over it. The one-time use per game items is pretty messed up and the Breach side game is pretty bland, at least for me. I know we don't have to buy microtransactions and what not, but you can't help but feel like resources were diverted away from the campaign into something designed to make more money... I get it: if my company was forking out millions to make something, I'd expect some decent ROI and mitigate risk. But still, feels bad.

4.5/5 - Will play again (all-kill run this time)