Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (PC/PS4/XB1)

• My only complaints with the game are the sometimes awkward animations, the very, very sub-par lip sync, and the length. 45 hours is kind of a long time, but I expected more for some reason, considering I exhausted every bit of content I found. Other than that, the game was great. I'd still give it a 9/10.

• its an amazing web page i love to tell you about my Dues Ex Mankind Divided Coat that i bought from LeathersJackets .com

• Some of you played the first DLC? Worth it or better wait for a sale/bundle with the second one? Thx

• @Maczime said in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided:

Some of you played the first DLC? Worth it or better wait for a sale/bundle with the second one? Thx

I heard that it's pretty short and Breach mode focused. Doesn't seem like people are liking it all that much.

• @suplextrain said in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided:

Breach mode focused

Welp, no thanks :D

(But thank you for the answer!)

• After going on a shorter game binge over the last week with Hyper Light Drifter (not really short for me) and Inside, I'm in the mood to dig into a chunkier game.

So I put in roughly 2-3 hours into Mankind Divided last night which brought me to the very start of Prague. Got in the recap and I was good to go.

My early thoughts is just that I do really like these types of games where I have a lot of choice but with that, it brings a lot of menus to sift through and controls to get used to. Those were the main things I was tackling with last night. I'm just thinking of other similar games I've played recently (Hitman, Dishonored 2) and I think it's taking me a little longer to get used to those things here.

Not a major complaint but just something that could be improved on.

Looking forward to the open format of Prague now that I am through the tutorial level.

• @tokeeffe9 Take your time and explore everywhere you can, every place has a story to tell. It's an amazing game.

• I've played another 6-7 hours of Deus Ex since my last post so I'd like to let out a few brief thoughts.

The game feels huge. The last thing I did was go into the shooting range and basically understand more mechanics. So I still feel like I'm only scratching the surface.

I've found myself going from one side mission to the other so far. I covered most of the area I started out in I feel and only used the subway to another part of Prague last night. So honestly, it's all a bit overwhelming and I love that.

I made a point in the Dishonored 2 topic, saying that I used to say that game controlled well in comparison to Deus Ex and that now I think Dishonored has some control issues. Well, I wasn't too far off still. They're not worth comparing but man I do find Deus Ex to be a bit of a mess to control. There are so many differnt inputs to open different menus, holster weapons, cover next to a wall. I find myself expecting to do one thing and then doing something completely different. Now I know I'm still early but I don't think this opinion will change. The game has a complicated control setup (playing on PS4).

And the other thing kind of applies to the above criticism. The game has some serious jank. I spent a solid 5 minutes moving a bin onto a car, trying to jump on the bin and get into the vent above. It was an absolute pain, he just would not climb on that bin half the time and then his jump to the vent would be restricted. It was frustrating.

Now to preface this one, I'm a big souls fan, I love the rag doll physics in that game, I've a good laugh about them. However in a stealth game (while still funny), you need to be able to move bodies around and not have to worry about them getting stuck or not being able to place them correctly. This hasn't affected me gameplay wise yet but I feel like it's only a matter of time because it came really close last night.

Anyway, it's all very early stuff yet and the criticism is just me being exactly that, critical. I'm having a blast with the game and look forward to my next session.

(Maybe not as brief as I thought)

• The clunkiest thing about Mankind Divided was how you would be detected unless you activated both invisibility and muted footsteps while dashing across a scene. However, actually doing that drained all of your power even if you had invested in power. I don't know how they thought that was supposed to work, because the result is invisibility is super weak in this game.

That's why Skyrim's forgiving stealth is still my favorite compared to all of these self-described stealth games. You can cast muffle, or invisibility, or just sneak around normally and it's not so hypersensitive that your sneaky approach will fail often and throw you into open combat which your build probably isn't effective at. I wish more stealth games were fun like that or at least had a setting, especially open world ones like MGS. Even Fallout 4 got the stealth wrong by making it hypersensitive.

• @Haru17 said in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (PC/PS4/XB1):

The clunkiest thing about Mankind Divided was how you would be detected unless you activated both invisibility and muted footsteps while dashing across a scene. However, actually doing that drained all of your power even if you had invested in power. I don't know how they thought that was supposed to work, because the result is invisibility is super weak in this game.

I thought invisiblity was still very useful in this game. It makes some of the harder stealth sections far more manageable. So long as you save up on the reserve batteries it's fine.
    I certainly don't want it to function like in Human Revolution because in that game invis was overpowered.

That's why Skyrim's forgiving stealth is still my favorite compared to all of these self-described stealth games. You can cast muffle, or invisibility, or just sneak around normally and it's not so hypersensitive that your sneaky approach will fail often and throw you into open combat which your build probably isn't effective at. I wish more stealth games were fun like that or at least had a setting, especially open world ones like MGS. Even Fallout 4 got the stealth wrong by making it hypersensitive.

Hm, I think out of these recent stealth games my favorites would have to be Dishonored 2 and Hitman. Skyrim had too many issues with the AI for my liking. I mean people made all those jokes and videos for a reason

Youtube Video

• @suplextrain Yeah, but I'm not Huber, I don't care about sight lines or meme videos. There's a problem when I literally can't play an entire genre of game the way it's intended (open combat not being a selling point in Deus Ex and Dishonored), so a setting that makes stealth a little more forgiving so you can move at a faster pace would have been nice.

Besides, these games are RPGs. If I built my character around stealth, I want to be able to do stealth consistently.

• @Haru17 said in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (PC/PS4/XB1):

@suplextrain Yeah, but I'm not Huber, I don't care about sight lines or meme videos. There's a problem when I literally can't play an entire genre of game the way it's intended (open combat not being a selling point in Deus Ex and Dishonored), so a setting that makes stealth a little more forgiving so you can move at a faster pace would have been nice.

Besides, these games are RPGs. If I built my character around stealth, I want to be able to do stealth consistently.

Well you can stealth without the invisibility, that's kind of the point. But the way stealth works in an RPG like Skyrim is different from a game like say DE: MD. In the former it's less about player skill and more about stats determining if you're seen or not. In the latter it's focused on avoiding enemy vision cones (be it hiding behind cover, disabling security or using alternate routes) and using diversions. I think it's less about one of them being more forgiving and more about how they handle stealth differently.
    I mean the invis in Deus Ex isn't required to ghost the game while trying to stealth in say Skyrim without putting points into Stealth skills and gear won't get you far (so you can't really rely on mechanical skill for stealth).

• Well I put some significant time into Deus Ex over the weekend and completed it last night. Before digging too deep into it I do want to say I'd a great time with Mankind Divided. These are the type of games that I tend to like most.

Prague is great. I think in general it's just a cool city to pick as a hub and give a futuristic taste of but what I really like about the hub is how readable everything is from a game design perspective. I think the development team really nailed it with giving the player enough direction to get a good understanding of the area. They put things into an aesthetic which didn't seem 'gamey' yet were there for that exact reason like the huge apartment numbers, unique areas for the Bank and Red Light District. My only real issue with Prague itself is having to go between the two different areas. There are some side missions which have you going back and forth quite a bit and that constant going to the subway and waiting for the next area to load is a bit annoying.

Which brings me to probably the most disappointing thing about the game. You essentially have this one hub broken into 2 and that's it. When I said I was overwhelmed initially it was because I assumed there would be another hub you'd go between and the first time yo go to the station you see 5 stops in total so I thought Prague was broken into 5 areas when really it's broken into 2 and a mission. This alone makes it feel like the game was significantly cut.

More positively, the main missions and side quests are fantastic. For the most part they are well written, all the extra information on the pocket secretaries and laptops you hack is pretty interesting and does a nice job fleshing out the world and area you're in. I like how you're given these difficult choices a few times and they genuinely are difficult to pick. I spent a nice bit of time debating what to do. I did read back on the topic though and do agree that while they are very good self contained stories they don't really impact what happens in the game in any meaningful way. It would have been more interesting if lets say, you saw more police presence checking and talking about forgeries and you had to go a different way to get somewhere, just something that would affect you a bit more.

I have to talk about the augmentations a little. I think this game suffers in the same way as Dishonored 2 where the new stuff really isn't that interesting. I found myself playing through the game and upgrading all my old augs again. I think the only new one I even used was remote hacking. Now like Dishonored 2, most of the good new looking augs did seem to be more aimed at kills so I completely avoided them anyway but I personally thought they lacked creativity. Also, I felt like the credits are pretty worthless, I'd a load and my only real issue was finding merchants to buy stuff off. I bring this up because I feel like you're way OP by the end of the game where you can just buy some cells and go invisible for long periods to bypass an area which is basically what I did in the last two main missions.

Just three small things as I think I mentioned both. This game has some serious stutters and frame drops on the PS4 Pro. It's not consistently happening but it's very obvious when it does happen. The controls in this game are just poor. I mentioned how you go between all these different menus and swapping things around. Looking around feels weirdly fast when the character himself feels quite slow. And lastly, the jank. I don't think I need to add more than how frightened I am every time I have to drag a body around.

The last thing I'd like to bring up is the story. I think initially it's not the easiest to actually grasp what the focus of the game is but as you get to the 2/3rd mark it's a lot clearer. The issue is that the game ends so abruptly on this one part which really feels like the time when you should be finally digging into the core of it. On top of that, to add salt to the wound, they have a cut scene during the credits which piques your interest more and reminds you "Oh ya, the game started with these guys". So it is frustrating, just as you're really into it the game ends. Also you get a few name drops from the previous game that again, just makes it feel like cut content. So I'm hoping that they do wrap this story up as they tease the player so much.

And those are my main thoughts of the game. Not sure if I came across too negative but I did really love it without thinking it necessarily significantly improved on Human Revolution. Hopefully it won't be the last we see of this story.

Edit: One last thing, I've been reminded about the soundtrack. For me, I felt like it was just there. Like I think it's good but there is nothing that particularly stuck me and I think Human Revolution had such an iconic soundtrack that this one just felt like more of the same. Not bad but not great either, in the middle.

• On the most recent Frame Trap (from July 28, 2017), Bloodworth talked about A Criminal Past, one of the DLCs for Mankind Divided. @tokeeffe9 I'd highly suggest listening to Blood's description of the expansion, and try it out sometime. It's really great

• @jifw52 I was actually listening to that and at the time of purchasing Dues Ex, I decided I just wanted the main game really.

I might go back to the dlc sometime, but it not advancing the story is a little disappointing to me.