Make It Better! Bend Your Favorite Franchise To Your Will: Forum Edition

• The company that develops your favorite franchise is holding a contest to see who its "true" fans are. You enter the contest and breeze through the questions. You could have easily passed this contest in your sleep if you were competent enough to use your hands and form full sentences while in dream land. Within a week, you receive an email detailing your prize - you haven't been given some sort of limited edition game or console, no, the prize you are given is much more substantial. You are allowed to pitch any one idea to the team, that with a good reasoning put behind it, will be implemented in their next game.

So go wild. What's the one idea that would make your favorite franchise even better? Even if the development team you loved is defunct, let's say they're coming together for one last hurrah, thanks to your suggestion. I'll start us off.

Persona. It's so damn good. I could gush about it for hours but the idea I'd want them to implement is an idea they've used before (just not at its full potential) - I want a party that isn't filled with high school students. Both games that form Persona 2 have party members that aren't in high school but that isn't fully explored, plus you end up spending a lot of time in schools anyway. If you take the 'slice of life' aspects present in 3 & 4 and apply them to a job, I think you'd have more interesting results with a less rigid schedule - depending on the job. To further steal ideas from Persona 2, you could work as a journalist (or maybe even a detective) with various people in the town offering you information for your story/case. Do you talk to the man at the bar that doesn't know much to raise your Hanged Man arcana to max or do you trust the barista at a coffee shop that can fully flesh out your case? I also think it'd be easier to dive into way darker subjects if you have a cast of adults. Depression, alcoholism, drug abuse, isolation all become much more poignant when it can't be chalked up to teenage angst. The series already isn't really marketed towards teens, I've never understood the constant need for high school students to save the day. Get on it Atlus!

• Not my favourite but...

The Last of Us

After playing The Evil Within and Resident Evil ReMake, I've come to realize that Naughty Dog has the potential to create one of the best horror experiences ever. Whether you like their games or not, it is clear that their games are possibly the best in the industry when it comes to presentation, fluidity, and control. The level of polish on their games are phenomenal. The Last of Us was no exception (less a few bugs before first patch). TLOU was somewhat marketed as a narrative driven survival game, but after many playthroughs, I'd say it is more like a narrative driven action adventure (yes I understand genre labeling is better for marketing than describing actual gameplay, but I digress). When one chooses easy mode the entire concept of survival is thrown out the window. Resources for crafting are plentiful and so are health packs. Even on Hard the game gives you plenty. It is only when you reach the Survival (hardest) difficulty when you will have some trouble surviving and certainly won't get enough upgrade materials to rank all of your weapons up in one play. That's as tough as the survival aspect goes. Some resource limitations that can be bested by sheer skillful play. The horror elements are there in many areas but are not a persistent theme.

In the story, we have Joel and Ellie travelling across the USA over the span of four seasons. It was great but to make TLOU2 better, lets make it a self contained location like the RE Mansion, Rapture, or Butcher Bay. Let's have more need to survive as well as upping the horror elements tenfold. You could play as somebody trapped inside the [MILD SPOILER] cannibal rapist David's colony. How to escape his colony like Ellie had to? Re-visit old locations with a new spice to it. Have both human and infected enemies like in the original but lets not space everything out as much. Make it more intense and close combat like The Evil Within. Naughty Dog has the tool set to make the most polished horror, let's have it!

• @SabotageTheTruth

Is that you, Peter Molyneux?

• @flower_arrangement Yes, I have revealed myself.

• I co-sign Sabotage too. P4 is my first Persona game, and I enjoy it, but the badass characters feel so not badass at all aha. Kenji would literally get murdered by an actual biker gangster aha.

Honestly tho, P5 looks to be a lot more mature in that regard. I can tell it won't be as kiddy as P4.

• @SabotageTheTruth

alt text

Now get back in your cube, ya fraud.

• @GoTaco I would love to see the sequel set either during or soon after the initial outbreak. I think it could totally work with your idea if its set in a town or city (maybe Boston to coincide with the original) where infected numbers are growing and maybe there are looters, gangs, military personnel trying to quarantine areas or killing indiscriminately to stop the spread, etc. Maybe your character is trying to escape or make it to a safe zone or family or something and you just need to survive to get there. I would love to see it start in chaos and quickly drop off to a really tense atmosphere where anything moving around will probably want to kill you, while the environment constantly degrades and changes throughout the game (maybe you need to traverse the same section again but its been blocked off or quarantined and you need to find another way)

• @Faaip

Amazing idea. The chaos of the infection would be incredible. They built a light lore in TLOU as well. The Fireflies aren't as wholesome as the average player seems to think. I bet they've done some extreme things to develop the structure they have. I bet they could go somewhere with their back story. Like you said, quarantine zones are a part of the lore too. Some came and fell, and some still go strong. What happened in Pittsburgh to make the place turn into one giant trap?

• @GoTaco Thanks! Yeah you're right about the lore they started in TLOU. I think it would be cool to explore that a bit more instead of doing a direct sequel that no seems to want. If the whole country (world?) was hit by the outbreak, then there's a lot of stories that could be told!

• I have an idea for Pokemon, but it's not exactly my favourite. I made this idea when Brandon was talking about how Pokemon are filled with dumb trainers who don't utilize the full potential of pokemon or having six pokemons.

Like the idea for the Souls games with invading PVP, but done asynchronously, imagine if random parts of the world would contain trainers from your friends list or random people. As people play the game, the game records their Pokemon set up at certain points of their travels. That data is then uploaded to servers and available. When their friends start the game up, the game uses that data to populate the maps with additional trainers with those Pokemon set up, so you would feel like you're actually being challenged by a smart trainer because they are actually players themselves.

Now it may sound like people can break this system and put out stupidly hard trainers in the world, but the game will only upload data for players in the same area. For example, the second area of Pokemon Red where you only had access to simple Pokemon like Ratatas and Pidgeys. When you go to the third area or the next city, it will record what Pokemon you have and upload that data. And for player who do weird things like try and get a Pidgeotto right at the beginning, but normalizing levels and skills for early parts of the game could be done to make it fair. What matters is that you see your friends name and their Pokemon team.

Now, for a franchise I like, Witcher. We know Dandelion is a playboy and loves to woo girls to fall in love with him, but we gotta play as Geralt. Now imagine Witcher 3 having a dating sim mode where you find special ladies in the game, do quests for them, go on dates with them, and win their favour. It would be a hilarious side quest to have in the game. Games like the older GTAs, not GTA4, had this feature as well, and it would be cool to see it with Witcher 3. In fact, Witcher 1 kind of had this with the nude art card collecting, but they actually said they removed this idea since Witcher 2 because they wanted love to be more meaningful. Ugh, just give me my dating sims!

• Let Taxman and Stealth make official Sonic games instead of ports of older ones.

...which they're doing now with Mania. Damn, did I secretly travel back in time or something?

• @Whoaness I like that Pokemon idea a lot actually. That has (and continues) to be a large problem for me throughout the game - trainer battles really become a chore, they aren't challenging, and you end up seeing the same Pokémon hundreds of times.

• I just want to play darts in my apartment in GTA online. There's ONE FUCKING DART BOARD ON THE ENTIRE MAP.

That and go drinking in all the bars with my mates. A bit of pool wouldn't hurt either.

• Give Star wars to Bioware! Oh wait..
    Give Spider-man to Insomniac! Oh wait..
    Give something other than Metal Gear to Kojima! Oh wait..

• Persona 3 wiping all out all night.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.