Nioh Beta Bois

• The beta was released on PS4 this Tuesday and is up until September 6th. The changes include a rebalancing of the beginning area's enemies, removal of the weapon durability system, addition of the dual katana and gun weapons, and the addition of new areas.

Anyone else playing this?

• Yeah I like a lot of it, but really hate the stamina system. I don't want to play stupid DDR while I'm fighting monsters. I shouldn't have to think about pressing R1 every single time I attack. People will say it's like Gears, but it's even stupid in Gears, though less critical because in Gears, you have health regen and cover. In Nioh, you mistime that R1 or don't press it at all or you reactively press something else like dodge or guard (which makes it reset), you could get your face smashed for a third of your health and drop to the floor, you get up with this stupidly long stun time, and get attacked again for another third of your health. That's a lot of punishment for not hitting R1 at the right moment. The idea of mistiming a button press on a basic gameplay element is going to make the player feel bad more often than not.

Two more problems I have, first is the health pills or whatever they are called. They should drop more frequently or have another way to get them other than Samurais and elite Yokais. On the first level, I had to keep farming this one samurai by the cliff edge towards the ship and go back to the shrine to reset him. I know some people complained about having to farm vials in Bloodborne, but this is really a chore to get health pills. They should make them available on revenants or something. Also, another health pill issue is eating them. It takes twice or more as long as using Blood Vials in Bloodborne. There was many cases where I put a ton of distance between me and the enemy before using my pills, yet they'll sometimes manage to get an attack in which completely nullified all of the health gain.

Third problem, some of the enemies just have waaaay too many attack patterns. Elite yokais in the third level have more moves than most Bloodborne bosses. I really don't want to sit around to see all of the attack patterns before making an attack myself. It really slows down the pace of the game having these enemies in there. It was also particularly frustrating on the first boss where the attack patterns combo between something dodgeable to something not dodgeable, forcing you to only rely on guarding as a reliable method of defense.

It's not all problems though. I do like the general combat. I love the skills and weapon systems. Guarding a bit too OP atm, but I guess I don't mind it. I prefer Bloodborne's offensive style with no shielding. I also like the settings and the human enemies.

• I believe you mean Onimusouls beta

• Been playing it to death as expected. I enjoy the new Dual Katana but I'm finding it difficult to maintain the skill and finesse that standard Katana or even the other weapons had during combat. Meaning when it was safe to poke an enemy and dodge back, since a lot of Dual Katana is a lot of really unsafe attack animations.

Windstorm is an outstanding skill for trash enemies though, moreso when you move onto twilight missions and are facing many things at once, though a spear would do just fine as well.

Still really hyped for the official release of this game and I standby my original prediction of this being my GOTY when it's released, I do NOT get this level of excitement and addiction from Dark Souls anymore. Demons Souls, maybe....Dark Souls 2, sure. But not Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 where armor is a fashion statement with weight attached.

And I'm loving the openminded nature the developers have for this game and being so direct about our feedback and actually LISTENING to it. It's almost like alpha players shaping an MMO.

@Whoaness There's a few things you can do there, there's Yokai/Human ITEM drop rate which you can get for your gear, and there's also a Kodama blessing which increases the drop rate of elixirs substantially.

I disagree about attack patterns being a bad thing though, that's something Dark Souls had always lacked, once you cleared a level....nothing could challenge you in that zone again unless you woke up with amnesia. As for the constant need to block....you're actually putting yourself at a disadvantage blocking due to the stamina loss, luckily weapon durability is no longer a thing or you'd be facing that as well.

Try wearing as light of an armor loadout as you possibly can, and get used to dodging with it. You'll find a lot of moves especially those from bosses are very easy to pass right through, almost like evasion I-frames in monster hunter.

• @ZyloWolfBane I thought dual katana was the way to go, but it just does no damage to the bosses. Of course you have the weapon switch mechanic, but axes are needed to kill the boss, it feels like.

Most fights don't give you the chance of attacking multiple times, so one attack from the axe and backing off seems like the best strategy. I do go into dual katana for the Ki Regen perk. That thing is OP.

• @Whoaness said in Nioh Beta Bois:

@ZyloWolfBane I thought dual katana was the way to go, but it just does no damage to the bosses. Of course you have the weapon switch mechanic, but axes are needed to kill the boss, it feels like.

Most fights don't give you the chance of attacking multiple times, so one attack from the axe and backing off seems like the best strategy. I do go into dual katana for the Ki Regen perk. That thing is OP.

The way I used to do bosses was Axes, mostly for being able to stagger bosses really easily. But Dual Swords isn't too bad.

My biggest issue was finding a set of them that didn't suck, I finally got one with wind damage, life steal and life regen on kill and was doing much much better with them afterwards, the other thing that helps is the skill that increases your damage on enemies with full HP, if you use something like windstorm as your opener EVERYTHING it deals to the enemy benefits from that initial burst of bonus damage, it's really nifty :)

Tears through trash and gives you a nice little chunk of health off a boss.

• I love you glorious bastards.

I was nostril deep in work when the alpha came out, and never got round to giving it a proper go, much to my chagrin.

Wasn't even aware of the Beta until I saw this thread. Download is in progress as I type. I'll report back on my findings - here's to you, bank holiday Monday.

• You can disperse Yokai realm with that R1 or throwing salt than returns your stamina recovery to normal. And you can learn different kinds of counters that need few tries to time them right. Some jutsus are good to learn and finding kodama and praying for better drops is good to do. You can also re-forge your weapon/armor at blacksmith but only outside of the stage.
    I sometimes lure stronger ones to the ledge and drop them followed by my drop attack. Sometimes hard to work but you can take out pretty strong enemies.

There are also other cheese tactics. In alpha the 2nd stage boss was easier which I could hit with my guardian spirit almost endlessly by spamming attack than some youkais who broke my super with one hit. I things get tough, just summon a visitor to help and let them handle the risky ones by drawing enemies attention to them. Like in Souls games, the risk is non-existent for them.

• @DMCMaster said in Nioh Beta Bois:

I believe you mean Onimusouls beta

No, I don't.

@ZyloWolfBane I've speced into the dual katana because they're so new, but I think I'll go back to spear for the tougher battles. High stance spear's normal combo has a great range on it for bashing bosses, and can even start to stun the level end bosses.

I'm curious, does anyone get the extra levels of each skill you get for pressing L1 and R1 atop of each scroll? The numbers seem to actually go down in rank 2, though...

• @Haru17 said in Nioh Beta Bois:

@DMCMaster said in Nioh Beta Bois:

I believe you mean Onimusouls beta

No, I don't.

@ZyloWolfBane I've speced into the dual katana because they're so new, but I think I'll go back to spear for the tougher battles. High stance spear's normal combo has a great range on it for bashing bosses, and can even start to stun the level end bosses.

I'm curious, does anyone get the extra levels of each skill you get for pressing L1 and R1 atop of each scroll? The numbers seem to actually go down in rank 2, though...

Yeah I went with spears as my main weapon in the alpha and loved it. Super safe for fighting trash mobs. Used an Axe as my secondary for bosses using my spirit infusion to help me stagger them.

But figured I'd test the dual katanas since it's new as well, I like them...but I don't think I like them enough to use them at launch aside from maybe a challenge run.

• I didn't get to play much yet because I've got a shitty deadline for work and I need to do overtime, but I'm pretty sad that I can't continue from where I left off in the alpha.
    I had beaten both bosses and gotten the Mark of the Conqueror but in the beta I can't see the new regions from the start nor can I do a Continue or Load from the main menu. :(

• @ZyloWolfBane If you wear all L / N / H armor it changes your armor class and ability to dodge. I've found the dual katanas much more effective with light armor (less stamina spent).

• @Haru17 said in Nioh Beta Bois:

@ZyloWolfBane If you wear all L / N / H armor it changes your armor class and ability to dodge. I've found the dual katanas much more effective with light armor (less stamina spent).

Yup, I think there's a stat to help with stamina loss on dodge as well.

• @ZyloWolfBane I feel like there are too many attacks that are undodgable, which is why I turtled with a guarding strat. Have you had success trying to play this game without guarding and using lighter armor?

@ZyloWolfBane I feel like there are too many attacks that are undodgable, which is why I turtled with a guarding strat. Have you had success trying to play this game without guarding and using lighter armor?

Yessir, stupid as it sounds, try playing the first level with no armor at all. None. And you'll see a huge difference on your dodging and how the heavier armor gimps your dodging.

Even the boss I'm stuck on, Tachibana Muneshige, ALL of his moves can be dodged through with light/no armor once you get the timing down.

• @ZyloWolfBane The first level boss does this 360 sweep attack that I tried to dodge through, but still got hit.

I kinda gave up playing, since it's a demo and I probably already played 15 hours of it, but I might go back and try a dodge only playthrough of the first level.

@ZyloWolfBane The first level boss does this 360 sweep attack that I tried to dodge through, but still got hit.

I kinda gave up playing, since it's a demo and I probably already played 15 hours of it, but I might go back and try a dodge only playthrough of the first level.

I find that one is better to dodge backwards for.

Usually that overhead swing is always followed by the 360 spin, never commit to an attack until after that 360 happens, run in attack, back out.

• @ZyloWolfBane @Whoaness Exactly that. You have to learn that ogre guy usually follows up with the half-circle spin. It's more like Monster Hunter in that respect. Anyway, I recommend spear for that fight. Anything will work, but reach is pretty key. You can stunlock 'im for a moment, but only a moment.

• Don't forget to donate your junk at the shrines. You'll earn lots of useful items like extra elixirs and arrows.

• I've played the shit out of it. Loving it. I was kind of down on the previous beta, or alpha, whatever it was, because I really hated the durability system. Without that, it's pretty great.

I'm going to have to try out some more weapons, because I fell in love with the spear and have been using that non-stop. I'm currently doing twilight stuff to get levels because the last boss is a fucking nightmare. Aggressive as hell and hits like a damn train. I got it on video when I tried to swipe his legs with entangle and he literally did a flip over my attack and killed me. Hilarious.

Also, elixirs drop pretty frequently once you find enough kodama to upgrade the drop chance to +15%

The only thing I wish is that it had more weapon variety. I get that since every weapon has 3 stances that changes a lot, but the skill trees still feel bare bones. Maybe there's a lot missing. Also I wish there were more different combos. Right now, for my spear, I have 3 actual combos. The kick in mid and low stance, the monkey jump in low stance, and the Ki Pulse knockback when you time the R1 in high stance. That's it.

And we only get 4 weapon classes. Katana, Dualwielding Katana, Spear, and Axe. Could have been nice with another polearm class, like a naginata or a nagamaki or something like that. There is one unused slot though, so who knows?

Also, pro tip: the Archer set has good paralyze protection. If you've gotten that far, you'll know why I mention this.