Favorite "What the fuck" moment in gaming *spoilers aplenty*

• @Haru17 I'm confused. Why are you quoting a nonsensical quote about Legend of Zelda when our discussion revolves around Inside? Also, how does your post indicate you're mean? I read no mean spirits on your part. Thanks for the clarification, if you so choose to respond.

• @SabotageTheTruth

I played MGS2 well past it's release date (post MGS3 even) and even so, the proper WTF moments felt good to me. The whole theme was meant to mess with you. Then the unintentional WTF moments like Fat Man had me rolling. Say what you will about MGS2, it was memorable. Just happens to be my least fave MGS is all.

• @Brannox interesting....I wasn't too aware of the plot as I was playing. I just took it all in as an audio/visual ride. I never stopped to think about the context of each thing that happens in the game.

I didn't like that part cause I thought it was profound. I liked it because i thought it was highly imaginative. Something that caught me completely by surprise and would never come up with. I thought WTF and laughed at what I was witnessing.

@GoTaco so before playing it did you know you would be playing as Raiden for a majority of the game?

• @Brannox It's mean because I'm quoting you, but quoting nonsense, therefore asserting that what you were saying was nonsense. You're trying to apply some left brain shit to a decidedly emotional, abstract experience. It's like people who go into Last of Us and complain the story isn't happy enough: You're looking for something that isn't there.

You said you're not trying to apply sense to Inside, but your "consistency" is the same as "sense." I deeply believe that Inside is one of those "experience" games, like Journey. It's excellent, but the logic might not hold up upon closer inspection (like how the left side of the complex has many miles more walls than the right, despite them being portrayed as circular in the backgrounds).

• A less obvious choice for me is Star Ocean: Till the End of Time.

Once you've finally gotten off the planet you were stuck on for hours upon hours, a strange plot about "angels" hell bent on destroying the universe opens up. JRPGS are known for challenging gods but you find a portal to the heaven realm and... it's not heaven. You were stuck inside of a fictionalized MMO universe. This storyline is meant to be canon meaning ALL of the events in every single Star Ocean are taking place in a large video game. I can't really think of any series that has flipped the script in such a crazy direction after so much history, but I love the hell out of it.

• @Haru17 First, I'm sorry you feel compelled to degrade my view as nonsense. I don't believe yours is.

Second, with your explanation in mind, why go out of your way to be mean, regardless of whether or not you care. You could simply say you disagree. No harm, no foul, but instead it is taking my view of the game and claiming it doesn't have merit by saying its nonsense.

Third, any interpretation, regardless of whether or not a given person agrees with it, is not shit. That is a disrespectful view of another person's outlook. Again, it's a little saddening you wish name call it as such, but to each their own.

Fourth, the only thing I was looking for from Inside was an enjoyable experience. I "bought in" as it were at all the high remarks the game received. I took a chance and while I enjoyed it, the game, in my view, was not as spectacular as others believe. But that is my view. Clearly, you like it more than I do, and that's great! But I must ask that you please not say that my outlook of the game isn't credible. There are very few exceptions of heading into a game and having high expectations, such as sequels like Uncharted or Gears of War.

Fifth, there are different forms of sense. Consistency is a model and so is logic. The most ridiculous game can be make no sense, but be wonderful if its stays to what it is not be all over the place. A well-thought out story can be trash if gameplay is spotty. So: If Inside was a kid for 6 hours, that would've been fine. It wasn't, and for me, that was a turn off because it wasn't a consistent experience. I have issues when games do that. Example: Playing a platformer then be forced into a clunky flying mission or an on-rails segment. While those are mechanics and not story arcs, consistency is still the same standard being used.

Sixth, I'm happy to hear that you feel Inside is an experience game. I have not played Journey, therefore I cannot comment on the quality of that game as it pertains to me, but that is also a pre-conceived notion, much like your interpretation of my view of the game.

Finally, while it does concern me that you have taken it upon yourself to not only disagree with my experience, but take it a further step by ridiculing it, I would like to ask you that you do not do it to others. Having a conversation about a person's opinions should always come with the 50/50 outcome of either agreeing or disagreeing and if the latter was to occur, as it has here, then there should be a respect that it is their opinion.

The one thing that does bother me though, is this is the EASY ALLIES community, one where if there is disagreement, it is done so respectfully, not by going out of one's way to troll. Thank you very much for the discussion and have a pleasant day/evening, dependent upon when you read this response.

• @Brannox said in Favorite "What the fuck" moment in gaming *spoilers aplenty*:

Third, any interpretation, regardless of whether or not a given person agrees with it, is not shit. That is a disrespectful view of another person's outlook. Again, it's a little saddening you wish name call it as such, but to each their own.

That was not an name-calling attack on you, but rather a use for emphasis, as you can tell from my syntax. In any case, you shouldn't take my denouncement that hard. We disagree pretty fundamentally about games, I think I can say. Therefore my viewpoint might not be that useful to you.

i.e.: this does not compute to me:

A well-thought out story can be trash if gameplay is spotty.

Still, I think Inside reads best if you enjoy black comedy. Pushing the thralls in the cage off of the cliff (seeing them reach for the ledge as they topple over), maiming the "pig," dragging the corpse, etc all display a very distinct, grim voice. I don't think it works as well if you empathize with the pig, however.

• @Haru17 To your point on disagreement, I can only reaffirm on Inside. I do not know your interests, therefore I cannot say whether or not we share similar tastes. Just not on Inside specifically.

• @GoTaco

Then why did Kratos spend the whole game trying to get the box when he is clearly already killing gods?

• up to this day my biggest wtf is still the first drakengard. you reach the last city and suddenly

giant babies with big teeths start flying around and they eat one of your party members

Please mark your spoilers by pressing that eye with a dash across it before entering said spoiler. ChaosBahamut

• I am Setsuna really caught me of guard with this one.

The thing with the save spots being traces of time travel to the past/ripples in time played together so well with the time theme in this game. Also, who thinks to be suspicious about save spots? No one! I just sat on my couch having my mind blown for a few minutes before proceeding to the last bit.

• The Walking Dead game series has offered many WTF moments, but one of the earliest came in S1E2, and it dug really deep into my mind and memory, as it truly was a "what the f*ck just happened" moment.

Larry suffers a heart attack, and Kenny smashes his head in with a salt lick to keep him from turning. I did not see that coming. Quite a shocker!

• Wacky answer for me would be 2004, playing Halo at a friend's birthday party and having never witnessed a twin stick shooting game before in my entire life. Blew my mind.

Spec Ops: The Line

Don't know if I can consider it a proper WTF moment since I was just grinning saying "oh god yes", but the flashback reveal that you've made the entire mission up so you can force yourself forward and justify all your past actions as atrocities keep piling up. That's one of the most well written second halves of a game I've ever seen.

Oh and oh god how could I forget Virtue's Last Reward

The first time an event triggered the flowchart to expand. Up until that point I'd considered it almost cheating and spoilerish to go and look at the flowchart because I thought it was just leading to every good/bad end and just a convenience mechanic of the game. HOLY SHIT I WAS SO WRONG.

• It's the moment that happens in my favorite game of all time Tales of the Abyss.

Tales of the Abyss is a jrpg. In it you play as a prince who cant remember anything before a certain age. You are lead to believe that the reason he can't remember anything is because at that age he was kidnapped by the other kingdom yours happens to be at war with and they did something to you that made you forget everything that happened to you.

Through out the game you meet someone who looks exactly like you. This person is your enemy. You of course make the assumption that this character is a clone of you that was made when the other kingdom kidnapped you. But at a pivotal point in the games plot you discover not only is that person not a clone, YOU ARE THE CLONE! You have been your entire life which is why you can't remember anything past a certain age because you DIDN'T EXIST past a certain age. And that person who looks exactly like you IS THE ORIGINAL PRINCE! The actual prince that was kidnapped all those years ago and never returned to his kingdom, instead replaced by you.

A lot of jrpgs use the amnesia boy trope but this is the first time I've seen it done in this way and I didn't see the twist coming at all.

• The true ending of Persona 4 is the most JRPG thing to ever happen to me.

A primordial goddess is disguised as a gas station attendant in a small town in Japan. Sure. Why not.

• Honestly, the entirety of El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron was a 'What the Fuck' moment :laughing:

• More of an atmospheric what the fuck moment for me rather than something instant, but it goes to Max Payne.

The nightmare sequences in Max Payne, especially when you're in a black void following trails of blood that lead to your dead baby. Meanwhile, blood falls around you slowly like snow and you hear the screams of your dead baby and wife. Considering I was about 12 at the time, that was a huge "What the fuck?!" moment in the best possible way and one I'll never forget.

• @Brannox

Mass Effect

The choice on Virmire. I legitamately sat looking at the screen for 10 minutes. (I picked to save Ashley the first time)

I gotta admit, I am totally judging you for that choice.
    Which is why I love that game. It's a great moment in that game....
    I'd also say

Being able to choose to kill Wrex. That I could do that, blew my mind. Of course I didn't.

• @Inustar By all means judge! But may I ask in favor of or in condemnation? Just would like to know where I stand ;-)

At the time it happened (Wrex) I did so well that never happened. I only found out after the fact that was an option. Mind was also subsequently blown when I did.

Mass Effect is so freaking awesome.

• @Brannox TOTAL condemnation. I never liked Ashley.
    I have played those games like 5 or 6 times, and never changed my mind on that particular decision.