What's Your Opinion?: Leaks

• The internet is great for a lot of things, but keeping secrets isn't one of them.

When I was younger and I used to buy the Official Playstation 2 magazine, rumours was a half-a-page feature, but these days websites put as much of a focus on them as they would a review or interview.

I personally don't like spoilers for things I'm looking forward to, I like to go in blind, and I hate leaks with a fevered passion. I understand what benefit a websites gets from such news, but I can't understand why the informants feel the need to spill their guts. I've never heard of money changing hands.

What is your opinions?

• I hate leaks with a passion and wish nothing but pain and suffering to leakers. Not only do leaks deprive creators the ability to reveal a title in a fashion of their choosing, such as at a conference, fan convention, theatrical trailer, etc., but it also deprives us consumers of the hype created by an official, polished release.

Also, I come from the Magic: the Gathering community where leaks directly the hurt community. Wizards (makes of Magic) gives out cards from new sets as exclusive reveals to websites and MtG luminaries to write articles/create videos/talk about on podcasts or otherwise drum up excitement for. This has the effect of all of the above in addition to directly taking away traffic these exclusives would have brought.

• @Dirokia I think the pain and suffering is a bit too much, but other than that I completely agree.

• I am most likely in the minority but I very rarely dislike leaks or spoilers. I actually spent the whole night before Star Wars Force Awakens came out reading dozens of websites reporting plot points and storyline. The next day, it was a kind of meta-game for me to figure out which leaks were correct and which weren't :) It makes me feel like a VIP, which knows more than he should ;) I did the same during the Xbox One conference on Monday. I followed the

and it came out almost perfect!

However, I completely respect everybody else's desire to hear/watch/play something without all the leaked info. Likewise, I understand the point of view @Dirokia presented. It definitely can hurt the creators and consumers of a proper polished release. This was the case for say Resident Evil at the Sony event. There were some rumors but the way they presented it was absolutely mindblowing because nobody really thought it was coming.

However, preventing leaks is inevitable in the age of internet and Reddit. There is even a financial incentive for media to publish it. It probably just comes down to clicks. Many websites rely solely on pageviews to survive, so publishing something people will probably gravitate towards is a no brainer. If people read that type of content, they continue publishing it.

What does infuriate me is when there is a supposed leak/rumor in a link and when you read it, there is no new info. It is just a catchy headline with no real content ... just boring an implausible speculation with no new info. They should at least say that they have an anonymous source to keep us on the edge our seats, right? ;)

• @marcel BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! haha just joking.

But I can't imagine looking for spoilers the night before Force Awakens, I didn't use a web browser for almost 3 week trying to avoid such things lol.

• I don't like leaks at all, they just ruin what could be some amazing surprises in games/movies/events/press conferences/whatever. But what I dislike even more is how leaks just spread like plague or something, as if everyone has to learn this before the actual announcement. It feels so wrong. I would prefer that if something leaks, it should stay somewhat contained, so that those, who want to know, can be excited over it, but those of us that don't like them, can be surprised when these things actually happen or gets announced/released/revealed.

• Do you have any idea how fucking insane that God of War reveal would have been if no one had a clue God of War was coming?

I mean, it was already hype as hell, but lets be honest, it would have been marginally more intense.

I think leaks take the moment away from the developers to reveal their game the way they want. Journalists steal the spotlight in pursuit of page views and fame. Its pure greed and it disgusts me. Its the evolution of the kid who wants to eat his dessert before his dinner.

• @Stormcrownn or the Final Fantasy 7 remake from last year.

• They all generally suck but some are worse than others. For example, if there's a leak that a game is in development, I can deal with it. But leaks of endings/story spoilers...
    I remember some jerk spoiling the ending to ME3 and I was I like... ಠ_ಠ Other recent leaks like this I can think of are the the endings to Heart of the Swarm and a key plot point in Fallout 4.

But this is the Internet and by its very nature, it is designed to spread information, good or bad.

TL;DR: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

• @Stormcrownn said in What's Your Opinion?: Leaks:

Do you have any idea how fucking insane that God of War reveal would have been if no one had a clue God of War was coming?

I mean, it was already hype as hell, but lets be honest, it would have been marginally more intense.

I think leaks take the moment away from the developers to reveal their game the way they want. Journalists steal the spotlight in pursuit of page views and fame. Its pure greed and it disgusts me. Its the evolution of the kid who wants to eat his dessert before his dinner.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. As both a dev and an avid gamer. A lot of journalism has shifted focus from covering issues like crunch or gender representation and become all about pedantic scoops that parasitically feed off of hard work in surprising gamers with the content they love. It's very frustrarting

• Always nice to have a good leak. It fuels the hype machine.

• @Mechanoid The thing I hate most when it vines to plot spoilers is when sites don't put a warning in their headers and just put the spoiler in its place.

• @Hoken a carefully constructed leak, sure. Better to spread rumors than print reveals and such

• @sblomkamp A good leak would be "God of War is coming..." but the reveal about the viking details totally lessened the impact of the Sony Conference reveal.

• I don't like leaks at all. I feel sometimes I have to really control where I go on the internet to not be spoiled. For example, Game of Thrones... People just love to tweet out spoilers constantly.

But leaks in the video games industry just steals the thunder from the developer. I feel it's unfair for a group of people who have worked hard on a game to have some guy on a website leak what they are working on, etc. It just makes me disappointed in people.

• I don't really like leaks - imagine how much more exciting the god of war reveal would have been if we weren't expecting it to be at the show let alone based in Norse mythology.
    I guess I'm not as bothered by some leaks over others, the only ones I can say I really hate are ones that involve spoilers.

• I have been saying this for some time now but I'll say it again. Due to the increase in online gaming news websites and internet leaks in general my interest in a video game from the time it gets announced to when it release diminished by 90-99%. When I put it in I get instantly bored.

Around 10 years back I would just randomly pick up a game from my local game store and not know anything about it but end up loving it to pieces!

• I'm not a fan of leaks in general. It seems more about websites one-upping one another and getting attention, rather than servicing the fans.

The discussion on a recent Easy Allies podcast about the God Of War leaks summed up much of my feelings on this - that the reveal is so much more enticing, exciting, than seeing something early. The Dark Souls 3 leaks for The Know (?!) spoiled any WTF moment that would have hit in last year's E3.

Maybe it's that level of the obvious, rather than pure surprise.

That said, I recall the Project Beast leak, of the nature of the leak - seemingly a private stream, seconds of footage, smished into gifs, then put back into video - and fandom going wild over it. I mean, it looked like the art team from Dark Souls, was it a sequel to Demon's Souls - just what is it?! Look at it!!

So .. ! Hmm.

But in general, no. xD

• Just as a general repeat of what's posted here, I'm not a fan of leaks, but I REALLY don't like them within a week from E3. It takes away from what makes E3 so special. Agreed, God of War has me BEYOND excited, but let's face it: The reveals of Resident Evil 7, Crash Bandicoot Remasters (NOT SKYLANDERS) and Death Stranding was about the best things from Sony's conference, and I'm probably only going to play the Crash games (again). Even though I'm more interested about the aforementioned GoW, Horizon: Zero Dawn and Days Gone, those other announcements (and our Allies' reaction to them) is what makes this week the greatest every year.

• Global Moderator

The only thing I'll say is it depends on the leak.

Finding out things like the state of development at companies, changes made to games after etc. That kind of stuff I'm totally cool with and even encourage.

But when your leak is simply "FFXV is out Sept 30th" before the event or what has been mentioned with God of War, I hate that so much. It's the same as playing a game for me. I don't want to know where everything is. I want to find things and be surprised.