What's Your Opinion?: Leaks

• @Mechanoid The thing I hate most when it vines to plot spoilers is when sites don't put a warning in their headers and just put the spoiler in its place.

• @Hoken a carefully constructed leak, sure. Better to spread rumors than print reveals and such

• @sblomkamp A good leak would be "God of War is coming..." but the reveal about the viking details totally lessened the impact of the Sony Conference reveal.

• I don't like leaks at all. I feel sometimes I have to really control where I go on the internet to not be spoiled. For example, Game of Thrones... People just love to tweet out spoilers constantly.

But leaks in the video games industry just steals the thunder from the developer. I feel it's unfair for a group of people who have worked hard on a game to have some guy on a website leak what they are working on, etc. It just makes me disappointed in people.

• I don't really like leaks - imagine how much more exciting the god of war reveal would have been if we weren't expecting it to be at the show let alone based in Norse mythology.
    I guess I'm not as bothered by some leaks over others, the only ones I can say I really hate are ones that involve spoilers.

• I have been saying this for some time now but I'll say it again. Due to the increase in online gaming news websites and internet leaks in general my interest in a video game from the time it gets announced to when it release diminished by 90-99%. When I put it in I get instantly bored.

Around 10 years back I would just randomly pick up a game from my local game store and not know anything about it but end up loving it to pieces!

• I'm not a fan of leaks in general. It seems more about websites one-upping one another and getting attention, rather than servicing the fans.

The discussion on a recent Easy Allies podcast about the God Of War leaks summed up much of my feelings on this - that the reveal is so much more enticing, exciting, than seeing something early. The Dark Souls 3 leaks for The Know (?!) spoiled any WTF moment that would have hit in last year's E3.

Maybe it's that level of the obvious, rather than pure surprise.

That said, I recall the Project Beast leak, of the nature of the leak - seemingly a private stream, seconds of footage, smished into gifs, then put back into video - and fandom going wild over it. I mean, it looked like the art team from Dark Souls, was it a sequel to Demon's Souls - just what is it?! Look at it!!

So .. ! Hmm.

But in general, no. xD

• Just as a general repeat of what's posted here, I'm not a fan of leaks, but I REALLY don't like them within a week from E3. It takes away from what makes E3 so special. Agreed, God of War has me BEYOND excited, but let's face it: The reveals of Resident Evil 7, Crash Bandicoot Remasters (NOT SKYLANDERS) and Death Stranding was about the best things from Sony's conference, and I'm probably only going to play the Crash games (again). Even though I'm more interested about the aforementioned GoW, Horizon: Zero Dawn and Days Gone, those other announcements (and our Allies' reaction to them) is what makes this week the greatest every year.

• The only thing I'll say is it depends on the leak.

Finding out things like the state of development at companies, changes made to games after etc. That kind of stuff I'm totally cool with and even encourage.

But when your leak is simply "FFXV is out Sept 30th" before the event or what has been mentioned with God of War, I hate that so much. It's the same as playing a game for me. I don't want to know where everything is. I want to find things and be surprised.

• Not a big fan of leaks, though I admit I do read some of them if I see something in neogaf for example. But that doesn't make it right.

I think that publishers should be able to do their own announcements when and how they wish. Reporting leaked info on game setting and developement isn't really journalism.

• It's really the fault of the publisher for having administration mistakes, like EA Saudi Arabia leaking every youtube video before the conference. They need to learn how to control their own company.

Microsoft leaked everything via practice runs or something, but when you think about it, Sony had to have practiced a ton with that orchestra, and they kept everything under wraps. How can Sony keep things under wraps when Microsoft, Ubisoft, EA couldn't?

On the personal level, I like the surprises from Sony, but a "surprise" like Project Scorpio would be more of a disappointment with the way Microsoft showed it.

• Banned

I hate leaks, I'm always thankful that Sony has been able to keep their huge games and surprises a secret recently. It just feels so much better to watch Huber and everyone react to a game they don't expect. Even though they predicted everything right just about before the conference (Besides Kojima's game, but Brandon did mention the DS on Kojima's shirt, which was fine)

I mean, I'll read leaks sometimes because I'm impatient and am mostly ok with them, but I'm always happiest when something is a complete surprise in the end.

• Leaks pretty much ruined every single announcement this year with the exception of Sony's conference, who somehow managed to keep things under wraps.

If it hadn't be for Sony, this would have been a shitty E3 indeed from the viewpoint of someone watching the conferences.

• For a small period of time, when I was in university, I loved leaks. But now, I hate them, I hate them with a passion. Especially before big press events like E3, PAX, and TGS. It takes all the joy out of it. I would have been heartbroken if Last Guardian/Shenmue 3/FF7 was leaked to me before the conference last year. I would be devastated if BotW trailer was leaked before Tuesday. There is so much work put into games and I found it criminal that companies and their staff will have their moment robbed from them because of a dumb leak.

• It's pretty unfortunate but so long as the Internet is widely used, leaks will continue to be easily circumvented.

Although I dislike leaks, I do however understand why people actively seek them. Gamers are incredibly passionate people and some want to know everything they can about their favorite games (or games they wish were released) and will do anything they can to find out any juicy secrets they can get their paws on. Because of this demand, media outlets will circumvent any stories they come across to be the first ones to reap the ratings/views. It's inevitable.

• I don't mind them, although I wouldn't mind going on a media black-out for some games. I know that's just virtually impossible with all the new info and leaks coming on a daily basis. E3 leaks are never fun though; but that's why I tend to not visit the interwebz that often during the week before E3. That way, most of the new announcements are actually new and not just another confirmation.

• With leaks, I tend to feel sorry to those who spend so long setting up announcements to be something that's special (like FF7 Remake etc.) but only to see them get ruined by leakers.

It affects everyone's hype of a game and takes away those beautiful moments...

alt text

• If they're leaking it just to get clicks and attention then it's a scummy thing to do

If it's something people potentially need to be warned about like say, Xbox One DRM? I think that's good

• I try to ignore them as much as possible when it comes to software. I don't do full media black outs for games and watch trailers for games I'm really hyped about ... but no leaks.

When it comes to hardware though I'm all in. Leaks about the PS4 upgrades? GIVE IT TO ME! Project Scorpio or VR? CAN'T GET ENOUGH!!!

• Personally, I hate them. E3 in general could've been a lot more hyped had people stopped leaking things and companies kept their mouths shut till the day of E3.

Moreso when leaks are usually full of very spoilerific content.