What critically panned game do you actually really enjoy playing?

• It doesn't need to be a game that was purely hated, but it should at best seen as mediocre by either critics or generally lackluster by the public.

Mine would be Battle Arena Toshinden 4 for the original Playstation, a fighting game and series that unfortunately seems to be have been lost in time. As far as I know the best it got were mediocre reviews, but mostly bad ones from critics. However, I loved this. I also really like the third entry, I love this even more, despite the cringeworthy graphics, laughable story, the slow combat and the numerous balance issues. But the game is just super fun to me, and one of the only fighting games I actually got fairly good at (in my humble opinion). It had a lot of really nice mini-games, interesting fighters and really colorful and easy-to-execute moves.

I'm curious what the allies 'guilty pleasures' are :grin:

• I think it was called K-1 Grand Prix for Psone and Contender for PsOne. They are kickboxing and boxing games that are mediocre at best with those classic blocky polygons from the PsOne era. I'm a big K-1 fan (it was the biggest kickboxing org. in the late 90s - 2000s) and I just have a blast playing the game. K-1 also did some cool stuff for its time, you had the body meters where you could attack one area to weaken it. It was kinda slow paced as well but ive played it so much over the last like 10 years.

Contender is really not that great of a boxing game, but it had a fun little career mode that you could play through with a bunch of different boxers. Was also slow and ugly by today's standards but I just really dug it.

Obviously I just really dig combat sports and thus combat sport video games, even crappy ones like K-1 and Contender. I would say tho, that one of the most legit/fun boxing games I've ever played to this day is Hajime No Ippo Victorious Road. Might talk about that one later.

• I feel like I said this in another thread, but here it is again:

alt text

This game is so much more fun than Gears. Combat is more engaging with the combo points, the melee is more awesome with wrestling moves and dumb 50 cent taunts, the banter with the Co-op partner is funny, and 50 Cent's music sets the tone well even if you hate rap. It's a hilarious journey that isn't polished, but is a heck a lot more fun from moment to moment.

• Omega Quintet on PS4 has a meta of 58% but I loved it, as I do most stuff by Compile Heart.

Another one that is in that score area is True Crime: New York City which I enjoyed a lot on Xbox.

Not to forget the many "cheap" japanese games by Tamsoft and Sandlot, the Simple 2000 series of games which were the origins of Onechanbara and Earth Defense Force

Would have to go through my whole collection, there are tons of games I liked that I didn't even know were hated before I discovered online forums.

• I enjoyed playing The Getaway so much. That game was slammed for being a bad GTA clone, but it had its own shooting mechanics that where awesome. I would love to go back and play its sequel...never got to it.

• @edsortiz I'm a pretty big fan of The Getaway too, and the sequel wasn't as good.

• Beyond the Beyond. Considered by many to be one of the worst JRPGs ever. I still love it, probably mostly nostalgia.

• @Musou-Tensei said in What critically panned game do you actually really enjoy playing?:

Omega Quintet on PS4 has a meta of 58% but I loved it, as I do most stuff by Compile Heart.

Another one that is in that score area is True Crime: New York City which I enjoyed a lot on Xbox.

Not to forget the many "cheap" japanese games by Tamsoft and Sandlot, the Simple 2000 series of games which were the origins of Onechanbara and Earth Defense Force

Would have to go through my whole collection, there are tons of games I liked that I didn't even know were hated before I discovered online forums.

I can't believe True Crime New York City was so poorly received!!!

Me and my friends loved that game.

• @bard91

alt text

58 on Metacritic. The entire series is vastly underrated as far as I'm concerned.

• They weren't panned, exactly, but Wii Ski and Wii Ski and Snowboard are fun skiing games. The mountains all have a variety of courses and plenty of secret routes and explorable ares / collectables. Plus the character creator is quite varied if you don't use an ugly Mii face.

People also give so much shit—so much shit—to Beyond: 2 Souls. It has a better plot than most modern games. I think the problem is everyone's tiny pea brains couldn't handle remembering what happened in each time frame, where I had no problem with it. Also, you get to be Carrie / Harry Potter in that game and fuck up a bunch of teenagers' day. It's choice.

• Banned

Much like Kyle Bosman, I too enjoy Sonic Unleashed.

• Global Moderator

Mine is a bit of an unfair pick as it is more so divisive than panned. It absolutely has it's critics anyway and that is Deadly Premonition.

With that, I hope you're whistling right now.

• @tokeeffe9 No, but I definitely want some coffee now.

• To be honest, I enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever a decent bit. (around 7.5/10 for me)

Also, Alpha Protocol. (kinda like Mass Effect, but with less black and white and a lot more grey; so really more like a third person shooter version of Deus Ex) I will recommend that game until the day I die.

• Brink!

Wow, that game is despised. I remember when it first came out, my roommate bought it and stopped playing it the first day. I hopped online, played with a few friends (who left off after a round or two, never to return) and thought, hey, I had a good time. I woke up the next day and I needed Brink in my life. It was just a solid two weeks of enjoying every last drop of that forsaken team-based shooter, slowly gaining new abilities, and mastering classes. I came home from work one day and my roommate had traded it in.

I miss you Brink, even if the rest of the world hated you.

• Kirby Air Ride. I know a lot of people love this game, myself included, though at the time of release it was pretty panned by critics. I played the crap out of that game and I'd love to do it again. Gotcha force, Custom Robo, Sonic Heroes, Kirby 64, was star wars pod racer panned? I don't know. Oh yeah, and Vexx. Too much nostalgia to convince me otherwise ^ ^

• @ChaosBahamut said in What critically panned game do you actually really enjoy playing?:

Also, Alpha Protocol. (kinda like Mass Effect, but with less black and white and a lot more grey; so really more like a third person shooter version of Deus Ex) I will recommend that game until the day I die.

Heck yes!! I love Alpha Protocol too! Nice to see some other fans out there : 3

• At first I thought this topic was about critically loved games we love. Anyways, when you say guilty pleasure the first thing that comes to mind is Saint's Row, but apparently those games are critically praised. After that I looked up other games I expected to be rated lower than they were until I finally came to one with a bad rating, I Am Bread. This game is classic dumb fun, but I understand the low ratings since it was spare on content at launch, controls were a bit wonky (slightly intentionally, slightly unintentionally), and it was just lacking polish. Since the game first came out it's gotten a ton of free updates with new modes, crossovers, the works. It probably still falls under the category of dumb stream game, but I think it's a fun game worth the pricetag if you're into really silly platforming.

That said, that's not the game I really want to talk about. There's a game from my childhood that's always been unfairly disrespected, a game that had huge shoes to fill after it's 10/10 predecessor, a game people have spat on for being innovative, something valued over all else today. Yes, this game is a bit weird, but I implore you to give it a chance, embrace the oddity, and just let this game and all it has to offer wash over you before you judge it. I will forever stand by this game, because not only is it a ten on the jolly scale, but mastering this game is heaps more deep and challenging than anyone ever gives it credit for. Let me tell you a story. Yoshi's Story
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XasLuRjERk
    After Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, this was the next Yoshi focused game. This game doesn't have you babysitting a crying baby Mario though. This isn't Mario's Story. As you see this is a game based on a popup storybook aesthetic.

The biggest complaint I hear about this game is that it's too short. You see, each level you choose and play represents a chapter in the overall story the game tells, and through collecting hearts while you play, the game gives you more options for what level you'd like to pick for your next chapter with later unlocked levels generally being more challenging ones. Every playthrough tells a story, seriously. The game doesn't take terribly long to reach the credits of, but you have to play it at least four times to see every level. Beating a level unlocks it in Time Trials mode, so you can play your favorite levels any time.

The other major complaint I see about this game is that people can't wrap their head around how levels work. You see, in just about every side scrolling platforming game that you've ever played levels mean an obstacle course you traverse to get from Point A to Point B, a goal. Sometimes games have shortcuts and alternate paths, but Yoshi's Story has no goal. Yoshi's story is closer to Metroid or Castlevania, except instead of one giant world you're trying to progress through, it's broken into themed levels and there's nothing you have to acquire to progress. It's pure exploration, but what are you exploring for? FRUIT! Now this is where you play how you wanna play. Your first time playing this game, you'll probably just eat every fruit in sight except chili peppers as eating enough fruit, which is a bar shown around your screen, is the way to progress to the next chapter. When you start a chapter, you pick a color Yoshi you want to play as. The color Yoshi you pick is tied to that Yoshi's favorite fruit, such as Yellow Yoshi liking bananas. Eating these gives you more points and health than just any fruit. However, each time you begin a level there's a wheel that spins indicating your lucky fruit for that level. Eating these gives you even more points and health than even your favorite fruit. HOWEVER, every Yoshi loves melons. As you play you'll realize melons are the hardest fruit to come by, often hidden in out of the way areas, behind puzzles, given as rewards for skill challenges, etc. To maximize your score in a level, you would have to eat nothing but melons, but there's only just enough melons in every level to progress this way. That means every time an opportunity to get melons arises, you have to ace it to get as many melons as possible. Playing this way for maximum score radically shifts Yoshi's Story from a fairly easy game to an incredibly challenging one, and that's before you account for Time Trials mode where you're racing a clock while trying to maximize your score. So no, I don't think the game is too easy. I think it's accessible for everyone while maintaining an underlying level of challenge for more experienced players to dig into.

Beyond that, there's also a boss for each chapter hidden behind one of the specific levels of that chapter and there's two hidden Yoshi you can unlock. Some online guides mention a third hidden Yoshi you can unlock, but Damiani already did an episode of Pop Fiction on it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiSAqMRErOc
    It's also worth mentioning that the final boss gets harder depending which level in the last Chapter you pick, with the later ones leading to harder versions of the final boss. So there, the challenge is present if you seek it. But why do I love this game? Well, this game simply does something Yoshi games since has failed to accomplish. It's unique. There's interesting crazy enemies that just keep coming at you, the locations likewise stay surprising until the end, the game often throws different kinds of challenges at you, and the music is always interesting. It's a full fledged storybook adventure.

I don't want to knock Yoshi's Island DS and Wooly World too badly, because I do feel like those games tried. Yoshi's Island DS just kinda kills the chill vibes of these games by being a little too difficult, especially near the end. It's like Yoshi's Island for pros basically. My main gripe with Wooly World would be reused assets to a fault, reusing bosses multiple times and palette swapping unlockable Yoshi designs. Also, that game isn't sure if it wants to be a single player or multiplayer game, seemingly being designed entirely around the Amiibo functionality instead. Both games also reuse enemies from past games instead of creating new ones, except for afew extremely rare cases in Wooly World. Neither are nearly as insulting to the series lineage as Yoshi's New Island, the game that aspires to be nothing but the most cookie cutter sequel possible from music to level design, through and through. But I mention these other games in the series, because to this day some of these games are treated as better than Yoshi Story, scored higher, and I can't disagree more. This post is me begging you, if you love the original Yoshi's Island game give Yoshi Story an honest chance. Yes it's a weird game, but weird doesn't have to mean bad. It's got the heart from the original that the series seems to have lost touch with over the years.

• Global Moderator

Not a specific game, but I do have something for Browser games. I have played Ogame for like 2 years as well as some other ones on the side! I dunno why, but I just find it fun to build bases and upgrade units etc, perhaps its the RTS player in me.

• Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
    I got around 300 hours in this game. I regret nothing.