What critically panned game do you actually really enjoy playing?

• To be honest, I enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever a decent bit. (around 7.5/10 for me)

Also, Alpha Protocol. (kinda like Mass Effect, but with less black and white and a lot more grey; so really more like a third person shooter version of Deus Ex) I will recommend that game until the day I die.

• Brink!

Wow, that game is despised. I remember when it first came out, my roommate bought it and stopped playing it the first day. I hopped online, played with a few friends (who left off after a round or two, never to return) and thought, hey, I had a good time. I woke up the next day and I needed Brink in my life. It was just a solid two weeks of enjoying every last drop of that forsaken team-based shooter, slowly gaining new abilities, and mastering classes. I came home from work one day and my roommate had traded it in.

I miss you Brink, even if the rest of the world hated you.

• Kirby Air Ride. I know a lot of people love this game, myself included, though at the time of release it was pretty panned by critics. I played the crap out of that game and I'd love to do it again. Gotcha force, Custom Robo, Sonic Heroes, Kirby 64, was star wars pod racer panned? I don't know. Oh yeah, and Vexx. Too much nostalgia to convince me otherwise ^ ^

• @ChaosBahamut said in What critically panned game do you actually really enjoy playing?:

Also, Alpha Protocol. (kinda like Mass Effect, but with less black and white and a lot more grey; so really more like a third person shooter version of Deus Ex) I will recommend that game until the day I die.

Heck yes!! I love Alpha Protocol too! Nice to see some other fans out there : 3

• At first I thought this topic was about critically loved games we love. Anyways, when you say guilty pleasure the first thing that comes to mind is Saint's Row, but apparently those games are critically praised. After that I looked up other games I expected to be rated lower than they were until I finally came to one with a bad rating, I Am Bread. This game is classic dumb fun, but I understand the low ratings since it was spare on content at launch, controls were a bit wonky (slightly intentionally, slightly unintentionally), and it was just lacking polish. Since the game first came out it's gotten a ton of free updates with new modes, crossovers, the works. It probably still falls under the category of dumb stream game, but I think it's a fun game worth the pricetag if you're into really silly platforming.

That said, that's not the game I really want to talk about. There's a game from my childhood that's always been unfairly disrespected, a game that had huge shoes to fill after it's 10/10 predecessor, a game people have spat on for being innovative, something valued over all else today. Yes, this game is a bit weird, but I implore you to give it a chance, embrace the oddity, and just let this game and all it has to offer wash over you before you judge it. I will forever stand by this game, because not only is it a ten on the jolly scale, but mastering this game is heaps more deep and challenging than anyone ever gives it credit for. Let me tell you a story. Yoshi's Story
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XasLuRjERk
    After Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, this was the next Yoshi focused game. This game doesn't have you babysitting a crying baby Mario though. This isn't Mario's Story. As you see this is a game based on a popup storybook aesthetic.

The biggest complaint I hear about this game is that it's too short. You see, each level you choose and play represents a chapter in the overall story the game tells, and through collecting hearts while you play, the game gives you more options for what level you'd like to pick for your next chapter with later unlocked levels generally being more challenging ones. Every playthrough tells a story, seriously. The game doesn't take terribly long to reach the credits of, but you have to play it at least four times to see every level. Beating a level unlocks it in Time Trials mode, so you can play your favorite levels any time.

The other major complaint I see about this game is that people can't wrap their head around how levels work. You see, in just about every side scrolling platforming game that you've ever played levels mean an obstacle course you traverse to get from Point A to Point B, a goal. Sometimes games have shortcuts and alternate paths, but Yoshi's Story has no goal. Yoshi's story is closer to Metroid or Castlevania, except instead of one giant world you're trying to progress through, it's broken into themed levels and there's nothing you have to acquire to progress. It's pure exploration, but what are you exploring for? FRUIT! Now this is where you play how you wanna play. Your first time playing this game, you'll probably just eat every fruit in sight except chili peppers as eating enough fruit, which is a bar shown around your screen, is the way to progress to the next chapter. When you start a chapter, you pick a color Yoshi you want to play as. The color Yoshi you pick is tied to that Yoshi's favorite fruit, such as Yellow Yoshi liking bananas. Eating these gives you more points and health than just any fruit. However, each time you begin a level there's a wheel that spins indicating your lucky fruit for that level. Eating these gives you even more points and health than even your favorite fruit. HOWEVER, every Yoshi loves melons. As you play you'll realize melons are the hardest fruit to come by, often hidden in out of the way areas, behind puzzles, given as rewards for skill challenges, etc. To maximize your score in a level, you would have to eat nothing but melons, but there's only just enough melons in every level to progress this way. That means every time an opportunity to get melons arises, you have to ace it to get as many melons as possible. Playing this way for maximum score radically shifts Yoshi's Story from a fairly easy game to an incredibly challenging one, and that's before you account for Time Trials mode where you're racing a clock while trying to maximize your score. So no, I don't think the game is too easy. I think it's accessible for everyone while maintaining an underlying level of challenge for more experienced players to dig into.

Beyond that, there's also a boss for each chapter hidden behind one of the specific levels of that chapter and there's two hidden Yoshi you can unlock. Some online guides mention a third hidden Yoshi you can unlock, but Damiani already did an episode of Pop Fiction on it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiSAqMRErOc
    It's also worth mentioning that the final boss gets harder depending which level in the last Chapter you pick, with the later ones leading to harder versions of the final boss. So there, the challenge is present if you seek it. But why do I love this game? Well, this game simply does something Yoshi games since has failed to accomplish. It's unique. There's interesting crazy enemies that just keep coming at you, the locations likewise stay surprising until the end, the game often throws different kinds of challenges at you, and the music is always interesting. It's a full fledged storybook adventure.

I don't want to knock Yoshi's Island DS and Wooly World too badly, because I do feel like those games tried. Yoshi's Island DS just kinda kills the chill vibes of these games by being a little too difficult, especially near the end. It's like Yoshi's Island for pros basically. My main gripe with Wooly World would be reused assets to a fault, reusing bosses multiple times and palette swapping unlockable Yoshi designs. Also, that game isn't sure if it wants to be a single player or multiplayer game, seemingly being designed entirely around the Amiibo functionality instead. Both games also reuse enemies from past games instead of creating new ones, except for afew extremely rare cases in Wooly World. Neither are nearly as insulting to the series lineage as Yoshi's New Island, the game that aspires to be nothing but the most cookie cutter sequel possible from music to level design, through and through. But I mention these other games in the series, because to this day some of these games are treated as better than Yoshi Story, scored higher, and I can't disagree more. This post is me begging you, if you love the original Yoshi's Island game give Yoshi Story an honest chance. Yes it's a weird game, but weird doesn't have to mean bad. It's got the heart from the original that the series seems to have lost touch with over the years.

• Global Moderator

Not a specific game, but I do have something for Browser games. I have played Ogame for like 2 years as well as some other ones on the side! I dunno why, but I just find it fun to build bases and upgrade units etc, perhaps its the RTS player in me.

• Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
    I got around 300 hours in this game. I regret nothing.

• Mine was a recent Dumb Game Monday actually - Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon
    It came with my PS3, along with Uncharted 1 and Assassin's Creed 2, and I immediately thought it was just some stupid kids game since I'd heard nothing but bad about post PS1 Spyro games. Because of that I was reserved to playing it only when I'd finished the other two games that I was absolutely pumped to play, but ended up playing it earlier than anticipated when AssCreed 2 proved to be a bit of a slog when played as one large chunk (I may or may not strongly dislike the AC series because of this game) and I needed a break. Turns out a whole bunch of different funky dragon powers and a leveling system for them makes for a really fun game. Story's terrible and the mixing is so bad you can't hear the evil dragon's words properly, but it was a really fun game to just kick back and breeze through. 3.6/10.

• @Elyra STAR FAX TEMPERATURES.
    No but seriously, as much as end up grinding my teeth about two hours in, something about that game... I just really enjoy it. :|

• Off the top of my head I can't think of any critically "panned" games that I loved, but Alien: Isolation I felt was woefully underrated by many of the "big" gaming sites (IGN, GS, GT, etc). That game is a 9/10 for me, not a 6. It's one of those games where yes it does a lot wrong, but what it does right it does so right.

• Ya that was a weird one. Reviews were a bit mixed while from what I could tell, most gamers loved it.

Easily my GOTY for 2014. I still can't believe something as generic as Shadow of Mordor won GOTY's that year.

• about a million RPGs

Tears to Tiara II: Heir of the Overlord Metacritic: 65
    Genuinely one of the best games I've ever played with a great battle system, fantastic plot twists and a great cast of characters I really loved.

The "problem" with it was that it had a very slowly paced opening and very VERY long dialogue sections, I doubt most reviewers even got past the intro section into the game proper, which is a shame because there are massive payoffs for everything set up there.

similar for games like Ar Tonelico series, Atelier series etc

oh and Armored Core, a vast number of reviewers for ACV didnt even learn how to turn their mechs thrusters on and complained about how slow movement was coupled with myriad complaints about how it was impenetrable for newcomers

• alt text

Bullet Witch might be my favorite single player experience on the 360. Highly destructible environments, lots of magic, fast action. It controlled great. It is an absolutely incredible game that lacks a lot of polish. Some of the supposed cons Bullet Witch has are actually pros to me, like the corny voice-overs. I haven't seen a game do some of the things Bullet Witch did. The Hurricane spell would pull in anything that wasn't bolted to the ground and destroy it. The Rose spell was basically Alicia's grenade and when you threw it near an enemy, spears wrapped in rose vines would impale them. The Meteor spell was capable of leveling blocks and blocks of an entire city; this is still one of the most awesome things I've ever seen in a game.

Again, all Bullet Witch lacked was polish. It was a perfect game otherwise, unless you can't get past a silly story and sillier voice acting. The gunplay was perfect, the progression was actually very well paced, the destruction you could cause is virtually unparalleled to this day.. There was only one stand-out annoying part of the game in, I believe, the second level where you had to hunt down some different colored floating brains.

It has a 55 and a 6.1 on Metacritic and many reviewers were even more harsh at launch.

I would love a re-release on PS4. I can't believe it ended up being a 360 exclusive. My 360 burned out so I haven't played it in probably six or seven years. If you ever get the chance, and you like third-person shooters do yourself a favor and try Bullet Witch out.

• Banned

DmC Devil May Cry.
    Mechanically it is better than half the mainline games, and unless you have a hardon for overplayed anime tropes, the story and characters are a lot better too. Kinda sad there will never be a squeakuel.

• I also loved The Getaway and Alpha Protocol.

And while the reviews aren't bad for FF 13. It was an awesome game. Had a wonderful soundtrack. Beautiful art direction. And fantastic engaging gameplay. I also liked the characters too.

• @Mbun Posting this as a different post so I can delete later if I remember, but just noticed you can get 15% off Yoshi's Story through My Nintendo 150 Platinum coins (the easy to earn ones that don't require spending money) this month.

• I'm still having a good time with No Man's Sky. Does that count?

• @TokyoSlim It's critically panned (at least to an extent) and you're enjoying it, so yep.

• I didn't think Duke Nukem Forever was a bad game. I don't know if I'd say it was great, but I played it once through and never felt like I regretted my time with it.

• I'd have to say it's Yoshi's New Island for 3DS. It's actually quite great and the first worthy successor since the original was released. Yoshi's Island DS was really bad so this was a welcome return to form.