Nintendo 3DS Direct Reactions

• Well well well, I must say I had zero expectations for this Direct, and there were some very surprising and exciting announcements!

• Ports of Super Mario Maker and Yoshi's Woolly World. Making the Wii U less and less relevant, but damn these games deserve to be played by more people, so screw it, why not!
    • Mario Sports Superstars! It looks very decent, I'm pretty sure I'll get it, if only for football and tennis.
    • Pikmin!! That one really came out of nowhere. Of course it's not "real" Pikmin, it actually feels more like Lemmings, but I think it could really work, I'm very optimisitc about this one!
    • Ever Oasis, it caught my eye at E3, especially because the creator worked on Secret of Mana. It feels like Animal Crossing + actual gameplay ;)
    • That Poochy amiibo, damn.
    • Skyward Sword, the best 3D Zelda, available on Wii U. get it now if you've never played it!

What did you like or dislike?

• Global Moderator

I think it says a lot that the biggest announcement from the 3DS direct was for WiiU.

At first I thought Super Mario Maker on 3DS was great but no online seems crazy and searching for WiiU courses sounds really awkward.

• @Axel said in Nintendo 3DS Direct Reactions:

• Ports of Super Mario Maker and Yoshi's Woolly World. Making the Wii U less and less relevant, but damn these games deserve to be played by more people, so screw it, why not!

Filler.

• Pikmin!! That one really came out of nowhere. Of course it's not "real" Pikmin, it actually feels more like Lemmings, but I think it could really work, I'm very optimisitc about this one!

Filler!

• Skyward Sword, the best 3D Zeld—

FILLER!

• The Pikmin game was a big surprise to me, I thought Pokemon would be the last big new title. The 3DS just won't die

• Ok....but what about Picross 3d? Honestly I am super pumped since I loved the first game!

• @Haru17 Super Mario Maker and Yoshi's Woolly World are not filler if you don't already have a Wii U, they're two excellent games.

And that Pikmin game isn't Pikmin 4, that would just not be possible on 3DS, but it looks like a fun take on the concept.

• Nothing of interest.

• Global Moderator

Only two things interested me DQVII and Ever Oasis.

• Surprisingly I'm interested in Mario Sports Superstars. Mario sport games tend to be more fun than the actual video games of the specific sport and having them all in one, instead of having a whole game for a single sport Is really a great idea at this point, after what happened to Mario Tennis on the WiiU.
    Other than that game I'm just interested in the updates they announced for Miiplaza and animal crossing...as stupid as they may be... they sound great.

oh.. and the dragon quests ones..maybe ill give that series a try.

• @Axel Super Mario Maker for 3DS is compromised. It loses the most important features, online course search and all the amiibo costumes. It also can't play all the stages the Wii U version can. The only thing it adds is challenge medals nobody will care about.

Poochy & Yoshi's Wooly World (That's the full title.) is a graphically compromised version of the Wii U title with added features on the other hand, so it's basically the definitive version of the game aside from graphics. Also comes bundled with an adorable Poochy Amiibo, so even though it's stupid to release your finished version of the game on worse hardware, at least it's for the most part a better game.

The Animal Crossing New Leaf Update, Pokemon Sun/Moon news, Ever Oasis news, Dragon Quest news, and Skyward Sword on Wii U eShop were pretty much the only good parts of the Direct. I guess the Zelda Amiibo were cool too, but they didn't tell us what they actually do in Breath of the Wild, and having Toon Zelda instead of Tetra is misplay of the century. Also, I really hope that Pikmin 3DS game wasn't what Miyamoto was teasing before, because it's made by the same team who did Yoshi's New Island, so it's going to be guaranteed trash. Plus, I noticed lots of bad marketing language in this Direct I'm not used to hearing in Directs like preorder, experience, and I even barely caught one season pass mention.

• To my surprise, as I didn't think it would happen again, I own a portable gaming system for the first time since 2007ish. Yesterday, I bought the $150 Super Mario 3D Land bundle and snagged Mario Golf World Tour as well. Don't own a Wii U, so I'm stoked for Super Mario Maker. I haven't seen a ton of Directs, but it was certainly better than the 2015 E3 show. Could've been much worse.

• Great Nintendo direct,as always. I look forward to a bunch of games they showed and i want those Zelda amiibo's. :)

• For reals though, Nintendo needs to chill with the 2D platformers. The answer to the question "why doesn't our system sell?" often needs to be "because most of the games we make for it are 2D platformers." Like, stahp.

• Any update on the Cloud Amiibo or if the Famicon 3DS is being release out of Japan?

• That was a waste of time:

• Dragon Quest 7 is this month, we already know it.

• SMT4 Apoc is this month, we already know it.

• Dragon Quest 8 is next year, would've been nice to have a DATE this time, 2017 was already confirmed months ago even before E3.

• Yawn Yoshi ported....

• More DLC for Hyrule Warriors on 3DS (Continuing to screw over the Wii-U version)

• Mario Maker ported....woooo

Like really, none of this needed a nintendo direct to discuss.

• @ZyloWolfBane I don't know what you expect from Nintendo Directs then. They're not meant to only drop bombshell announcements, they're here to regularly give updates about their release schedules, show new trailers/features for upcoming games, hardware, amiibo, AND announce new games. You can't expect them to announce 10 new dream games every few months.

And you're actually leaving out the actual new game announcements from your list, like Mario Sports or the new Pikmin. It's fine that you're not interested in any of those things, nobody's forcing you to like it, but it's pretty dishonest to say there was nothing worth talking about in this Direct.

@Mbun Yeah Super Mario Maker for 3DS sounds disappointing in that regard, losing the online sharing is a big issue. Not sure why that is, of course when you're on the go you can't connect to internet so you couldn't access those courses anyway, but they could still have allowed you to preload courses when at home, even if that's not very convenient, it's better than nothing.

I don't think that 3DS Pikmin is actually Pikmin 4, because as far as I remember they always made it sound like that would be a traditional Pikmin game. And they would have called it Pikmin 4 then, not "Pikmin for 3DS (name not final)" :). At least I hope so!

It's been clear for a while now that Nintendo is in full damage-control mode for the Wii U. They decided to kill it about a year ago (probably even earlier), shifted most of their resources to the NX to make sure this fiasco doesn't happen again, and they only have the 3DS to tide them over until then. So it's logical that they would port Wii U games which didn't sell as much as expected, and make "filler" games that don't require their top teams' involvement. So yes, the results are definitely hit-and-miss, but I fully believe this is just the calm before the NX storm.

@ZyloWolfBane I don't know what you expect from Nintendo Directs then. They're not meant to only drop bombshell announcements, they're here to regularly give updates about their release schedules, show new trailers/features for upcoming games, hardware, amiibo, AND announce new games. You can't expect them to announce 10 new dream games every few months.

And you're actually leaving out the actual new game announcements from your list, like Mario Sports or the new Pikmin. It's fine that you're not interested in any of those things, nobody's forcing you to like it, but it's pretty dishonest to say there was nothing worth talking about in this Direct.

@Mbun Yeah Super Mario Maker for 3DS sounds disappointing in that regard, losing the online sharing is a big issue. Not sure why that is, of course when you're on the go you can't connect to internet so you couldn't access those courses anyway, but they could still have allowed you to preload courses when at home, even if that's not very convenient, it's better than nothing.

I don't think that 3DS Pikmin is actually Pikmin 4, because as far as I remember they always made it sound like that would be a traditional Pikmin game. And they would have called it Pikmin 4 then, not "Pikmin for 3DS (name not final)" :). At least I hope so!

It's been clear for a while now that Nintendo is in full damage-control mode for the Wii U. They decided to kill it about a year ago (probably even earlier), shifted most of their resources to the NX to make sure this fiasco doesn't happen again, and they only have the 3DS to tide them over until then. So it's logical that they would port Wii U games which didn't sell as much as expected, and make "filler" games that don't require their top teams' involvement. So yes, the results are definitely hit-and-miss, but I fully believe this is just the calm before the NX storm.

There's just nothing worth the announcement, they could've posted it at any time, they could've showed it at E3 instead of holding back everything.

They spent more time discussing games everyone knows about than anything that's new.

Mario sports? Ok, new game, but is it really? No, it's a bunch of little games from the Wii/Wii-U ported to 3DS in one cart.

2D Pikmin...yeah, not exciting.

It wasn't dishonest, it just wasn't relevant to the point I was making. Those two games were all that was actually new. Everything else didn't even need to be mentioned.

No surprises, nothing exciting, nothing to make us feel like they aren't phasing out the 3DS in the next year which they kind of owe it to people to try and encourage us to support this platform.

The thread was asking for reactions, that was my reaction. There's no argument to make to the contrary as this is how it makes me feel. You feel different? Good for you, I'm not saying you're wrong. But I don't agree.

• I'm interested in Tank Troopers and Ever Oasis. I also had no idea Dragon Quest 8 was getting a 3DS port.

• @ZyloWolfBane said in Nintendo 3DS Direct Reactions:

There's just nothing worth the announcement, they could've posted it at any time, they could've showed it at E3 instead of holding back everything.

They spent more time discussing games everyone knows about than anything that's new.

I don't get it. Sure they could have announced Pikmin separately a month ago, announced Mario Sports last week, announced the Wii U ports next week... But again, that's the whole point of Nintendo Directs, to combine all sorts of announcements and updates together in a big media blowout. Not all of it is going to be of interest to everyone, but this way they ensure they've got everyone's attention at once. It's never been said that Nintendo Directs are only for revealing Super Mario Galaxy 3 or Metroid Prime 4.

No surprises, nothing exciting, nothing to make us feel like they aren't phasing out the 3DS in the next year which they kind of owe it to people to try and encourage us to support this platform.

But they are phasing out the 3DS in the next year, so it would be hard for them to make us feel otherwise. Why shouldn't they talk about their big upcoming games like Dragon Quest or Pokemon? That's just like any other marketing campaign. Would you say the launch trailer for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided wasn't worth making because the game had already been announced before, so why show it again? And look at the post above, @DizBomber803 wasn't aware Dragon Quest 8 was coming, so it was useful to some.

And like I said, most of their development resources have been shifted to the NX, so we shouldn't expect other major releases for Wii U or 3DS anymore.

Still, there are some good-looking games in there and again, for people who don't have a Wii U, those ports are effectively brand new games, and Yoshi at least is an excellent title.

I'm far from ecstatic about the current state of Nintendo's releases, but all we can do is patiently wait for the NX at this point. Soon... Maybe... One day...

But they are phasing out the 3DS in the next year, so it would be hard for them to make us feel otherwise. Why shouldn't they talk about their big upcoming games like Dragon Quest or Pokemon? That's just like any other marketing campaign. Would you say the launch trailer for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided wasn't worth making because the game had already been announced before, so why show it again?

That would be a valid comparison IF the same launch trailer had been first revealed 6 months ago and then again at launch, DQ8 has had no new information since it's reveal.

There's no reason to keep bringing it up without a date, we KNOW it's coming since it hasn't been cancelled, the only thing people want to know is WHEN. Repeating that it's "Sometime 2017" does nobody any good.

It's like having your boss call you in to work on your days off to hold a store meeting and repeat the same information each time, it's not useful to you, it's not giving you anything new to think about or look forward to.

I get what you're trying to say, but again trying to lump all this info together for one reveal and having it mostly be comprised of things about to launch or re-iterating old info is pointless, they can be discussed or posted online at any time.

Hell, there's pokemon posts almost every day, Dragon quest 7 posts via twitter/facebook quite frequently by Nintendo, Square-Enix, and Gamestop, kotaku, destructoid, etc

Holding a direct should be for new announcements, not old. Again, I KNOW 3DS is being phased out, the Japanese release list isn't much larger than ours. It's quite clear. But THEY insist this isn't the case, and they aren't doing much to dispel that fear. This direct makes that feeling WORSE.

I'm not debating this further with you, I have my reactions to this whole mess. You have yours. Drop the subject please.