How do you decide when you have a new favorite game?

• My favorite game for a long while was Azure Dreams. I have always loved it, and enjoyed it the few times I have replayed it. Though it is a little older, always at the top. However recently the Yakuza series has given me a ton of enjoyment. I find everything about that game to be so much fun! It has left me thinking, how do I decide if I have a new favorite? It is hard to compare two (or more) such different games. And it has been a while since I played my old favorite. Maybe I should just update my top 10?

So, how do you figure out when you have a new favorite? I can't imagine it is an easy choice!

• @parasitepaladin I think you basically hit on how I view it - I don't just have a number one game, I have games that are shining examples of their genre. I love Silent Hill 2 and while I could certainly say it's my favorite, what if I'm not in the mood for survival-horror? For me, this thinking applies to a lot of different examples - Persona, Symphony of the Night - hell, even music and movies are subject to this. I personally don't like saying one thing is my favorite and better than anything else because of genres and the fact that everything has flaws.

I mostly just replied though to say Azure Dreams is excellent and should get way more love than what it does.

• This is actually an interesting question to me. I don't really have a no. 1 despite being a big list maker. I have a kind of top tier though? I don't really think that my #1, even if I had one, would be a very coveted position simply because I haven't played all that I want to yet.

But a new favorite to me is kind of a feeling. It's something that I can sense pretty early on, and unless something changes the direction I think or feel it's going in pops up those feelings stay true. Even if I change my mind about the game, those initial feelings are still important.

• I don't have a favorite game per say, but there are games where I start to think of my life as starting a new chapter because of them. Most recently my life before and after Persona.

• @michemagius said in How do you decide when you have a new favorite game?:

I don't have a favorite game per say, but there are games where I start to think of my life as starting a new chapter because of them. Most recently my life before and after Persona.

I think this is true for me as well, specifically I think it would be Persona 4 and Nier for me. I don't think I would be as much as I am into games today if it weren't for Persona, I was definitively a gamer before it, but I don't think I had the appreciation for gaming like I do now. And Nier was able to show me to appreciate what is truly important in different games, so I definitively think it was a before and after for me.

Persona 4 is without a doubt my favorite, simply because no game has given me as much joy, so I guess that I simply measure it by how invested I've gotten from a particular game.

• Well a first sign for me is if I manage to finish the game. I can be bad at finishing games, so it's impressive for a game to keep me interested, if it's a story game anyway.
    Another indicator is if I think about the game when I'm not playing it, and if I search out more content. Mass Effect was easy for me to recognize as a fave when I went out and read all the books.

But really for me to know for sure it's a favourite, it takes time. I need to play the game multiple times. Otherwise they're just games I really like.

• It's just a feeling. Like a tingle in your balls. You just know.

And for me it's Dark Souls. Kooloo-limpah!

• When I walk away at the end with what feels like an experience that tops what is currently there. That hasn't happened since 1999, but its all fair game and every game has the chance to be it.

• To me it's all about two distinct things that happen after I'm done with the game:

1st: An overwhelming bittersweet feeling when I'm done. The joy of finishing Persona 4 but also saying goodbye to those characters. It also happened to me with Mass Effect and Yakuza.

2nd: The game stays with you for a long time. This is a different feeling but not any less important. Some games creep up on you and you keep thinking about them for, well, the rest of your life. This was the case with Valkyria Chronicles and Nier for example. They felt awesome for the whole time I played but I wasn't thinking I would keep such great memories of them.

• I don't know if I have a favorite game, I'm so bad at finishing games and I stick with games for such small amounts of time it's hard to pick. I tend to pick games I can play with friends, but my friends jump between games too often to really get attached to any one thing. :(

• i dont have a clear cut number 1 i have 4 games i love equally that my favorite of the four changes with my mood

• @FF7Cloud said in How do you decide when you have a new favorite game?:

i dont have a clear cut number 1 i have 4 games i love equally that my favorite of the four changes with my mood

I had a similar thing. For the longest time my favorites were Twilight Princess ('06), Skyrim ('11), and The Last of Us ('13), then Monster Hunter 3 ('10) crept into my heart when I revisited it in 2014. Those games all tied with their various different strengths, but before long I realized that my first love was also my greatest. So Twilight Princess is my favorite thing ever made, but Skyrim, Last of Us, and Monster Hunter 3 all tie for the second spot.

• I go through a phase where I think "yes this is it! my new favorite game!" And then a day or two later I just go back to believing that it's Half Life 1.
    There were some great contenders though, such as:
    Xenoblade Chronicles
    Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
    Shin Megami Tensei IV
    Deus Ex 1
    Deus Ex Mankind Divided
    Shadow of the Collosus
    and Resident Evil Remake

But Half Life always wins out in the end.
    Every playthrough I consistently find myself tense and unsure if I'll survive the next encounter or even just navigating the landscape, and that pacing is incredible.

• I don't decide, it decides ME!

• @Haru17 for the longest time in my life it was ocarina of time from the time i was 8 untill i was 14 id replay that game twice a year.
    On christmas of 2004 i got a ps2 and soon after i found a copy of ff7 a game that i had family and friends praise to beat hell and thought lets see if its worth the hype
    it so was but is better then oot? debatable is it the best final fantasy game? no its not in 2007 when i was in 9th grade (im old i know) i got a psp with final fantasy tactics that game has the greatest story i have ever witnessed in any medium, but strategy rpgs are inferior to regular rpgs gameplay and freedom wise. my last favorite of the four is final fantasy 9 the perfect final fantasy game.

• In this installment of "Haru17 Feels Himself," I'm pretty good at telling whether I'll like a game or not before buying it. Betcha didn't see that one coming.

So, haha, I had my eye on Shadow of Mordor from its initial December Game Informer reveal all the way to launch the following September. It was fun and the story had some neat moments, kinda like all the Hobbit movies.

Then I remember seeing a walkthrough of the dryer puzzle from Life is Strange at Paris Games Week (?) 2014 after spotting it in Game Informer. I was super down from the first episode despite all of the critics and it only got better from there. Despite some flaws it's still probably one of the best games this gen—certainly one of the most innovative what with rewinding dialogue trees.

Lastly, I wasn't really hyped on Fallout 4 coming out of E3, mostly because it was taking the place of another Elder Scrolls game. Then, near launch, I started watching some trailers and getting excited despite it not being the Bethesda franchise that I was most thirsty for, and I bought that game and really enjoyed it. It was a kind of streamlined Skyrim with some improvements (traps, radiation) and some detractors (guns are ranged filth, there weren't as many neat quests despite the good idea of involving the factions in the main plot). It was what I thought it was: A good game that's ultimately a stopgap until The Elder Scrolls VI or whatever new IP nonsense Bethesda has cooking.

The only games I've been wrong about were:

• Far Cry 4: I thought this was going to be much more fun than it ended up being and I should have bought GTA 5 PS4 instead, which launched the same day.

• No Man's Sky: Bought this despite my grave skepticism about randomly generated BS and size-central marketing because I thought it'd be fun to discover things with everyone. It was certainly not. Probably one of the most egregiously-priced $60 games this gen.

• There've been a couple times where I've primarily trusted reviews to guide my purchases. They were mistakes. Whenever I buy a game because it's praised and scores 9s and so on, as opposed trusting my own jaded, largely loathsome views, I end up feeling put out. This generation has been a lot more fun for me since I've stopped reading reviews.

That has been "Haru17 Feels Himself," I'm sorry if you weren't feelin' it.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.