What is your favorite game and why?

• If I had to pick one game it would have to be Mass Effect 2. I'm a huge science fiction fan. Anything involving space and aliens I'm on board with. The Mass Effect games were basically a dream come true for me. The world they crafted was memorable and interesting. That's so hard to get right and they nailed it. Mass Effect 2 in particular had such a perfect pace. It was a vast improvement on the first game from a technical standpoint and the ending was probably the greatest pay off in any game I've ever played. The way you built up your squad and your relationships with those characters and how those connections directly impacted how the ending played out... beautiful.

It's a shame they couldn't replicate that feeling in the third game because from a gameplay perspective it was the best in the series. Pretty much everything about Mass Effect 3 was fantastic until the last twenty minutes of the game. The story with the Geth and the Quarians... Mordin and the Krogans... so many amazing levels. Mass Effect 2 just had the best package overall. Glad to see a lot of people here feel the same love for it!

• Gotta say I've thought about this but I have to say Ace Attorney. If I had to choose a game of the series it'd be 3 because of that final case. Second is probably Mass Effect 2, Last of Us, and maybe Danganronpa 2....??? I know Borderlands 2 and Kingdom Hearts 1 are both up in my higher echelon of games. Also. The hidden gem; OlliOlli2.

• Persona 4, to me it is just the best at doing plenty of things in games, and the way you relate to the characters is unmatched. Every single time I've beaten the game (8 times) I have wanted nothing more than to immediately start another playthrough.

• River City Ransom

RPG elements in a brawler. Open world. Bosses upon bosses. Various factions. Couch co-op.

Game was WAY ahead of its time. I wish I had a chance to play the other Kunio releases as a kid.

• The game I have replayed the most is Mass Effect. It's fun to play, I adore all the characters and it let me live in that world. I also count all 3 as one large game. Sure the ending is... disappointing, but that Citadel DLC made up for a lot.

Kingdom Hearts was pretty memorable. A friend and I stayed up for 60ish hours and finished it in one weekend at college.

My favourites as a kid though were Mario Bros 3 and Phantasy Star IV.

• If I had to narrow it down to a single game I would probably say Mother 3. It is the most emotionally impacting game I have ever played, it has perfect control over your emotions the entire way through. It's amazingly quirky, incredibly fun and has absolutely sublime writing for a game. Itoi is a genius.

However, despite saying all that if you asked me on a different day I might say something different. Common favorite games for me include:
    Final Fantasy VII, IX and X
    Earthbound
    Terranigma
    Xenogears
    Chrono Cross
    Dark Cloud
    Breath of Fire IV
    Majora's Mask

• Global Moderator

Is it just me, or is there a trend of JRPG leading? It might be that JRPG knows how to tick so many boxes! like atmosphere, music and characters you actually can relate to!

• @Musou-Tensei said in What is your favorite game and why?:

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon on N64.

I remember my cousin had an N64 and but never had a memory pak which is required for this game. We loved Mystical Ninja on SNES and he told me he rented it and beat it in a day. Never turned off the game. I borrowed it from him and did the same thing. Summoning Impact for the first time was one of the best gaming moments ever.

For me, the game I appreciate the most is Mega Man X (trust me there are tons of runner ups).

What I loved about Mega Man X is how it nailed next gen gaming. When Super Nintendo, most games got the "Super" upgrade; an experience that just couldn't be achieved on the normal NES. This includes Double Dragons, Castlevania, Super Mario, Contra, etc. Mega Man X did everything Mega Man did, but bigger, faster, and with more style. His jump animation is slick! I still remember discovering the wall kick for the first time and being blown away. The controls are tight. Dashing and gunning never felt so good.

• Mostly things I played through with my sister when we were kids, so games like Secret of Mana and Legend of the Mystical Ninja.

• Grandia & Grandia 2 for a myriad of reasons

I would argue Grandia has the best battle system of any RPG ever
    The soundtracks by Noriyuki Iwadare are some of the finest compositions ever

but more than just being incredibly well crafted videogames there are so many ideas and feelings in these stories and worlds that have inspired me and stuck with me.

The spirit of adventure, of wanting to go explore a world and find strange otherworldly places no-one else has been to.
    Following your dreams and your passions even if society is moving away from them.
    Spending so much time in and around a starting area that you really feel sadness at "leaving home"
    The difference between maturity and mere cynicism
    Believing in yourself even when you're crushed to find out people close to you dont.

and of course, more importantly. Poking all the items and furniture in peoples houses to see what they do

• Four of my most favorite games of all time:

XCOM Ufo Defense
    alt text
    I played this game for hundreds of hours. Mostly with my neighbor, each of us having their own save slot, hot-seating through the thing. Reloading was not allowed, everyone was to play for 30 minutes, then the other one picked up mouse and keyboard and loaded his save file.
    When playing, there was always this dread of losing your best men or a mission. When not playing, there was always this hope that something really spectacular would happen. Like that one alien grenade wiping out a handful of soldiers.
    This is an absolute masterpiece.

Worms Armageddon
    alt text
    In 1999 to 2000 I played about three hours of hotseat each day. Don't think there was a person on this world that had more hours on this thing in 1999/2000. Played mostly bazooka & grenades with 10 seconds of move time, no ropes. The matches we had were epic.

Jagged Alliance 2
    alt text
    Similar to xcom: me and a friend, each his own saveslot, alternating for hours on end. We played this in 2002, some years after the game came out.
    The hardest difficulty option, reloading was not allowed. Each decision mattered. Still remember Raven bleeding out in the central city, Cambria. She was shot in the sector where the mine is located. One of the best tactical games of all time.

Persona 4 Golden
    Persona 4 Golden
    Played this on my Vita last year. Is there any explanation needed? 80 hours for the true ending, played on easy difficulty. Introduced me to other Shin Megami Tensei games.

• Warcraft 3 - The Frozen Throne.

The custom games are still industry-leading for innovation to this day. Mobile games, flash games, and even plenty of Sub-$30 games are still trying to compare to the quality of some of those custom games.

It also really solidified my passion for PC Gaming. The customization spoke to me.

• Braid ps3/xbox360/pc/mac
    Because it was the first time I felt that I was playing more than a game. There's themes of love lost and looking back at relationships and romanticizing them, but it's all very poetic and subtle. I played this game while I was in a similar situation so it hit home. The end "level" is pure genius and hit me in the balls like no other moment in a video game ever did. Besides that, the puzzle platforming was also pretty damn hard at times but I never looked at a walkthrough, so there's the pride in that also. Anyway, great game, it gets lumped together with Limbo a lot of times as the 1st batch of popular "indie" games, but Limbo, while good, isn't even in the same league as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, other than that:
    Portal 1 & 2
    Super Mario Bros
    Tetris
    Donkey Kong Country
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Gran Turismo 1
    Colin McRae Rally
    Tenchu
    Street Fighter 2 Turbo
    Tekken 3
    Super Mario Kart & Mario Kart DS
    The Last of Us
    Heavy Rain
    Hitman 2
    Uncharted 2
    Excite Truck
    Wii Sports (yup)

Disclaimer, I'm a casual, but I've been a casual since the NES, so yeah, it's something!

• Probably Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. It was my first JRPG, had plenty of humor I still find funny to this day, and being a 7 year old with the ability to play as Bowser was bad ass lol.

Another 2 options I might say are Majora's Mask, and Dragon Quest 7. Both for the superb context and atmosphere. 7 may have used the same 10 character models, but damn could it build a world... literally lol

• The Original Deus Ex

alt text

Because this is text book example of how to make a game. Immersive FPS/RPG hybrid with one of the best storyline ever, Untouchable level design and atmosphere.

• Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

My teenager heart wasnt ready for this

• @KingofDMC Just buy a PSTV, hell I think gamestop sells them for like $20 now. Sync up a Dualshock 4, and your good to go

• alt text

Scholar Of The First Sin.

Became an incredibly personal game for me, with a story which continues to fascinate and ignite me, dancing back and forth with very real world stuff which became a huge part of the experience.

Beyond that, the fascinating development process - spotlighting the sheer genius of Yui Tanimura. A man who not only came onboard to rescue a broken game and get it shipped on time, but as solo director created some of Souls very finest levels as the Three Crowns Trilogy DLC. Still refusing to let the game go Tanimura continued with Scholar, remixing enemy placements, story, continuity, as well as introducing the character of the Scholar himself.

I continue to be utterly smitten with it.

alt text

But never forgetting the magnificence of Demon's Souls.

Still a terrifying enigma, with stunning design work and a world which pushes needles into me whenever I play it.

I've been here since importing the US Special Edition all those many moons ago, and I still can't quite get the measure of Miyazaki's first Souls game.

• alt text

Because it changed my perspective on life itself through the Paragon/Renegade system: I chose to be more Paragon in real life because of this trilogy. I had never cared more for video game characters than I did in this game, and I wanted them to be well. So I played Paragon, and then I felt that in real life I was being too much of an asshole (read: Renegade) at that time. So I chose to change that. It made me a better person, and that's not something any other game achieved for me.

• I really couldn't say.

The game I completed the most often is by far Super Mario 64 (still do a 120 playthrough every year), but I wouldn't necessarily call it my "favourite game". I suppose I'll answer Mount and Blade: Warband, but reserve the right to change my mind at any time.