Metroid Prime: Federation Force flops in UK and Japan

• Sources: Famitsu (via Kotaku) and Eurogamer (discovered on NeoGAF)

Eurogamer:
    Federation Force is entirely absent from the UK all-format top 40, which still hosts other, ancient 3DS games on its list such as New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Tomodachi Life.

Kotaku:
    In its first week on sale in Japan, Nintendo 3DS title Metroid Prime: Federation Force only sold 4286 copies, according to Famitsu’s sales data. The game came in at number 20 in the weekly sales ranking.

Each article has more information about its chart information, and man it doesn't look good. What do you think this means for the Metroid series? I can't imagine what Next Level Games, Federation Force's developer, must be going through right now. Could this affect this division?

• It's not the first Metroid to do poorly, it just means that they most likely won't be making another one with that dev. Their release list is rather short to begin with, it was a rather strange gamble on nintendo's part.

Nevermind the fact that a spin-off title was going to upset people even if it ended up being good, it was just a bad idea all around in my opinon.

• @ZyloWolfBane That being said, this is by far the worst selling Metroid game. Coming at only 10% the sales of Metroid: Other M in Japan, and outsold by Mario Kart 7 in the UK, a game that's 5 years old. I just hope Nintendo doesn't learn the wrong lesson from this game (I'm looking at you F-Zero).

• I wouldn't be too worried about Next Level Games, they made the game Nintendo asked for, it's not their fault really.

About the future of Metroid, I wouldn't be too worried either, because I am absolutely convinced there is another, proper one currently in development, and to be released next year on NX. So they'll go through with that one. If it bombs too, then we can start being worried. But it won't, because it'll be great! ;)

• I'm not sure if it's a good or a bad sign. I don't think the game itself is that bad from what I've seen, but nobody wants a Metroid spin-off when there's no Metroid game in recent years and nothing on our radar; Nobody asked for this. It's a good sign to Nintendo that we don't want cheap spin-offs and that we're actually waiting for the proper games. However, Nintendo will probably assume that nobody cares about Metroid and it will be pushed even further down the priority list.

• It's a shame, but it had no chance in Japan anyway. Japan has always been a bad market for Metroid, and Prime especially never did well there. So a spin off of those games won't do well.

As for Metroid itself, Nintendo should know that this game's failure has nothing to do with the Metroid series. The announcement and marketing of this game was terrible. The game itself is actually pretty good. But you would not know that by looking at the promotion since they just showed Blast Ball.

• @Octane said in Metroid Prime: Federation Force flops in UK and Japan:

I'm not sure if it's a good or a bad sign. I don't think the game itself is that bad from what I've seen, but nobody wants a Metroid spin-off when there's no Metroid game in recent years and nothing on our radar; Nobody asked for this.

alt text

but with Samus