My Very In Depth, "Death Stranding" Analysis and Thoughts

• I would love that Kojima sticks to what he is good at and make linear games because I really think MGS V could have been a much better game if it followed in the same footsteps as the previous entries.

Other than that I would love for the game to be focused on horror because i really feel we are lacking well made horror titles

• @crimilde I'm really struggling to come up something other than Kojima walking faster than the light stairs was not accidental. He timed it exactly how he wanted.

The message being that nothing can stop him, he'll keep coming, etc. This almost makes me feel more confident about my metaphor of him being the Norman reed's character.

• Whenever I try to speculate I always end up over analyzing and the product is much simpler in the end. I am still working on my interpretation but this teaser we saw isn't even going to be in the final game which make me skeptical.

• @SIX2SE7EN This is a pretty good point. I agree that this teaser will not be directly related to the game. We'll get a trailer in a few years and have it explained.

• Hah, finally back at home from work and can post my more in-depth thoughts on this.

The William Blake poem tied in might signify that Norman has been reborn. He is in his "innocent" state, Adam before eating the apple, if you wish, untainted, naked (as the day you were born is the saying), waking up in a somewhat fetal position on the beach. A new beginning, a new chance, a clean slate for him.

This is also tied in to the fact that the baby is there, maybe a symbol of his rebirth as well (or a symbol of the taint that was inside of him / removed from him). The cross scar on Norman's abdomen and the fact that the foetus is tied with an umbilical cord-like wire to him might suggest that the baby was a part of him. When he touches it it disappears and it's oil that's left behind, suggesting that what seemed like innocent at first was in fact corrupted and spoiled. He's crying in relief I think because it was a part of him that he had lost, or that had been (forcefully) removed.

The poem meaning that the natural world can be regenerated in time, when free of the humans' corruption (since once we touch anything we "spoil it"), combined with the beached whales and generally dead marine life all around, and the oily prints, might indicate that the newly born, innocent Norman has woken up in (a mirror of) a world devastated by human interference, to the brink of destruction really.

The desolation of the island and the fact that he's the only living creature on the beach, again tied to the Blake poem might indicate that he's actually somewhere different / in this dehumanized word capable of revealing infinity.

Now, what infinity means, I guess we can kind of extrapolate through the 5 figures in the sky. Infinity (Heaven) is revealed by the dehumanized world, like the 5 figures are revealed in the sky after the foetus' disappearance. Norman himself has 6 tokens (keys?) around his neck, suggesting that he is / might come to be the 6th matching figure and holds the keys to fully reveal the other 5.

On to the 6 "keys", we can see two equations on them. The Dirac equation is the most interesting one, because first it stipulates that parity is symmetry for particles (6 is an even number, so Norman and the 5 figures are / should become symmetrical). Secondly, it implies the existence of antimatter. Antimatter is composed of the antiparticles of those making up normal matter. So if the dehumanized world is normal matter, Norman and the 5 figures would be the equivalent of antimatter. Tainted world vs innocence, maybe?

Tying into what Kojima said about Kobo Abe, the sticks and ropes, we can see that all the dead creatures and the tainted baby have wires attached to them, so they are important things, things that we need to keep close but instead managed to destroy. The destroying presence is represented by the oily handprints, and Norman himself is covered in scar-like handprints on his shoulders and back, scars that are healed but might be further suggestion to his newly acquired innocent state.

The handcuffs are a remnant of his previous experiences, and also a kind of rope. Maybe they were used for him to keep someone close, or for someone to keep him close.

Okay that's about it. Sorry if some of the stuff doesn't make any sense, I'm tired. :grin:

So yeah, it might be a metaphor of his life, or a completely different thing. I'm still very confused about it all.

• Those people floating in the sky gave me chills, so ominous and foreboding, although they don't really do anything it felt like it represented an evil force. All the stranded fish gave me the impression that whatever force is out there, it's so fearsome the fish would rather die than face it.

• @crimilde Definitely still thinking on the stuff you've said. Just to keep my original metaphor going about Konami. Kojima started working there when he was 17, and he is in his 50s now. However much people like to sort of dismiss Konami these days, it literally was his life. So to me, its definitely an angle worth exploring.

I did write this while working, so it may be a bit jumbled. Going to edit it later tonight.

Your thoughts on the baby make me a little more confident that Kojima was probably working on PT-PT Related things for a while, which matches the MSGV timeline as well. I believe it could mean enough to be represented like it is. The handcuffs definitely feel like Metal Gear Solid, and what that series is to him right now. They are seperate from those 5 figures, but at the same time, they hold him back in some ways.

The poem, when describing the world itself, makes sense to me if the marine life represents the gaming industry. Human's corruption ruin the ecosystem. Without that corruption, the industry can be regenerated.

For the desolution in the island, I need to rewatch it, but do we ever see a camera angle showing anything behind Norman Reedus? I could see there being meaning there.

The equation is one where I'm not sure how deeply he would have consciously thought. It could be a simply metaphor for him being the opposite of those figures.

I'll definitely think on this more, I have to get back to work!

• @crimilde Something I saw earlier is that perhaps the equations have something to do with the Technological Singularity.

• Banned

Good write up. I agree with you. Those 5 people in the sky 100% represent Konami. They're in business suits and and watching Reedus (Kojima) and stole his baby (Silent Hills).

• YongYea did a pretty good video sharing some theories: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nexUoAdZ940

I wonder if the letters with strings hanging down are some sort of anagram. Kind of like the stars on the Super Mario Galaxy logo spelling "UR MR GAY". The letters from the trailer with strings are "AANAENTRSYYDJAMENINEATSTING". I might be missing a few letters, because some of them are hard to tell. I'm not good at anagrams so I can't tell if there's a hidden message. Kojima is no stranger to these kind of things. Remember Joakim Mogren?