PS4 Neo revealed as PS4 Pro

• PS4 Pro is actually a good name to avoid any confusion. PS4K or PS4 Neo are too close to what Nintendo did with their WiiU naming which caused confusion.

• I don't think we can say what benefits the pro will have over the ps4 at this point, but I'm guessing it will have improved performance and more effects. You should see some benefit even if you don't have a 4k hdr tv (I'm not saying it'll be worth the price).

Unfortunately, it'll be really hard to get hyped by any reveal/gameplay trailers going forward as all of them will be running on a pro. I'm also a bit concerned that there will be a slow decline in the quality of ps4 games as more people upgrade to the pro.

• One word review: Meh.

• @Linky Do you already own a PS4? If not it'll be the thing that's proofed for the rest of the gen and allows you to take advantage of when/if you decide to go with a 4k tv in the future.

It'll be my youtube/netflix box eventually, like how my ps2 is my dvd player, but it'll be at 4K. Now gimme that FFXV bundle.

• @Nillend said in PS4 Neo revealed as PS4 Pro:

One word review: Meh.

Four words: "Your review is overtext."

• Banned

@Linky Well they already showed that some games will use improved graphics on 1080p displays. Increased anti aliasing, better lighting, increased framerates etc.

• I kinda wanna just keep calling it the Neo instead

• I would have preferred if they had improved the specs but that said as I no longer own a PS4, I'll definitely pick up the Pro (awful name) when I get back home.

• @Mr-M Does a PS2 count, I just don't see myself owning a 4k TV anytime soon but I am interested in picking up a PS4 sometime soon.

• @Linky I answered earlier to you "no" for getting a Pro, but that was really on the perspective if you already have a PS4. My perspective.

But since you don't have the console, then yeah, I'd say absolutely go for the Pro. Extra 100 bucks will get you a better version of the machine that'll be ready for future also.

• I said this on stream, and I don't want to be oldmanshoutsatclouds, but I loathe this name. I understand and appreciate the decision to settle on that name. Not Plus, not Neo, not 4K - those names don't immediately communicate that you're missing something, your PS4 experience is clearly lacking. Pro seems cynical and the decision to show it with COD seems even more so. I will naturally buy one because i don't know what's good for me. When I bought my OG OLED Vita I knew it was a great purchase. PS4 Pro makes me feel like a sucka :(

• To those irked that the Pro didn't up the specs or whatever, think of it this way: Developers will continue to be forced to make games with decent frame rates for the PS4s most of us already own, regardless of whatever pricy shit Microsoft and Microsoft pull, because this is where the bulk of their audience is.

• @Haru17 said in PS4 Neo revealed as PS4 Pro:

To those irked that the Pro didn't up the specs or whatever, think of it this way: Developers will continue to be forced to make games with decent frame rates for the PS4s most of us already own, regardless of whatever pricy shit Microsoft and Microsoft pull, because this is where the bulk of their audience is.

I was thinking about this while I was seeing the negative reactions people were having. The PS4 Pro at $399 is not compelling when compared to the $399-$499 Scorpio that's coming next year. However, the Pro probably isn't going to be $399 when the Scorpio comes out, and Microsoft has already said they're not mandating developers make their Scorpio games run on Xbox One. I think Sony is playing the timing game. If Sony's goal is to transition people from new console to new console without them losing the games they already own, then is the Scorpio really that appealing? Is it more powerful? Yes. Will it do more? Probably. If I own 50+ PS4 games am I going to get one? Probably not. I'm probably going to either get the Pro (doubtful) or just wait for the more powerful PS5 to come out in 2018-2019.

While I have no desire to get a Pro, I do think there are some really silly reasons that people are getting irked; not the least of which is the "no one owns 4K" idea. Nintendo wasn't exactly lauded for taking the same position with the Wii.

• I'm pretty undecided as someone who has not bothered to get a PS4 yet. On one hand I do not want to wait 2 weeks to play Last Guardian if I op for the Pro. But I really just want a decent framerate across even existing games. They haven't really elaborated further on the "adjustable features" other than the one Tomb Raider demonstration. If the Slim happens to at least have 1TB I might just cave in to be an earlier adopter because there's just no way I'm getting a 4k tv to take advantage. If the Ps4 Pro was pushed back to 2017 this would be a no brainer for me.

This whole thing just sets a bad precedent overall imo.

• It's already been confirmed by CD during the post conference show that patched Pro games can (and in the case of the "new" tomb raider, at least) will have a graphics slider which gives the option of 4k30, 1080p30 "max settings", or 1080pUnlocked (he said 45+fps). That's a pretty big benefit if that's going to be relatively common. I hope it's something more devs decide to do.

Youtube Video – [2:16:25..]

• Banned

What a disappointing console. They didn't reveal the specs. I still haven't in to it mutch is it true that it doesn't supportUHD bluyrays ? I have been saving up cash. I wanted UHD TV and PS4 neo or new gaming pc build or a nice Weatherby bolt action and Leapold scope. So I guess its down to two. pc or rifle.

• @TokyoSlim said in PS4 Neo revealed as PS4 Pro:

It's already been confirmed by CD during the post conference show that patched Pro games can (and in the case of the "new" tomb raider, at least) will have a graphics slider which gives the option of 4k30, 1080p30 "max settings", or 1080pUnlocked (he said 45+fps). That's a pretty big benefit if that's going to be relatively common. I hope it's something more devs decide to do.

Youtube Video – [2:16:25..]

Yeah that is something that I picked up as well and thought was interesting. That developers could create one 1080p setting for HD tv:s with more detail and stuff or maybe higher fps, and one 4K setting for those who have 4K tv:s and want that high resolution. Sounds great if it's an option that games will have. Hopefully Microsoft will do this too with Scorpio, though they didn't mentioned it, instead I believe Phill said that if you don't have a 4K tv there will be no real reason to buy Scorpio. We'll see.

Also, the name is awful. It's like any regular PS4 is for amateurs that can't play. Plus it is annoying to say.

• I really don't like the name. "Pro" is virtually a buzzword. "Pro" is something you attach to a mouse or a keyboard or some other peripheral.

If I try to think of a worse name the system could realistically have, I can't come up with one.

Only watched the EZA stream so I didn't get to see much of the graphical benefits. I only really care about the VR benefits though. We won't see the full potential for a while though. Hopefully.

• @Sage-Of-Thyme I totally agree. I am very surprised that they name it the Pro. Maybe every company is going to use Pro instead of S now when they release a newish product.

Maybe they will release a PS4 Pro S in the future...

And the product itself.. I don't know. We're probably getting tons of graphical comparison videos the next year between PS4 and PS4PRO and XboxOneS and Scorpio. Hopefully the difference is very much noticeable, both on a 'conventional' TV as on a 4K HDR compatible one.

• @Sage-Of-Thyme I've been thinking about it. It's not the worst choice.

S or L that phones used is meant for a size different, which isn't the point of PS4 Pro.
    Plus is used by a lot of phones, so they didn't want to go that route.
    4k isn't going to be entirely true because games might not even hit 4k. It's up to the dev.
    They don't want to go Elite like the 360 because it doesn't run off the tongue. Xbox Three Sixty Elite just sounds stupid.

Pro is used by Apple for multiple of their devices, so it's a socially accepted name for a device that is superior than its original.