What's Your Most Memorable Boss Fight Allies?

• My most memorable boss fight is Yiazmat from Final Fantasy XII. My brother and I (Mostly my brother) spent 12 hours fighting Yiazmat. We didn't look at a guide so we kind of had to brute force him. Because of gambits we didn't have to be actively playing the entire time, so we just left the PS2 on while we did other stuff. About every ten minutes the party would be wiped out, so my brother would go swap in the other three characters and revive the dead. That was a long day.

• One that always comes to mind for some reason is Gohma in Ocarina of Time.. that fight scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. The first time I played it I had to stop and come back to it a few days later :|

• I could really say all of Stretch Panic since that game is just one big boss rush, and all of the fights are unlike anything I've ever seen. But Demonica really stands out. That fight gave me nightmares, it still gives me nightmares. You don't even fight Demonica, you just have to try and keep her out of the room that you're in, since if she sees you, you die. Having to rush around attacking windows and trap doors, trying to track her movements through tiny holes in the wall, all the while looking to see if the image behind the stained glass window is that of a monster or a hanging girl when the lightning strikes, Jesus, its terrifying as a kid and hella creepy as an adult.

But really that whole game is pretty memorable. I don't think I've ever seen another game in which you have to defeat a giant jelly blob with lightning or beat a boss by literally rearranging its face.

• Icon of Sin, Doom II. No question.

Hardcore design and a memorable level, the best boss in the best Doom game. Nothing else really compares.

Best boss in recent memory is High Lord Wolnir from DS3. One of my favourite designs of all time even though the fight itself is very easy.

• Ugh, that Riku fight in Hollow Bastion, where he does all the warping. I was stuck on him for days until I finally quit for months. There is no other fight in which the sting of unskippable cutscenes is more sharply felt. ("DERE'S NU WAY UR TAKIN KAIRIS HEART!")

Came back 3 or 4 months later and beat him on my first try. Sometimes you just gotta take a break, I guess.

• I doubt it's what you were looking for, but the first thing that came to mind for me are the raid bosses from Destiny. I'd primarily played single-player games or multi-player games where you could play by yourself (shooters) until Destiny. It took me a good 6 months before I decided to finally brave the Destiny subreddit and find a group willing to take on someone with no raid experience. The fear I felt the first time I faced Atheon, getting teleported around and being so unsure of what I was supposed to do was intense. I didn't want to be the one to mess up!

On Crota, my most intense memory comes from the first time I decided to be the sword-bearer. Being the one actually dealing the damage while 5 other players watched from a distance... After the first sword I had to set my controller down and mute my mic while I tried to catch my breath. My hands were literally shaking when I finally downed him I was so nervous.

Say what you will about the game, but it allowed me to have some unforgettable experiences.

• The Big Arm boss from Sonic 3. I was 4 or 5 years old when I first tried this fight, and the music ALONE terrified me. I remember my dad trying to help me beat it, but I ultimately figured it out. It was an awesome feeling to nail that precise jump. :)

Love & Respect

Youtube Link to the Boss Fight Right Here

• Can you count the Sister Ships in AC:BC as bosses? Annoyed me to no end

• King K. Rool in Donkey Kong 64. That Chunky punch at the end felt so good.

• Ornstein and Smough from dark souls 1 for sure. I died like 35 times before i beat those buttholes, and i can´t remember ever experiencing that kind of euphoria as when i beat them.

• I'm not going to include any souls game in my pick because all boss battles with those games are on a different level. My most memorable boss battle might have to be shadow of the colossus, just the first one. I know the following bosses are more interesting but that moment when the first boss thing turns round and you realise this huge monster is actually reacting to you and about to attack. Then you start to climb on it and your realise what kind of game you are getting into. Most far boss though is the flying one and honourable mention goes to the one that looks for you in the tunnels then you jump on its back. Man I miss that game :(

• Most recently: Pontiff Sulyvan from Dark Souls 3. Especially his second phase, where I was just repeating: "Stop swinging your goddamn swords already!!"

• admin

@Nillend Oh man, wait for the Nameless King. It's a crazy fight, super hard though.

• @UltimateBrent I've already beaten it, and it was probably the hardest if not the best boss in the game. But with him I knew I would eventually beat him, if I would be patient. But the Pontiff was really frustrating and was most memorable to me, constantly swinging around.

• admin

@Nillend I really liked the pontiff fight. So much so that I decided I would beat him with only parrying and a dagger. I got him to phase two, but couldn't do it from there :) Still pretty fun.

• FFX Lady Yunalesca. My first time I played through, I wasn't power leveled so it took quite a few times. Auron's epic this is your story speech, the 3 stage battle itself, and the story reveal around it all.

• Luca Blight from Suikoden 2
    It takes 3 parties of 6 consisting of your strongerst fighters, an arrow rain and a 1v1 duel with the protag to take him out and he isn't even the final boss. He also beats you up without any magic/rune usage.

The music during this entire thing is also great:
    Youtube Video

Psycho Mantis from Metal Gear Solid
    For the time it was a downright amazingly designed fight. If you had a rumble controller he could make your controller "move with his mind" if you placed it on the floor, he analyzed your savefiles on your memorycard to say stuff like "So you like Castlevania?" and so on. The fact that you could then change to the second controller port to avoid him reading your mind during the fight just topped it all off.
    The buildup to the boss with the mind control music playing in the background just made it even better.

• The most memorable for me is probably the Final Battle between Dante and Vergil in Devil May Cry 3. It was so emotional, and difficult, and unforgiving. I had failed a few times and gathered a small crowd that was my family watching, cheering, and giving advice how to beat him.

When I finally won, I felt like I lost everything. There's very few games that made me feel like that. Vergil is one of my favourite characters and I was hoping beyond hope that there'd be another way.

• Almost any boss that I beat when you are supposed to loose on. Or any boss in Breath of Fire III (my first and favorite JRPG).

• Fighting Kefka in the finale of Final Fantasy VI was an amazing experience that left a permanent impression on me. I loved how much symbolism and how many classical art and literature references were jammed into an epic, four-stage fight with a demented imperialist-turned-god. And the accompanying music (one of my favorite things Uematsu ever worked on, and given that I went to the Distant Worlds concert series three times that's saying something) is what got me to teach myself organ. Enough said.