Stuck on an Island. Which games will you pick?

• Let's say you ended up on an island with access to electricity and no way to contact the outside world aside from playing video games online. You could have every single platform ever released and play all the games, but here is the caveat.

You are allowed only one genre. What game genre would you play for the rest of your life on this island? You will have access to every game of that genre released across all platforms through history.

For me, the easy answer is rpg's. I love myself an engaging rpg either because of the emphasis on story or because of all the menus and managing of party members, skills, etc...once an rpg has its hooks on me, nothing can keep me engaged in the same level.

• Depends, do we count JRPGs seperately or are they inc┬┤luded in RPGs?

• @Musou-Tensei hmmm...I think they're different enough that they could count separately, but I was thinking of just rpg's in general. After all, there is a difference between western horror and Japanese horror games, but I wouldn't separate them myself.

For me, the rpg is all encompassing. You could be more specific if you wanted.

• Definitely rpgs. So much variety in mechanics and atmosphere. Mass Effect trilogy and the fallout games would be my top picks within the genre.

• @David-Restrepo Nah then I go with RPGs in general as well, just to be on the safe side, even though JRPGs already have a ton a varity, but I don't want to miss out on Fallout and Kotor.

• I would have to go with RPGs too. There are so many I love, and so many I could still play for the first time. If put in this situation, I could probably negotiate getting some games that may not seem like RPGs in there too. May as well try. ;)

• This is so tough. I have to say JRPG's just so that I could have stories to entertain myself with. 3D Platformers are a close second.

• JRPG would probably be my answer, if mods are available Grand Strategy would also be a good choice for me.

• RPG is the easy answer. No other genre would give you as much playtime. Not to mention if you include the different variations, then you can have quite the variety from Final Fantasy, to Mass Effect, to Persona and Dark Souls.

A more interesting question is if I had to pick only one game for the rest of my life on this island.

Now that's one I don't know...

• So are we allowed new games that come out digitally while we're on the island? If so, that's an easy answer: Action/Adventure.

That nets me all of the 3D Zelda games (which is honestly all I need), Naughty Dog's works, a bunch of AAAs, all of the open world games I hate, and even some indies. Plus, I could get new Elder Scrolls games if people start getting really snarky about their status as RPGs, and that'd be all of my favorite series except Monster Hunter.

Conversely, if Zelda's equipment systems tip them over into being considered RPGs, then I'd choose RPGs, whether or not that includes JRPGs. (I have a feeling most works that come out of anime culture are going to have shit storytelling for the majority of my life, due primarily to the refusal to treat female characters as actual human beings as opposed to glorified fetish objects. So that's kind of a wash.)

• RPG. Easy answer for me. I love the genre, and 80% of my all time favorite games are RPG's.

• Whatever games makes the best raft.

• @TokyoSlim
    Not an answer ­čśĆ

• @Haru17 yes, you will have access to all future games to be released in that genre

• Global Moderator

Funny how I was actually thinking of a thread like this yesterday! But I was thinking "just 1 GAME". Which for me were FF 9, so that is kinda easy then. RPG games in general are the one genre I could live with! especially since each game are quite long as well haha

• Definitely Action/Adventure games.

This guy knows what he's talking about:

@Haru17 said in Stuck on an Island. Which games will you pick?:

So are we allowed new games that come out digitally while we're on the island? If so, that's an easy answer: Action/Adventure.

That nets me all of the 3D Zelda games (which is honestly all I need), Naughty Dog's works, a bunch of AAAs, all of the open world games I hate, and even some indies. Plus, I could get new Elder Scrolls games if people start getting really snarky about their status as RPGs, and that'd be all of my favorite series except Monster Hunter.

• RPGs no question. There's so much breadth to that genre.

• @TokyoSlim said in Stuck on an Island. Which games will you pick?:

Whatever games makes the best raft.

I very much like this answer.

I think I'm going to have to go with platformers. I play them a lot and always shoot for speed runs and 100% completion.

• My obvious answer is EU4, I could probably play that forever.

My other answer is Journey, The sand would remind me of my location and the inability to talk to the people I meet online would reflect my isolation.

• I think I'd have to go with RPG's also.. one of my favorite genres and there are so many that I haven't played. Also, if new releases wash up on the beach I can still play Cyberpunk and Kingdom Come

A tough choice though as I see Action/Adventure above.. I'd also consider good platformers, multiplayer fps games or rts games