Mod Support for Fallout 4 and Skryim SE on PS4 no longer on the table

• According to Bethesda Sony has decided not to approve the addition of mod support for Fallout 4 and the upcoming Skyrim remaster on the PS4. To quote the source article (https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/ps4-mod-update/2016/09/09/199):

"After months of discussion with Sony, we regret to say that while we have long been ready to offer mod support on PlayStation 4, Sony has informed us they will not approve user mods the way they should work: where users can do anything they want for either Fallout 4 or Skyrim Special Edition.

Like you, we are disappointed by Sony’s decision given the considerable time and effort we have put into this project, and the amount of time our fans have waited for mod support to arrive. We consider this an important initiative and we hope to find other ways user mods can be available for our PlayStation audience. However, until Sony will allow us to offer proper mod support for PS4, that content for Fallout 4 and Skyrim on PlayStation 4 will not be available.

We will provide an update if and when this situation changes."

• A little disappointing, but not too much, mods are Not. Canon. after all. Still excited for Skyrim: Special Edition on PS4, gonna roll an illusionist vampire and murder townsfolk.

• All the time I thought that it's because of some limitation of the PS4 and Bethesda couldn't figure out how to get the mods working. But maybe Sony had some viable reasons for saying no.

• I'm assuming that this is partially because Xbo One's have been getting bricked by mods.

That said modding for these kind of Bethesda games usually turns into a mess on PC, so I don't see how it would work well on console.

• @suplextrain Wow! I didn't even know that was happening.

No way in hell would I let mods on the console with that around.

• @suplextrain it actually has more to do with Sony requiring certain types of audio files and they have a strict limit on mod sizes along with some other things like wanting Bethesda to QA all mods, which is absolutely absurd to request.

I haven't heard anything about mods bricking Xbox Ones. Mods have actually been really popular and very wel received on Xbox One. It's a shame that PS4 owners won't get to use them.

• @TheOhrenberger said in Mod Support for Fallout 4 and Skryim SE on PS4 no longer on the table:

@suplextrain it actually has more to do with Sony requiring certain types of audio files and they have a strict limit on mod sizes along with some other things like wanting Bethesda to QA all mods, which is absolutely absurd to request.

I don't think we have any details on why Playstation didn't agree to the modding, but it probably has to do with safety.

I haven't heard anything about mods bricking Xbox Ones. Mods have actually been really popular and very wel received on Xbox One. It's a shame that PS4 owners won't get to use them.

Well that's what I have heard. In any case I wouldn't greenlit modding if that was an issue and I understand why you might not want to allow modding on console for numerous reasons, but at the end we don't know.
    I'm sure some people were looking forward to it, but really if you want modding then you should play on PC, because modding will never be a big thing on console.

• It's not a huge deal, but it does kill my desire to play the remaster. I'm still getting the game, purely because it's my BF's fave game, but I was only going to play it through again if there was something new to try, which in this case were the mods.
    I don't care too much about mods, but the option was a nice one. My dream of playing Skyrim with Macho man dragons shall never be realized... 😢

• The only mention I can seem to find online of mods bricking the Xbox One seem to be people in forums talking about the possibilities and a few videos that seem to say maybe possibly it could happen potentially, but it hasn't. It's a bit of a bummer Sony won't be implementing it because I've always played Bethesda games on console and never gotten to try any of the mods. That being said, I'll still pick up the Skyrim remaster because it's Skyrim. No mods needed to enjoy that game.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in Mod Support for Fallout 4 and Skryim SE on PS4 no longer on the table:

bit of a bummer Sony won't be implementing it because I've always played Bethesda games on console and never gotten to try any of the mods. That being said, I'll still pick up the Skyrim remaster because it's Skyrim. No mods needed to enjoy that game.

To be honest you're not missing much, most mods are throwaway stuff. Also to it's a pain in the ass to get several of the more worthwhile mods to work together on PC so I can't even imagine how annoying it must be on X1 (or how it would be on PS4).
    There are only a few times I ever felt modding in Bethesda games were borderline necessary, like that vampirism shit in Oblivion. So don't sweat it.

• I would never play a Bethesda game without mod support. Then again I play Bethesda games on PC, so it's not an issue for me. Sucks for people playing on PS4 though. You guys are missing out.

• Global Moderator

This is a bit of a bummer! I played skyrim on PS3 and had like 400+ hours logged into it, now I had hoped to play it again when it comes out on PS4 where it would look better and I was excited to try mods for it.. Well I guess now its back to just explore this vast world again.

• Update on this: https://www.destructoid.com/skyrim-and-fallout-4-will-get-mods-on-ps4-but-there-s-a-catch-391343.phtml

So mods are coming after all, just in a limited fashion. Rejoice?

• As long as I can get mods that allow me to start the game without having to go through the opening nonsense of skyrim(don't want to be dragonborne) and fallout(don't want to be married) I might give these game another shot, all of the mods I truly care about are non cosmetic so the lack of outside source doesn't really faze me.

• Yeah, crazy how that happened, right? It's almost like Bethesda released that statement to get Sony to pay attention and everyone shouldn't have rushed to judgement or something.

[flatly stares at camera]

Anyway, I'm hyped. Outside graphics usually break immersion (groan) anyway. I just want fixes to magic damage scaling, different kinds of spells — stuff like that. I wonder if they could get the playable falmer race to work without new textures because of the eh-hum eh-heh-hurmn hum and whatnot.

• Banned

Not a huge loss. Let's be honest here. People that want to mod Bethesda games are going to do it on PC, not on consoles.

• @Art The headline isn't the story ATM.

• Honestly, I just want unofficial patches and little fixes like the mod that makes enemies spawn OUTSIDE of all your settlements instead of inside them. If those kinds of things work... I'm set. I don't need an AK-47 or a master chief skin in my RPGs. I completely understand the appeal of that kind of stuff for people that want it, but I can live without it. Hopefully this is just the first step though and Sony will open up more down the line and allow the same kind of support that Mircosoft has.

• Global Moderator

Well thats something I guess! but no more weird naked mods and driving around in skyrim :( but mass skeleton fights here I come! :D

• yuck... if what I have been reading about this is correct you cant even do custom scripts and with my limited understanding of modding this basically means no mods, this just seems like a BS way to sell more copy's of skyrim on the eve of it's release by "technically" saying we have mod support.