Kill Your Babies! The Publication Cup (Part 3) READ. THE. RULES!!!!

• Well everyone, here it is. The ULTIMATE (in terms of numbers) Kill Your Babies! 200. TWO. HUNDRED. Games. This list is Game Informer’s top 200 games, published in November 2009 to celebrate their 200th issue, so anything released post January 1, 2010 will not be represented. For instance, NO: Skyrim, The Last of Us, Gears of War 3, Uncharted 3 and 4, Mass Effect 2 or 3, Batman: Arkham City, Call of Duty post-Black Ops, etc. This is list is in THEIR order and yes, there are games from the past lists AGAIN, but that goes to show the high regard those games have.

This is going to be a bloodbath. HOW, you may ask, can this work? Here are the rules for the fastest and highest quality play possible.

Rule #1: When you make a kill, when you give your reason why you are killing, you MUST pick ANOTHER game on this list, and explain why WHAT you’re killing isn’t as good as the one you are “saving”. Those with evil in their heart will pounce on what people are saving, so revenge killing, while I’m no fan, will probably run rampant.

Rule #2: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE should you keep the updated list BECAUSE the list is so long. SO: When you are providing your kill, PLEASE BOLD IT and subsequent killers MUST keep those killed updated. For example: 1st kill – The Legend of Zelda. Why they’re killing it (With another game being more deserving) The Legend of Zelda. 2nd kill – Super Mario Bros. (Same methodology) The Legend of Zelda (Next line) Super Mario Bros. And so on, and so forth. Once a bolded list reaches 25, I, or the 25th killer, will go to the original list and subtract those that have died and provide the updated list. This will continue until 100 entries remain. Then we will return to the normal procedure of providing an updated list for players that we all know and love.

Rule #3: You may kill another game after only ONE OTHER person has made a kill OR if 6 hours have passed. So there will most likely be instances where are a small number of you may wield tremendous power, but I urge you, please consider your fellow Allies. THIS IS NOT A RULE, ONLY A SUGGESTION: If you have made 10 kills in the span of 6 hours, try to take a break to see if other players can get involved and make their voices heard.

Rule #4: IF and only IF there is a breach of ANY rule, for ANY reason, your kill will become invalid and be returned to the list. No exceptions. A second breach will result in a time penalty where if you try to kill, it will not be recognized. I’m thinking 3 hours.

Rule #5: Per normal, we will have a straw poll for the final two, but because of the nature of reason giving I’m instituting, when we get to that point, PLEASE say what you are voting for and the reason why it should be victorious. PLEASE DO NOT DISPARAGE THE OTHER OPTION, whatever it may be. I want to know what game should stand the endurance that is the ruthless Kill Your Babies!, and doing so I feel should have a little something special beyond anonymity.

Let me know if you have any questions. Your kills are your own, so please, be vicious, be remorseless, and most importantly: HAVE FUN!!!

The Legend of Zelda
    Super Mario Bros.
    Tetris
    Grand Theft Auto III
    Half-Life 2
    DOOM
    Metroid
    Final Fantasy VI
    Super Mario Bros. 3
    Ms. Pac-man
    World of Warcraft
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Super Mario 64
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    Final Fantasy VII
    Mike Tyson’s Punch Out!
    Chrono Trigger
    Resident Evil 4
    Metal Gear Solid
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Super Metroid
    Contra
    Galaga
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Street Fighter II
    God of War
    Bioshock
    Diablo II
    Half-Life
    The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    Tecmo Super Bowl
    GoldenEye 007
    Super Mario Kart
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Starcraft
    Civilization
    SimCity
    Mega Man 2
    Halo: Combat Evolved
    Gran Turismo
    Resident Evil 2
    Pokemon Red/Blue
    Final Fantasy X
    EverQuest
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Grand Theft Auto IV
    Super Mario World
    Deus Ex
    Guitar Hero
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Pac-Man
    Battlefield 2
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    Ico
    Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
    Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2
    Mass Effect
    Adventure
    Arkanoid
    The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
    Star Wars: X-Wing
    The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
    Fallout 3
    Zork
    Soul Calibur
    Double Dragon
    Dr. Mario
    The Sims
    Age of Empires
    Mortal Kombat II
    Rock Band 2
    Tomb Raider (1996)
    Super Bomberman
    Mario’s Picross
    Ninja Gaiden
    Command & Conquer
    Kingdom Hearts
    Final Fantasy IV
    Super Mario Bros. 2
    Left 4 Dead
    Okami
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Metroid Prime
    Super Smash Bros. Melee
    Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness
    Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn
    God of War II
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
    Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
    Skies of Arcadia
    The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
    Silent Hill 2
    Counter-Strike
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
    Portal
    The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowwind
    Heroes of Might and Magic III
    Donkey Kong
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    System Shock 2
    Resident Evil
    Gears of War
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
    Crash Bandicoot: Warped
    Halo 2
    Tetris Attack
    Final Fantasy XII
    Earthbound
    Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri
    Command & Conquer: Red Alert
    Advance Wars
    Fallout
    Team Fortress 2
    Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
    Mega Man X
    Lemmings
    Panzer Dragoon Saga
    NHL ‘94
    Warlords
    Shadowrun
    Twisted Metal 2
    Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
    Metroid Fusion
    Homeworld
    Kingdom Hearts II
    Pilotwings
    Quake II
    Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
    Borderlands
    Final Fight
    Star Fox
    Madden NFL ‘99
    Call of Duty 2
    Wolfenstein 3D
    Diablo
    Civilization IV
    Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle
    Assassin’s Creed
    Burnout 3: Takedown
    Unreal Tournament 2004
    Power Stone 2
    Super Castlevania IV
    Super Mario RPG
    Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos
    ActRaiser
    Fable
    Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht
    Asteroids
    LittleBigPlanet
    Crackdown
    Gauntlet
    Devil May Cry
    Pong
    Battlefield 1942
    Thief
    Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
    Far Cry
    Robotron: 2084
    X-COM: UFO Defense
    Peggle
    King’s Quest VI
    DOOM II
    Tempest 2000
    Braid
    Ridge Racer
    Bully
    Ikaruga
    Lode Runner
    Gunstar Heroes
    Dig Dug
    Castlevania
    Tekken 3
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
    NBA Jam Tournament Edition
    Max Payne
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
    Samurai Showdown
    NFL 2K5
    Vagrant Story
    Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island
    Marble Madness
    Infamous
    Planescape: Torment
    Kid Icarus
    The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
    Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem
    Jak 3
    Marvel vs. Capcom 2
    Ultima
    Call of Duty
    NHL ‘09
    Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
    Tactics Ogre
    Beyond Good & Evil

• Earthbound

I'm taking this out right from the start. I don't like it and, to be honest, it's one of only a few JRPG's where I flat out didn't want to see through to its conclusion. Shame really, because I own the original cart and paid quite a bit for it too. I could pick a number of Jrpg's from the list to back up my choice for its removal, but lets just go for the obvious Final Fantasy VII. Yes it's a tad overrated, but its still a blinder of a game. Mother 2 in comparison falls way short, both with its characters and it's overall plot.

• Damn son you really couldn't find a game on here you like less that won't break peoples' hearts? lol I'm gonna go with Pilot Wings. Fun game especially with a friend but the controls are pretty fucky and the game basically started as a mode 7 tech demo. Very shallow mechanics and there just really isn't much to it. I haven't seen anything else on here that is very comparable please let me know if you see one but almost any game on here is more deep of a game than this one.

Pilot Wings

Unrelated comments: Also please don't revenge kill Chrono Trigger :( That's my favorite game of all time and literally every aspect of the game surpasses what we thought the SNES could even do. and THAT MUSIC! Look up "Chrono Jigga" on youtube. It's a Jay Z Chrono Trigger remix album and it's god damn amazing and really shows how fundamentally amazing that sound track really is. I could go on forever though, what is it 9 endings? First game I know that had a solid NG+ and did an amazing job at it, Game was insanely ahead of its time!

• @mattlandry

Having killed Trigger twice now in separate games, I said to myself I would leave it alone this time :)

To answer your question though, not really. Knocking off sports games I guess, but that's just killing for the sake of it, and I don't like killing games I've never played or heard of either, doesn't seem right.

• Just as a quick clarification, the bolded games are for the purposes of making sure there are not double kills. So, that is the list that must be kept for future players.

Earthbound
    Pilot Wings

The next kill must add their's so it will be 3 for the next player, and so on, until 25 kills have been made. Then those 25 kills will be struck from the master list and provided with an updated version. Hope this clears things up!

(And I love the reasons given so far!)

• @Sheria Ah I see. The stakes of having your baby killed and having people do shit like that is what makes the game intense anyway so I'm not hatin :P

@Brannox Sorry I misunderstood!

• @mattlandry Its all good! I spent some time trying to craft the rules as concisely as possible. This will be the only time the list will be astronomical, and I tried to figure out a way where people won't get lost as to what's been killed and when everyone has the option to kill.

• It's actually quite a nice list, some great games there, even Zork which I personally love. I forsee a lot being knocked off though simply due to some people believing them to be too old and no longer holding up.

• @Sheria Well per the rules, you make another kill because there was another player after you. But if not, that is your decision.

• I wont be greedy :)

• Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

All GTA games imo are incredibly boring and dull. this one is no difference so im killing it.

• Oh come on! 200 games and Vice City bites the dust THIRD? So wrong, but that's the spirit here.
    Edit. Rule #1, though?

• Killing: Astroids
    The legacy of a game does not excuse the quality when looking back at it. Astroids might've been fun in the good ol' days, but it won't keep your interest for long these days.

Why Street Fighter II is a better competitor:
    It's a game you can still have loads of fun with. Good sprites are basically timeless and the controls are tight. And you can fistfight your friends! Which is better than shooting some astroids. Alone. In black and white vector graphics.

And I'm obviously not save my number one contender in the beginning of this game, that would be silly and way too risky!

EDIT:
    Kill list
    Earthbound
    Pilot Wings
    Asteroids

• lol it's always so sad when your favorite games go too early.

@Sheria Yeah when I made my pick there was a lot I felt no longer held up but I put in some more effort and actually found one I didn't really enjoy even in the beginning but you're right. Not holding up with probably be a big factor in others's decisions.

For this Next one I'm going Kid Icarus. Game was cool for the time and has some cool things about it but the pacing and difficulty spikes are a bit much and the environments were pretty unimaginative IMO

Final Fantasy 7 is going to by the next one. So much nostalgia for this game. First game that made me feel and get sad when a character I loved died, cinematics were amazing, battles were quick and fun, materia system amazing, I could go on forever really. tied with Witcher 3 and Chrono Trigger for my favourite games of all time even though I can say that FF7 isn't the BEST game of all time technically it just has that magic. I always got stuck on sephiroth in the end and I finally beat him 15 years after I played the game for the first time and it was a watershed moment in my life. That game holds such a special place in my heart. I feel bad for people who got into it too late and felt like it didn't hold up. Sorry that was so long this is just a big part of my life here lol

Earthbound
    Pilot Wings
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    Astroids
    Kid Icarus

EDIT: @Fridge-man good pick!

• In order of posts:

@Black-Cell I'm invalidating your kill. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is still alive because you did not follow Rule #1. The 2nd half of this title is what it is because it institutes fairness for all. And as Rule 4 demonstrates, if there is a violation, it WILL be retroactively returned. Please read carefully the rules, and if you have any issue, please let me know!

@Fridge-man This is EXACTLY what I was hoping for: You gave a kill, you gave a reason, and you gave a game that should be around longer than your kill. Thank you for that! The only thing missing from your post is keeping the updated kill list.

@mattlandry You forgot to give a game about why it should last other than your kill. This is for EVERY time you kill. If you want to give the same game you gave before you can, but the rule was designed to explain why games on this list DESERVE to be here.

The correct and updated kill list is as follows:

Earthbound
    Pilot Wings
    Asteroids
    Kid Icarus

If there is any problem or STILL something unclear, make it known! I'm trying to give an equal playing field, while changing up the play and providing a consistent format for all.

• @Brannox sorry! I'll edit the post now!

• @mattlandry Thanks for the edit! You made a great choice and don't sweat the length. As long as its there, whether its a sentence or a paragraph, what I care about is that it's there.

• Earthbound
    Pilot Wings
    Asteroids
    Kid Icarus
    NHL '94

While there is a certain magic in these older NHL's (I remember playing '98 with my brother a lot), there is NHL '09 on this list as well, and it is simply better. So much more of everything in it.

• Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

I'm taking this out next. Though it seemed to make a big splash at the time, I feel this game had a rather negative effect on the genre as a whole from then on. I don't like the overly cinematic presentation it bought with it, I'm not keen on the control scheme/button mapping that just about everyone stuck with from then on and I also dislike the multiplayer which seemed to form some kind of template that many other games then copied.

Quake II, DOOM and Half-Life are all on the list, I need say no more really. Half-Life was a positive breath of fresh air for the genre in 98 and Quake and Doom are just pure, kick-ass fun. FPShooting at its finest.

Earthbound
    Pilot Wings
    Asteroids
    Kid Icarus
    NHL '94
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

• @Brannox said in Kill Your Babies! The Publication Cup (Part 3) READ. THE. RULES!!!!:

In order of posts:

@Black-Cell I'm invalidating your kill. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is still alive because you did not follow Rule #1. The 2nd half of this title is what it is because it institutes fairness for all. And as Rule 4 demonstrates, if there is a violation, it WILL be retroactively returned. Please read carefully the rules, and if you have any issue, please let me know!

@Fridge-man This is EXACTLY what I was hoping for: You gave a kill, you gave a reason, and you gave a game that should be around longer than your kill. Thank you for that! The only thing missing from your post is keeping the updated kill list.

@mattlandry You forgot to give a game about why it should last other than your kill. This is for EVERY time you kill. If you want to give the same game you gave before you can, but the rule was designed to explain why games on this list DESERVE to be here.

The correct and updated kill list is as follows:

Earthbound
    Pilot Wings
    Asteroids
    Kid Icarus

If there is any problem or STILL something unclear, make it known! I'm trying to give an equal playing field, while changing up the play and providing a consistent format for all.

ok. my reason is game has terrible shooting, cartoony graphics at that time. looks even worse than Mafia 1 which released before, and missions get boring very fast.