Best Video Game Ending Songs (Spoilers)
michemagius last edited by
I just beat Me and My Katamari and was treated to some good old fashioned gospel music played over an 8-bit mini game. It got me to thinking about the best Video Game ending songs. What are your favorites?
Katamari of course comes to mind. I'm really fond of MaMK as well as the original KD.
Persona endings always make me cry.
This is actually something which doesnt get spoken about enough!
One of my favourites, which really got me to sit back, take some deep breaths and think "that was a really epic adventure!" were when I finished Mass Effect for the first time. Somehow its so fitting and sums it up in a nice way
I also suspect that someone are going to mention Portal haha
Sheria last edited by
These five are probably my all time favourites, amazing how every game in the series always seemed to hit the right spot when it came to its vocal ballads and ending songs.
Sentinel Beach last edited by Sentinel Beach
These two came immediately into my mind. Unforgettable.
Oh, and Tales From the Borderlands! My God, I loved all of it so much. The ending song finished it nicely.
I agree about The Last of Us and Mass Effect as each had emotional weight with me upon completing them, but I also really enjoy Gears of War 2's "Hope Runs Deep" as that is the only song that has played during an end credit sequence that has made me want to keep playing the game.
Also shout out to Kingdom Hearts' "Simple and Clean" (Long version) as I felt a simultaneous sense of finality and eagerness for the next great adventure.
PrinceofTheUniverse last edited by
I'll have to go with 2 games made by the same company. Bastion and Transistor
They interlace the lyrics and speed up the tempo and it's beautiful.
Transistors end theme is the two made characters singing to each other. Also just a lovely track
descendfromgrace last edited by
Surprised I didn't see this yet. I was damn near weeping during the end scenes.
justin last edited by
'Can't Say Goodbye to Yesterday' may be my number one pick.
And, 'You Were There' from Ico has to be mentioned.
Haru17 last edited by Haru17
Look, I know y'all like other games and stuff... but how has no one posted this yet?
Linky last edited by
This song was a fitting end to what was a full blown adventure, when I was a child Ocarina of Time took many months to beat. The song was just relaxing to listening to and you really felt like you saved the world.
I'm just a big sucker for big band music, especially when its Nintendo.
This one still gives me chills
I love the direction they went for Mario Kart 8's music.
And here is a few others I liked as well.
HOW. Could I forget. DOOM. And. Portal?!?!
justin last edited by
There's a lot of ending-credits music posted here. I was thinking the spirit of the thread was more about songs used in the actual ending of the game itself. 'Still Alive' from Portal is perfect though, it's a bit of an exception because it's basically the story continuing while the credits role.
Haru17 last edited by
@justin Twilight Princess has a mid-credits scene. Best of both worlds! =P
Churchy last edited by
- Tekken 2 - I always love 2 the most for its more spiritual atmosphere and this ending song epitomises it. The powerful yet calming female voice just stops my heart every single time, then you have the instrumentation build up to a crescendo, only for it leave again in a quiet moment of reflection. Genius.
- Batman: Arkham City - that music is just chilling, and then after that bit with the song, it has this haunting ambient whistle. It's a piece of music I'll always remember.
- Sonic Adventure (Super Sonic ending) - I just love the badass nature of Crush 40's soundtrack, and to me it is the culmination of the way Sonic handles everything with a cocky attitude. Plus it's catchy as fuck!
- Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - After what is a seriously affecting ending this song kicks in. This one feels the most sorrowful of all the end credits music in Silent Hill. Mary Elizabeth McGlynn always brings a powerful sadness to her vocals and its in full force here alongside Akira Yamaoka's composition. The way it ties in with the story of the game is fantastic and hits home the fact that the worst horror is inside your own mind. A silent hell where no one can help you.
- Super Mario 64 - Not only is it still my favourite Mario game, but this music wraps up everything you've done, creating that sense of a job well done, of looking back (aided by the shots of all the levels in the credits). It only becomes more nostalgic with every listen.
Lex last edited by
Why no one mention Journey yet?>!
DizBomber last edited by DizBomber
I don't know how to embed vids...
Paper Lion last edited by Paper Lion
First of all, thank you @Linky and @DizBomber803 I was beginning to lose faith in humanity when none of the first posters were saying Still Alive.
I considered a video with the actual ending, but then I thought maybe that's spoilers. Then I thought, can you even call the ending of Crisis Core spoilers for the game? Really, aren't they Final Fantasy VII spoilers? Since if you've played that game, you already know what's going to happen.
And last but not least, this:
@Paper-Lion Yes. Yes to this. Yes to ALL of this. (Wow, there are a lot of great ending songs I like).
KiloAlphaTaco last edited by
@PrinceofTheUniverse AMG! Dude, both of these songs give me the feels and made me love both of these games even more.
Since you already took what I was going to put I'll put down another good one!
Geo Can last edited by
One that made me sad was Chrono Cross ending theme, Radical Dreamers. Just the flow and atmosphere of the game, completely nailed an ending theme to a game that is just an emotional roller coaster towards the end.link text