Ben's Bizzare TGS Adventure!

• its a shame no one could have got a yu suzuki meeting and sent huber along

• Global Moderator

Im just super excited for him going to Japan! I squealed in joy last night when I watched the announcement! Ben are such a cool guy and deserves it! I will follow the videos that ought to come from this!

Also a huge thank you to each and everyone of YOU pattern guys! without you this would not have happened! Love & Respect :heart:

• @Nillend said in Ben's Bizzare TGS Adventure!:

just for the saké of it.

• @Axel Oh, I see what you did there ;)

• Global Moderator

What are you guys most excited about this trip?

I really cant wait for the Bunny Farm... cant be other than amazing! Imagine Ben lying down in a field of bunnies! KAWAII!

• @Lotias said in Ben's Bizzare TGS Adventure!:

What are you guys most excited about this trip?

I really cant wait for the Bunny Farm... cant be other than amazing! Imagine Ben lying down in a field of bunnies! KAWAII!

I went to a fox village once, and I tried to get to the monkey hot springs, but I missed the bus. :(

A friend of mine just went to an owl cafe in Akihabara. I'm not really an "animal cafe" kind of guy, but if anyone wanted to go, here's a decent list:
    http://whereintokyo.com/dbinx/animalcafe.html

• A few Allies have already mentioned the Tsukiji Fish Market, so I would only reiterate how amazing it is. If you like sushi, please do yourself a massive favor and try some from the locales in the vicinity, chirashizushi especially. My personal pick for Ben would be the Golden Gai area in Shinjuku and the small bars that populate it. They are tiny, unique, and a must see for anyone visiting Tokyo in my opinion. An onsen visit or having a proper kaiseki meal are also top of the list. Eating some bento and okashi from Lawson's or a similar convenience store is also good fun and delicious too. That's besides all the gaming, anime, and other related activities you can go on. Have a great time and can't wait to see your footage. Itterasshai!

• Nobody's brought up safety yet, so I guess I'll be the buzzkill.
    Japan is generally a super safe country, much moreso than the US. That said, there are still a few things to be on the lookout for. Here are 3 off the top of my head:

1. Common sense (especially if you're a seasoned traveller), but petty theft and pickpocketing does happen, especially in the more touristy areas. Always be aware of your belongings, especially when you're in a crowd.

2. Also probably common sense, but don't follow a guy into a bar under the promise of free drinks. Recently, especially in Gaijin heavy areas like Roppongi and Shibuya, people have been targeting foreigners and offering them free drinks. When they bring them to the bar, they get them to have like one drink and then try to force them to pay upwards of 100 USD when you try to leave. Again, it likely won't happen to you, but just be aware of what's going on. Just in general, if a bar or someplace like that doesn't have prices listed, they could screw you over.

3. This is going to sound ridiculous, I know, but if you see a Japanese guy with visible tatoos and they're NOT cosplaying as the dragon of dojima, please fight the urge to stare or take pictures. Tatoos are still very strongly associated with the Yakuza here, so much so that many public places like parks and pools won't allow you in unless you cover them up. Best not to draw attention to the guy!

All that aside, you really shouldn't have to worry much. These are all super rare potential circumstances that I thought people should be aware of. Bottom line: just be smart, and enjoy being in one of the safest countries on Earth!

• @TokyoSlim I always find the comments that Kabukicho is a dangerous place to be inaccurate. Kabukicho is a super touristy place now. The biggest movie theater in Japan is located in Kabukicho (just opened late last year, and I believe it's the only theater in Japan that has IMAX screens that show commercial movies). I think there are only like one or two brothels left there, which is probably less than most other districts in Tokyo (the way brothels are in Japan, they're just spread out evenly throughout Tokyo, I've even seen brothels located next to a Denny's, etc.) It's basically a "fake red light district" at this point.

• @TokyoSlim I would DEFINITELY still recommend getting a Suica, even if it was just a one day trip. ESPECIALLY if you're gonna be going to some place crowded like TGS, since the lines for tickets are going to be super long. You can get nearly all your money back when you return your Suica at the end of the trip anyways.

• @kagamiwaseda I had to punch a very aggressive "Jamaican" club tout in the face in Kabukicho a few years ago. I have heard of people getting railroaded by drink scams and such in the area. It's not a particularly dangerous neighborhood, it's just that it's about as sketch as it gets in Tokyo. Especially at night.

And honestly, I've never found Suica to be worth it for short trips of a day or two, if I'm taking the train a lot one day, I'll just get a day pass. If not, it costs the equivalent of like three or four train tickets just for the card you're using for like six train rides which you still have to pay for. Personal preference, I guess. YMMV.

Then again, when I last went to TGS, I didn't think it was that crowded. Maybe it's different now.

• @TokyoSlim I had a friend who had a run-in with a pair of Nigerian touts in Roppongi. They strangled him in an elevator and stole his passport. Luckily he met a traveling, British cigarette salesman who helped him track them down and broke the Nigerian's fingers.

• Mine was also probably Nigerian, pretending to be Jamaican. That's why I put it in quotes.

If you see one with an eyepatch, that's my guy. His left eye. :)

• Not trying to scare anyone off, just saying some people see tourists as easy to rip off. That's about as bad as it gets. I think actual red light districts are much less sketchy.