Delayed games that were great?

• OK Allies I'm looking for some information.

Can anyone recall some delayed titles that turned out really well? In recent years delays have become common, and this has elicited some conversation among my gaming buddies that developers just don't have the resources they want in a market where titles cost $60.

These days delays just seem to mean "we didn't have the money or time to do what we wanted so we are making changes and sacrifices" even thought the public statement is "we are trying to make the game better".

Although it may not seem like it I'm being positive here. I would rather game developers get comfortable charging more to make the games they want to make. Like it or not, I know when I pay $100+ for Call of Duty, I'm getting a product that wasn't constrained and will ship polished and complete.

So, back to the point. Can anyone think of a delayed game that really was fantastic when it was finally released?

• Well, off the top of my head, pretty much every Zelda game ever.

• Global Moderator

I still think Halo 2 are an absolutely amazing game, despite them cutting content and making a huge cliffhanger, it had amazing multiplayer and I am not sure how many times Ive played through the campaign.. but its plenty of times

• There are tons but the most relevant example would be Shadow of the Colossus considering you most likely thought of this with the delay of Last Guardian.

• Global Moderator

Realistically nearly every great game has had a delay.

Uncharted 4, The Last of Us, Witcher 3 are a few that I can think of recently. Pretty much every Metal Gear Solid game.

• pretty much all of them were great. It's more the few that weren't delayed enough that suck. I mean Duke Nukem, Aliens Colonial Marines, No Man's Sky, etc are more the exception tbh

• I honestly think delays are more prevalent this generation due to the coined term "Hype culture".

There was a time in video games that you would read only a few articles with a few screenshots of a game before it was ever released. You also didn't hear of a game 3 years prior to its initial release date.

However, today we live in a world where news sites need to have daily news to keep the views up, publishers jumping the gun in releasing info to get you excited as soon as possible, and then releasing a ridiculous amount of information throughout that time. FFXV gets a F^*!ing trailer every week.

I'm not entirely sure on the process of the 90's vs now but I feel like devs used to be more careful before announcing release dates. I'm assuming delays always happened, you just didn't know about it.

@kariwgoebel I get what your saying and I would kind of agree if all games were $60 around the world, but I would never pay 100 usd for a game. That would be 130 cad. And I'm sure others around the world would have it worse. I already have to pay 80 dollars for a game. But this is totally biased of course lol.

But I agree with above posts. I don't think all delayed games are bad. Most of them seem to come out and do well. But when they don't they get a lot of attention.

• Perfect Dark

• Its hard for me to say because it feels like every game I'm interested in and wind up playing is delayed. For 2016 specifically, Uncharted 4 and Ratchet and Clank were games that turned out fantastic, but there are many others I can't think of right now (or didn't know were delayed).

• Uncharted 4 got the overhaul allegedly and my goodness is it ever a great game. Best in the series in my opinion.

ALSO

This is Bioshock in 2004 (development began in 2002 apparently)
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text

• @Axel said in Delayed games that were great?:

Well, off the top of my head, pretty much every Zelda game ever.

Right? Haha. Twilight Princess was originally dated for '05, but was excellent and super hype as a Wii launch title.

Man, imagine how crazy Skyrim would have gotten if it had been delayed. "Mimics a baby crying as a lure!?" Like, what?!?

alt text

• @CGamor7 I'm in Canada too, and the price does get pretty high. That's more of a currency value issue than a product value issue. And in reality I already spend more the $80 for many games. Destiny I'm into for at least $200 now. Dark Souls 3 was $105 with the season pass and so on and so on.

Thanks for all the feedback folks. There are clearly some scenarios where the delays are genuinely positive.

I'm pulling for you Final Fantasy XV...

• MGS4 and FF 13 were fantastic games. Consider that game developers are extremely strained with time. In order to produce a game in two years time. That's a lot of overtime, late nights. Missed family time and what not. Which is why Bungie goes with the 3 year cycle, although they can afford to do so.

And to keep interest, there needs to be a consistent flow of information overtime after the announcement. Especially for titles that are not established big name IP's. As the market for consumers money can be competitive. Waiting say two months before the game ships, can prove disastrous for sales. And virtually impossible to do for public companies that have investors, who need to know where their money is going.

• The first Gears was supposed to be a launch window title, but I think it came out about a year after the 360.

• @CGamor7 said in Delayed games that were great?:

I honestly think delays are more prevalent this generation due to the coined term "Hype culture".

There was a time in video games that you would read only a few articles with a few screenshots of a game before it was ever released. You also didn't hear of a game 3 years prior to its initial release date.

However, today we live in a world where news sites need to have daily news to keep the views up, publishers jumping the gun in releasing info to get you excited as soon as possible, and then releasing a ridiculous amount of information throughout that time. FFXV gets a F^*!ing trailer every week.

I'm not entirely sure on the process of the 90's vs now but I feel like devs used to be more careful before announcing release dates. I'm assuming delays always happened, you just didn't know about it.

@kariwgoebel I get what your saying and I would kind of agree if all games were $60 around the world, but I would never pay 100 usd for a game. That would be 130 cad. And I'm sure others around the world would have it worse. I already have to pay 80 dollars for a game. But this is totally biased of course lol.

But I agree with above posts. I don't think all delayed games are bad. Most of them seem to come out and do well. But when they don't they get a lot of attention.

I don´t even think its about real delay.. it has to do with a bunch.. including:

showing investors the company is aiming for a release in a certain fiscal year window. (even if its unrealistic)
    Build hype/scout the public interest. if people are hyped things keep moving.. if not.. a project might be cancelled.
    Capitalize on pre-orders (I believe that is specially true when a big game like FFXV didn´t reach a particular aimed number of pre-orders yet.)
    And of course developing is hell so all kinds of crap might happen to actually disrupt development and delay a game.

• Off the top of my head, South Park: The Stick of Truth. That game was delayed quite a few times but was pure awesome when it finally released.