I'm going to Japan!

• Easy Ally

Hey everyone. Ben here. I'm going to Japan (Sep 13-20) and I wanted to see if any of you could meet up. Let me know if you're in the country and we'll work something out. Also, I wanted this thread to serve as a travelogue of sorts. I'll try as best as possible to update with pictures/thoughts/etc. If any of you have gone to Japan and have recommendations/advice, this is the place to put it! I love all of you and can't wait to share my adventures.

• What part of Japan are you going to be visiting? I was there earlier this year and spent my time in Kyoto and Tokyo.

• You have to try Japanese curry. It's amazing! Also, dango and anpan. Also onigiri.....In other words, eat lots of different foods. Oh and kitsune udon!

• @ItsTheNew I believe he's going for TGS, so Tokyo.

• Oh okay. I'd say Tokyo tower is a good place to visit. Fairly cheap, and you can get a great view. Japanese curry is delicious at just about all the places I visited. If you have time, visit the robot restaurant in Shinjuku. It's a little pricey and the food isn't great, but damn, if you want spectacle it's a must.

• @BenMoore there's some ideas and tips etc. in the thread I started for this the other day, maybe have mods merge my thread into here so its official?

Have fun man!

• @BenMoore Report back on the panty vending machine situation for each district you visit

• This is going to sound weird, but the cemeteries around Tokyo tower are really unique and kind of a cool (but morbid) sight. Set aside a day or two for Akihabara. There's a TON of multistory shops filled with figures, games, art books, etc. trader has some good prices, mandrake has a little of everything.

• It's a long plane ride, and you'll probably get there at night, which means your body is going to be super confused when you get there. I'd honestly sleep for like 5 hours right at the beginning of the flight, and then stay up, watch movies/read/etc the last 6ish hours of the flight. Just so you aren't completely wired when you get into tokyo.

also, Narita is like an hour or so from Tokyo by train, and there's quite a few different options to take from Narita. I usually take the Skyliner, but there's a pretty good resource to break it all down here:

• I lived in Japan for a few years as a Young Teenager, and here's some places I think are pretty dang neat!;

• Yunessun - probably the disney world of bathhouses? The part I went to was the Fully Clothed Child Safe Unisex area, and there were super cool pools of like, supposedly green tea, super duper salty water that you basically had to float in, cool cavey areas that were supposedly natural, some super rad greek aesthetic stuff going on? It was pretty much a blast. Not sure how far away it would be from Tokyo (I'm assuming that's where you'll be) but I lived near tokyo and it wasn't... too far I don't think? Who knows, though. Not sure if you'll have time, but it's worth looking into if you can!!!

• Pepper Lunch - some of my favorite food to this day and I Cry because i'll probably never be able to have it again. Pretty cheap. You order from a machine and get a ticket and then hand it to the people and then they give you food, and It's the Best Food Ever.

• Coco Ichibanya - a chain curry house that's pretty stellar/not too expensive from what I remember.

• Akihabara - ppprobably already in your plans, but god, this city was ridiculous and wonderful and I, as a relatively sheltered 12 year old girl, was quite shaken by some like, completely uncensored nudity kind of stuff on huge billboard sort of deals. also 8 story electronics stores.

• Take some time to go to a regular department store/mall. It's such a fun experience, even in the most regular sort of place. 100 yen shops are FABULOUS.

• get some corn soup from a vending machine.

• C.C. lemon is the best soft drink, A+!!! lemons lemon is also good, it's essentially Just Lemon Juice.

• tokyo tower is FUN. i once somehow won a PSP that i subsequently Never Used in a vending machine there.

I hope you have an absolute blast!!! :mount_fuji: :100: :sake: :white_flower: :diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside:

• This is a long shot to say the least, but my friend and I are streaming/translating Persona 5 on Friday night. We are a really small stream but would always welcome a guest such as yourself.

We are also going to the Danganronpa Mirai-hen cafe on Saturday...though I'm fairly certain you'll be attending TGS on that day. Still, the invitation for the stream and cafe stands!

You MAY not be able to get tickets on such short notice but there's also the Eorzea cafe. It's located in Akihabara and I know they have a ticket signup in English now to help foreigners. However, because they added English support its usually booked. I just checked and they had some tickets for this Friday.

• @Lyn said in I'm going to Japan!:

• Pepper Lunch - some of my favorite food to this day and I Cry because i'll probably never be able to have it again. Pretty cheap. You order from a machine and get a ticket and then hand it to the people and then they give you food, and It's the Best Food Ever.

• Coco Ichibanya - a chain curry house that's pretty stellar/not too expensive from what I remember.

• C.C. lemon is the best soft drink, A+!!! lemons lemon is also good, it's essentially Just Lemon Juice.

+1 all of this

Yeah, Pepper Lunch!
    I thought I was the only person who liked that place

• Babymetal Tokyo Dome!

• Sorry to keep making separate replies, but just a couple more thoughts on what to do after you land. I'm assuming you are going with alone or with someone who also has never been, and I'm assuming you both don't speak Japanese.

1: Download Google Translate and save a couple of pre translated phrases or questions loaded. This will be useful if you don't have an international Data Plan or are too tired from jet lag to think of a way to phrase something while an airport employee tries to help you. One question I would have ready is "where is the SUICA machine?"

2: Get a SUICA Card to compliment the YEN you have with you. SUICA cards are basically NFC prepaid debit cards. They are green and have a picture of a cartoon penguin on it. They are used all over the place, including restaurants, vending machines, and most importantly, the subway system. Considering how often you'll probably jump in and out of the subway system, these will save you a lot of headaches since you can just tap and go through the turnstyles.

3: The subway system in Japan is unbelievably convenient, cheap, and on time. After your first day you'll probably be pretty comfortable with them, but for me, I didn't understand the whole turnstyle system they have. Basically, you tap a turnstyle with your SUICA card to get into a subway station, you jump on a car, and then when you leave you tap your SUICA card on the exit turnstyles, which charges your card. If there are any issues like you missing a turnstyle, or tapping too many times, they have an employee fix it on the spot. Super convenient.

4: Don't get the Kansai pass or any other pass, really. Most rides on a car are around 1 dollar or so, and the passes are waaaay too expensive even if they includes busses, etc. They might be useful if you are traveling between like major Cities, but even then it might be cheaper to just buy a ticket as an international tourist on the bullet train website.

5: 7/11's, Family Marts, and Lawsons are great places to shop for food, cheaply. Grab 2 onigiri for 2 bucks and you'll be good to go for a while. If you show up later at night, some of the food that you can microwave will be heavily discounted, perfect for stowing away in your room provided you have a refrigerator.

have fun, and feel free to ask any questions! It was a really fun trip for a first timer who didn't speak a lick of Japanese!

• Hey, Ben. I'm glad you finally get to do this. My suggestion isn't exactly about what you could do in Japan, but more about the stuff you could upload when you get back since, on the stream with you and Brandon, you guys were saying that you weren't entirely sure what form that would take.

I was thinking, obviously depending on time for editing/uploading, that if there were parts of the trip that it didn't make sense for you to include in more formal Easy Allies content, it could be neat to include footage of that stuff in a more casual vlog series. You could even embed the videos here so this thread could form a complete travel diary of sorts.

Anyway, have a great time. I'm deeply envious of you right now.

• @BenMoore Really excited and happy to see you going to Japan! I posted some stuff in the other thread mentioned by @TokyoSlim that I hope you'll find useful.

I also recommend heading out of the city at least for 1 day if you can swing it. There's some beautiful places just outside of Tokyo. Hakone is pretty close (less than 2 hours IIRC). If you're feeling adventurous, you can check out their open-air hot springs!

Looking forward to your adventures! L&R :heart:

• You are going to get a lot of advice, so I'm not sure how much mine will be helpful. But I lived in Tokyo, Japan for two years, so I can only give you my experience.

• Personally, I found the JR Pass to be a great deal -- depending on how much you plan to travel. If you are staying purely in Tokyo, then it won't be worth it. If you are planning on taking the Bullet Train up to places like Kyoto, or Osaka, then it's totally worth it.

• If you are in Tokyo, it cost like $120 EACH WAY to take the bullet train. So say you want to go to Kyoto, you will be paying $240 just for a single trip (the cost could be off, as I'm going off prices years ago. But it's still expensive). If you get a JR Pass for like $274 you can use the bullet train as much as you want for 7 days. So it pays itself off just by a single trip, and becomes a steal if you plan on going to various cities (I mean you save a lot of money).

• JR Passes can only be bought when you are out of Country. So if you do consider this route, buy a pass now online (they will ship it to your house, and then you redeem it in Japan). Once you are in Japan, you can't do this. The program is aimed at tourism, and can not be bought while you are in Japan (at least, that's how it was when I lived there). This is the site I've used, and it's never failed me: https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/

• That said, the JR Pass might not be worth it. As others have said, it totally depends on how much you plan on using the Bullet Train, and if you plan on traveling to cities. I def recommend using the bullet train at least once. There is nothing more amazing then sitting on window seat, and staring off at the beautiful country side. It's really quite amazing. As a side bonus, the JR pass also waives all fees for the JR Line in Tokyo (and the JR line pretty much hits all the major districts in Tokyo). So if you plan on going to Kyoto or take the bullet train anyways, then it's pretty much a no brainer.

• If you do go to Kyoto, DO NOT try to do it all in one day. Kyoto is actually a lot bigger then you think. And by the time you take the Bullet Train to Kyoto and get settled, the day will go by too quickly. And all the Temples close at around 5-6 (forget the exact time). Point being, you are better off staying the night in Kyoto. So set aside 2 days for it. You will enjoy it much more.

• Try not to get too distracted by anime/ game culture stuff. Obviously enjoy that stuff when you are there. But also try to get lost in the culture. Find hole in the wall places, and really try to experience their culture. When I first got to Japan, I was so hyped on Anime/gaming. But in the end, I found myself much more amazed by experiencing their culture and just blending in.

• Learn basic words (like excuse me, thank you etc). Get used to using your head + hand gestures a lot. Most Japanese people will appreciate the effort. They obviously don't expect you to speak Japanese, and if you try to speak full sentences you will sound awful. But if you are courteous and use basic phrases, it will be a much nicer experience. BE MINDFUL of their culture, and try not to be annoying (not saying that you are Ben, speaking in general). I see tourists that lack all self-awareness and are loud and obnoxious. People like their own space. So if you respect that, and try to blend in, then your trip will be much better.

• NEVER Tip at restaurants or for anything. They will actually refuse the tip, and it will put you in an embarrassing position. They don't expect tips.

• At least from what I can remember, there was never any trash cans outside.

That's pretty much all the advice I can give you. I hope you have a wonderful trip.

• Hey Ben, Seraphim here.

1. It is typhoon season, so it is slightly cooler then it has been for the last few months. However Typhoons happen very regularly. While I checked the weather and it looks fine, be aware that they can happen.

2. GET AN UMBRELLA. Rain can be bad and when it happens it happens. Do not be without an umbrella. Good news is every convenience store sells them. But having one handy is a good idea.

3. Convinience stores are you friends. Trust the food is fresh everyday and goo for a cheap snack. Convinience stores are worlds better then in NA. Also you can get cheap 2 L water bottles for the price of a regular water bottle that you would get from a vending machine. Convinience stores have tons of emergency stuff too.

4. Google maps helps with finding your way on trains. Get a pocket wifi at the airport and use google maps. It will tell you the fastest and cheapest route to get where you need to go. Also a side note is that until you leave the gates at a train station it costs you nothing. So if you go the wrong way it only costs you time.

5. Get an ioca card/transit card. They are reloadable and make it WAY easier then constantly buying tickets.

6. Drink lots of fluid. Not just water but things with electrolytes. I saw someone say cc lemon, but piccori sweet too. Either way take some vitamins to stay healthy as Japan is hot and humid.

7. Manners go a long way, learn important words to say thanks, sorry, and such. Japanese people are polite and expect you to be polite too.

9. Cash is king, bring lots of cash as everywhere takes cash, and don't be afraid to carry a fair amount as Japan is very safe. Japanese ATMS don't always take north America cards and have big charges for taking money. Japan can be expensive so keep a level head around purchases.

10. BE POLITE

11. Tokyo is very English orientated so don't be afraid you cannot speak the language.

12. Never object to people with "well in my country..."

13. The train system is your best friend, but remember service ends at midnight. Also it starts at 6 am

I will add more later

• Global Moderator

Hey Ben mind if I move this thread over to the Blogs section. Seems more appropriate.

• Some old fashioned but definitely not overrated visiting spots!

1. Visit the hot springs! Japan has really good natural hot springs. There's also some really cool manmade ones too that you should visit! Take a look at a video from the Business Insider of the Yunessum Spa and Resort. I know its weird but it's pretty COOL. I've been there before and loved it!

2. More strange lovely things of Japan include the black eggs of the mountain town, Owakudani, Hakone. The black eggs are ordinary chicken eggs but boiled in the sulfur hot spring located there. The phenomenon of the black eggs are cause by the sulfur water that turn them that color-- but they are completely safe to eat and are delicious.

3. The Osaka Castle is an historical site! I loved to visit there when I was a child. It's sort of a park now I believe. The history behind it is really cool; the Osaka Castle was the former site of the Ishiyama Honganji Temple before it had been destroyed by Oda Nobunaga thirteen years after it was built (if I'm correct). It was like the largest castle at the time and is currently very modernized and cool on the outside now. There's also a huge garden in the courtyard that you should definitely explore if you get the chance.

ANYWAYS that was just a couple of my favorite spots in Japan. Hope you find this useful :airplane: :airplane: :airplane:

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.