I'm going to Japan!

• @SellStep Strong Zero is ratchet, but has quickly become my beverage of choice, lol. Being poor means going for efficiency over quality.

• @BenMoore Tweeted this to you previously but if you get a chance the Mario Kart tour is a great way to see the city and the most awesome thing I've done in any country!

https://www.facebook.com/maricar.jp/

Also, if you get to go to Yokohama, the cup noodle museum is fun. Make your own and take it home!

You'll have a blast, happy you got to go!

alt text

• Hi Ben!, will be heading to TGS too. Arriving tomorrow, would love to meet up.

• @Lyn There was this teacher at Sapporo University who could pass as the spitting image of the C.C. Lemon guy. This was around 2006 when they had just pretty much come out with it, so we had him hold a can and we took his picture, but we never explained why, lol.

• Global Moderator

Most people have given solid advise so I'll try try to keep duplicate information to a minimum. Spent 2 weeks in Japan at the end of last year.

• Get used to the trains. Once you have an understanding they are pretty easy to get a good grasp of.

• Just ask for help. Japenese people are some of the friendliest people I've ever met, honestly they will go to serious links to help someone. So if you're stuck with directions or whatever, just ask someone.

• Sumo Wrestling - Unfortunately there was nothing on when I was there but I think you'll be around when the professionals fight. Maybe someone here will have some more information for you on that.

• Tsukiji Fish Market - Get here very early and enjoy the sushi. It's a bit chaotic but you probably won't find better sushi anywhere else.

• Ichiran Ramen - Pretty popular ramen place that I went to at least 2-3 times while I was there. Buy what you want at the ticket machine! Very tasty.

• Shinjuki Golden Gai - Street full of shanty style bars, perfect for someone who just wants to go from place to place and chat to different people.

• Sensō-ji temple - pretty cool stretch of markets and temple around Asakusa if you want to check out some culture.

• Onsen - So I'm not actually sure what ones are around Tokyo as I went to onsens in different parts of Japan. They are incredible so if you get the chance and you're comfortable in that kind of situation, absolutely go for it.

Let us know if you're heading outside Tokyo and I'll see if I can remember anything else in particular.

• @tokeeffe9 I believe the Onsen near Takao station opened up recently if he's willing to come to the western edge of Tokyo (the last stop of the Chuo line, plus 1 transfer to Takao-san guchi). There's also an incredible Soba/tempura restaurant at the base of Mt. Takao (same stop), and you can take the cable car or hike all the way to the top, which has some awesome views, a beer garden, a place to see monkeys, and more!

• Global Moderator

My only suggestion hit up Akihabara

• @ItsTheNew The Sky Tree is the new Tokyo Tower! It's expensive to go to the top, but the Sky Tree is now the second tallest building in the world (second to the Burj Dubai).

• Global Moderator

This thread makes me wanna go to Japan! would love to travel from north to south, perhaps have a week in Tokyo as there seems to be loads to do and see! How much is a flight there?

• Hey Ben! I'm a big fan, and I've been living in Japan for the past five years, so it'd be awesome if I could have the chance to meet up with you and other Easy Allies fans while you're here!

As far as recommendations go, it definitely depends on what you want to see. But if you're an otaku like me, I could definitely come up with a huge list of places that you might like, haha

Anyways, I can't wait to hear more from you! As far as getting in contact goes, I think twitter might be the best way? My twitter handle is @kagamiwaseda. Also, if you have LINE, my user ID there is hiiragikagami77.

• @Lotias Obviously that depends on where you're flying from! From the west coast of the US, I think you can expect around $1000 or so.

• Stuff you could consider doing:

Go to a classic SEGA arcade or a joypolis if possible, there's one in odaiba last time I looked and the life size gundam is there too

If you want to go to a maid cafe, go to a tsundere cafe, they insult you and treat you like crap, it's hilarious

Visit a shrine, they're beautiful places even completely non religious people can enjoy

• Odaiba is a great place to visit. You can get there by a waterbuss that is futuristic looking or by the Train that is quite nice.
    It has Joypolis(SEGA Arcade place and has Initial D playable in car!!!) and the mall next to it or in that place has a ramen area that has ramen style from different areas.Near there is DiverCity that has that big Gundam beside it.

Nakano Shopping District might be familiar from Digimonstory: Cybersleuth and that place has a good selection of reasonable prised stuffs if Akibahara is too pricey for you.
    Akihabara also have arcades and I recommend trying to find a game where you bash the table and flip it in the end and other awesome arcade games. Also pachinko but those areas are quite smoke filled.

You can go to the sightseeing floor in Government Building free of charge and Square Enix Cafe is quite a nice place but getting there might take too much time if you don't know where it is.
    Tokyo Sky Tree is a good place to see the city but to get on the upper point costs extra. Ueno Park is great and has multiple museums near each other.

Foods I recommend are: Gyoza, ramen, okonomiyaki, omurice(omelette with a rice within), curry, crepé(there are lots of selections), katsudon sandwitch,
    yakitori and they sell bento(boxed lunch) that heats themselves by pulling a string and giving it few minutes to warm up in Tokyo Station.
    Beware that flavor is quite strong and accomodates the ingredients if you are not used to it and they give miso soup as an extra in the morning at some places.
    Also. Many places have food ticket machine outside of the restaurant that you buy before going in (no english usually though but some have pictures and you can always check the display if you want certain food in there).
    Displayed food looks so real and can be helpful.

Always have cash with you and it's OK to have part of them as dollars in case you don't use all the money and currency exchange is easy in big stations.
    Learn the value of the money by hearing(1-9, jyu=10, hyaku=100, sen=1000 and man=10000) and you can rate them nearly as 1 yen=1 cent.
    Depending the duration of your trip, focus only on one or two areas for a day unless there was nothing there and some places are good only during certain times.
    Shops closes early and they play the song when they close it, so waking up early and going early to sleep is good unless you want to hit the bar or hostess club.
    Avoid rush hours when using public transportations. They can get really packed. Buss is cheap but only use them if you know the destination exactly.

Don't bring useless things that hotel provides like a towel, tootbrush and other stuffs.
    I recommend having a japanese language app on your phone if you need to ask something specific.
    Explore and let your instinct take the lead sometimes.
    And lastly. Remember to promote your group by wearing an Easy Allies shirt.
    And if you meet an ally please take a photo in those special booths found in arcades or other places.Would love to see it.

• I'm so happy for you, Ben.

Have a safe trip and soak in what you can; however, don't stress if you can't do everything. This is not necessarily a once in a lifetime opportunity.

• Crane Games in Akihabara has really cool stuff but if you're going to try them don't make the same mistake as me. You literally can't lift anything with the claws, they're designed so you have to push the items instead so they fall into the hole.

• I just realized that I was in Japan 17 years ago and that none of my advice would be remotely useful

Yoyogi Park is probably still hilarious though.

Also, go eat where the locals eat

• @TheHashtag0nist said in I'm going to Japan!:

Also, go eat where the locals eat

Chikara Meshi in Ningyochou was my favorite restaurant when I was in Japan last year and that was just a regular diner where regular folks came to eat. Walking distance from Akihabara so it's not difficult to find.

• I hope to go to the Tokyo Olympics in 2020, and visit the Nintendo theme park when it opens then as well. Other, already existing places that I also have my eye on:

Ritsurin Garden
    Himeji Castle
    Nintendo's headquarters + new R&D building
    Various historic villages
    Shinjuku business district
    Tokyo Metro :astonished:

And it very likely won't still be around in 2020, but if you get the chance, the Kirby Cafe! ^_^

• Global Moderator

@Lotias If you honestly wanted to go North to South, I'd say give yourself at least a month. I covered most of the south as far as (between Hiroshima to Tokyo) in 2 weeks and I could have totally done with more time in places like Kobe and Nara so definitely a month.

• I don't know too much about Japan. But my wife is Japanese and I've been there twice with her. I was there recently this summer and here are a few things I enjoyed and my personal tips. I'm not even going to list the obvious (sushi, izakaya, ramen, etc.).

• Ate at Shibuya Niku Yokocho (more info http://tokyoing.net/shibuya-niku-yokocho/)
      This was like a food court that took place on a couple of floors. It's pretty much all BBQ restaurants and they all coexist and just blend together. So you can hop from vendor to vendor. We met up with a friend there and enjoyed some apps and drinks at one spot then moved on to grilled meat and drinks at another.

• My most used phrases and how I pronounced them. Not sure how authentic but people understood what I was saying. Pardon my poor or ignorant pronunciations =P
      Yes - Hai (HAI!)
      Please (yes, please) - onegaishimasu (oh-nay-GUY SHE-mahs)
      No - Iie (E-yet)
      Excuse me - Suimasen ( soo-E ma-SEN)
      Thank you - Arigato (ah-DEE GOT-toe) or Domo
      Thank you (more polite) - Arigatou gozaimasu (ah-DEE-GOT-toe o-ZY-E-mahs)
      This, please. - (I used this to purchase items or menu items when paired with pointing.) - Kore, onegaishimasu (cor-ET oh-nay-GUY SHE-mahs)
      Please (Please, after you; Please, I insist) - Dozo (DO-zo)
      I'm, fine/ok. (I used this as a polite no) - Daijoubou (DYE-jo-boo)

• Check out all of the Japanese food. Check out the convenience stores and get yourself a nikuman (steam bun). Even 7-11 has them! Also, check out Japanese versions of other cuisines. That's interesting and different as well. The last time I was there I had taco meat, cheese and a fried egg on rice that was not Mexican, nor Tex-Mex. Japanese Italian is a thing as well.

• If you manage to find a thrift store. Check out the electronics. I've found games may be region locked but most accessories are not. I found a really nice Book Off Super Bazaar and they had cheap electronics and games. I don't think the people there care about it as much as we do. I picked up an OG Gameboy for $1, dreamcast VMUs, light guns, Taiko drums, various controllers.
    • Just take it all in. The culture shock is great. Enjoy all of the little things. The wet naps, vending machine coffee, public toilets, convenience/grocery stores, etc.

I'm excited for you Ben. Hope you have a blast!