I'm going to Japan!

• Global Moderator

@Lotias If you honestly wanted to go North to South, I'd say give yourself at least a month. I covered most of the south as far as (between Hiroshima to Tokyo) in 2 weeks and I could have totally done with more time in places like Kobe and Nara so definitely a month.

• I don't know too much about Japan. But my wife is Japanese and I've been there twice with her. I was there recently this summer and here are a few things I enjoyed and my personal tips. I'm not even going to list the obvious (sushi, izakaya, ramen, etc.).

• Ate at Shibuya Niku Yokocho (more info http://tokyoing.net/shibuya-niku-yokocho/)
      This was like a food court that took place on a couple of floors. It's pretty much all BBQ restaurants and they all coexist and just blend together. So you can hop from vendor to vendor. We met up with a friend there and enjoyed some apps and drinks at one spot then moved on to grilled meat and drinks at another.

• My most used phrases and how I pronounced them. Not sure how authentic but people understood what I was saying. Pardon my poor or ignorant pronunciations =P
      Yes - Hai (HAI!)
      Please (yes, please) - onegaishimasu (oh-nay-GUY SHE-mahs)
      No - Iie (E-yet)
      Excuse me - Suimasen ( soo-E ma-SEN)
      Thank you - Arigato (ah-DEE GOT-toe) or Domo
      Thank you (more polite) - Arigatou gozaimasu (ah-DEE-GOT-toe o-ZY-E-mahs)
      This, please. - (I used this to purchase items or menu items when paired with pointing.) - Kore, onegaishimasu (cor-ET oh-nay-GUY SHE-mahs)
      Please (Please, after you; Please, I insist) - Dozo (DO-zo)
      I'm, fine/ok. (I used this as a polite no) - Daijoubou (DYE-jo-boo)

• Check out all of the Japanese food. Check out the convenience stores and get yourself a nikuman (steam bun). Even 7-11 has them! Also, check out Japanese versions of other cuisines. That's interesting and different as well. The last time I was there I had taco meat, cheese and a fried egg on rice that was not Mexican, nor Tex-Mex. Japanese Italian is a thing as well.

• If you manage to find a thrift store. Check out the electronics. I've found games may be region locked but most accessories are not. I found a really nice Book Off Super Bazaar and they had cheap electronics and games. I don't think the people there care about it as much as we do. I picked up an OG Gameboy for $1, dreamcast VMUs, light guns, Taiko drums, various controllers.
    • Just take it all in. The culture shock is great. Enjoy all of the little things. The wet naps, vending machine coffee, public toilets, convenience/grocery stores, etc.

I'm excited for you Ben. Hope you have a blast!

• Really pleased for you. Couldn't imagine a better representative to send to Japan. Can't wait to hear the many stories you come back with

• Hi Ben!

I haven't really posted on here but I'm a big fan of you guys and watch most of your videos.

I'm studying in a city near Osaka for the next year.

I'm not sure if you plan on travelling around much while you're here, but if you are going anywhere within a few hours of Osaka, or Osaka itself I would love the chance to meet you.

Cheers!

Cole

• Global Moderator

@tokeeffe9 Interesting! yeah Im just thinking of the terms and living cost. having a month would prolly be quite expensive, but I guess if I save enough? haha

• Hey Ben,
    Here are some day to day tips for japan.

if you dont already have these get google maps and google translate for you phone.
    Google translate app will allow you to take photos japanese text it will scan the txt and translate to broken english.
    Google maps is your best friend, it will show you what train you need to get onto and how many stops until you get off.

If you want to buy something e.g food i would take a photo of it and show them and say 'Kore Kudasai' (this please).

Get a JR card (suica card i think the name is) that you can just load heaps of money onto and you can catch any public transport all around japan.
    image of the card ( http://youinjapan.net/moving/foto/suica.jpg )

Below is a dump of my phones note pad i used for day to day terms

Suminasen
    すみません
    Excuse me/sorry

Do you speak English
    えいごははなせますか
    Eigo ha hanasemasu ka

Doko
    どこ
    Where

Kore
    これ
    This

Kudasai
    ください
    Please

Wakarimasen
    わかりません
    I DONT understand

I understand
    わかりました
    Wakarimashita

Sorry I don't speak Japanese very well
    すみなせんにほんごわかりません
    Sumimasen nihongo wakarimasen

Okane
    おかね
    Money

Motto
    もっと
    More

Kurin
    くりん
    Less

Ohari kudasai
    おはりください
    Please come in

Im sorry
    ごめんなさい
    Gomen nasai

No
    iie
    いいえ

Where is the station
    えきわどこですか
    Eki wa doko desu ka

Please treat me well/ nice to meet you
    よろしくおねがいします
    Yoroshiku onegaishimasu

How much is this
    これわいくらでsか
    Kore wa ikura des ka

Ticket
    ちけっと
    Chiketto

One please
    いちまいください
    Ichi Mai kudasai

Goodnight
    おやすみなさい
    Oyasumi nasai

How old are you
    なんさいですか
    Nan sai desu ka

After you
    どぞ
    Dozo

See you soon
    Ja mata

Thanks. Hello. Goodbye
    Domo
    どうも

How are you
    おげんきですか?
    Ogenki desu ka

Hai genki desu anata wa
    I am fine and you

What is this?
    これわなですか
    Kore wa na desu ka

Good evening
    こんばわ
    Konbanwa

Good after noon
    Konnichiwa
    きんいちわ

What's your name
    おなまえわですか
    O namae wa desuka

Water please
    むざおねがいします
    Muzu onegaishimasu

Help
    たすけてください
    Tasukete kudasai

Goodbye
    さよなら
    Sayonara

Today
    きょう
    Kyou

Tomorrow
    Asu
    あす

Next week
    Raishuu
    らいしゅう

Before you eat
    いたたきまっ
    Itatakimas

After you eat
    ぎちそさまでっだ
    Gochisosamadeshda

Power adapter
    でんげんあだぷた
    Dengen adaputa
    電源アダプタ

Hope you have a great trip.

• This is awesome Ben. I hope you have a ton of fun in Japan, I hope I get to go myself one day.

• Messaged you on Twitter and a friend told me that there was a thread here on the forum. I live in Nerima, about 45 minutes from Akihabara, about 15 minutes from the Tokyo Metro Government building. Hope we get to meet up!

• Easy Ally

I'm sorry I haven't been replying to this thread! The trip has been very hectic (and also wonderful). I'll have some big updates in the next couple of days if time allows. Thank you so much for the advice! It's very informative and I'm taking as many notes as I can. L&R

• @BenMoore Haha, no problem! Definitely savor every moment of the trip while you can. And yeah, definitely keep us updated on what your plans are if you've got the time!

• @BenMoore Congrats on surviving your first 24 hours! This trip is all about you, man, so do what you need to do!

• @Olf_Himself said in I'm going to Japan!:

@TheHashtag0nist said in I'm going to Japan!:

Also, go eat where the locals eat

Chikara Meshi in Ningyochou was my favorite restaurant when I was in Japan last year and that was just a regular diner where regular folks came to eat. Walking distance from Akihabara so it's not difficult to find.

That's so funny. I live in Ningyocho. I used to go there all the time but they closed that location right around Golden Week.

• @bymanus said in I'm going to Japan!:

@Olf_Himself said in I'm going to Japan!:

@TheHashtag0nist said in I'm going to Japan!:

Also, go eat where the locals eat

Chikara Meshi in Ningyochou was my favorite restaurant when I was in Japan last year and that was just a regular diner where regular folks came to eat. Walking distance from Akihabara so it's not difficult to find.

That's so funny. I live in Ningyocho. I used to go there all the time but they closed that location right around Golden Week.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Ben, while you're there try some Chu-Hi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chūhai. It's a refreshing alcoholic fruit juice available pretty much everywhere over there. Lawson should have some. Every time I find myself in Japan I make it a point to try the new flavors, a lot, , until I can't walk strait =D

Also there's an awesome 7-floor toy store called Yamashiroya just across the street from Ueno train station in Tokyo. It's 2 stops from Akihabara on the Yamanote (sp?) line so convenient to visit.

• @Olf_Himself Moushiwake gozaimasen. I was pretty devastated when I found out, myself.

• I know it's a little late, but here are some more phrases in japanese that might be useful in your trip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuDZN8Ftxps!

• So cool you finally got to go to Japan Ben, I'll give you two suggestions: My favourite temple I ever visited was Gotokuji's Maneki Neko Cat Shrine, you can get there via trains and a short walk it's worth it if its a nice day for sure.

alt text

Also if you like burgers then my favourite place in the world is in Shinjuku called Brooklyn Parlour.

alt text

Have fun! Can't wait for the videos.

• IM IN TGS RIGHT NOW!!!!

I'm in Tokyo till Monday before heading back to the prefecture I live in!

I hope you see this Ben I would love to meet you while you're here in Japan!!!!

Hope you're having fun in Japan! I'm in line to play Horizon right now!

• I CAST NECROMANCY
    I raised this thread from the earth because I just cashed in 5 years of airline miles I've been saving up and got a 1st class ticket to, and a business class ticket back from Tokyo for the Olympics next year.
    I will actually be there for over a month!! Managed to get a few Olympics tickets, which apparently are real hard to come by. So I'll be at a handfull of events. Mostly basketball related. Also got some beach volleyball and a wrestling finals and medal ceremony ticket.

I haven't been back to Japan since the tsunami, so it will be my first trip there in quite a while.
    0_1568918190516_1200px-2020_Summer_Olympics_logo_new.svg.png

• @tokyoslim Hella jealous you got tix. I applied to be a torchrunner, but gave up on the idea of getting any tickets.

I'm moving back there in January and will likely be there until late July (depends on PhD apps). Lmk if we have any overlap and if you want to link up! Same goes to anyone else who rolls thru while I'm there.