I'm going to Japan!

• Ben, while you're there try some Chu-Hi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chūhai. It's a refreshing alcoholic fruit juice available pretty much everywhere over there. Lawson should have some. Every time I find myself in Japan I make it a point to try the new flavors, a lot, , until I can't walk strait =D

Also there's an awesome 7-floor toy store called Yamashiroya just across the street from Ueno train station in Tokyo. It's 2 stops from Akihabara on the Yamanote (sp?) line so convenient to visit.

• @Olf_Himself Moushiwake gozaimasen. I was pretty devastated when I found out, myself.

• I know it's a little late, but here are some more phrases in japanese that might be useful in your trip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuDZN8Ftxps!

• So cool you finally got to go to Japan Ben, I'll give you two suggestions: My favourite temple I ever visited was Gotokuji's Maneki Neko Cat Shrine, you can get there via trains and a short walk it's worth it if its a nice day for sure.

alt text

Also if you like burgers then my favourite place in the world is in Shinjuku called Brooklyn Parlour.

alt text

Have fun! Can't wait for the videos.

• IM IN TGS RIGHT NOW!!!!

I'm in Tokyo till Monday before heading back to the prefecture I live in!

I hope you see this Ben I would love to meet you while you're here in Japan!!!!

Hope you're having fun in Japan! I'm in line to play Horizon right now!

• I CAST NECROMANCY
    I raised this thread from the earth because I just cashed in 5 years of airline miles I've been saving up and got a 1st class ticket to, and a business class ticket back from Tokyo for the Olympics next year.
    I will actually be there for over a month!! Managed to get a few Olympics tickets, which apparently are real hard to come by. So I'll be at a handfull of events. Mostly basketball related. Also got some beach volleyball and a wrestling finals and medal ceremony ticket.

I haven't been back to Japan since the tsunami, so it will be my first trip there in quite a while.
    0_1568918190516_1200px-2020_Summer_Olympics_logo_new.svg.png

• @tokyoslim Hella jealous you got tix. I applied to be a torchrunner, but gave up on the idea of getting any tickets.

I'm moving back there in January and will likely be there until late July (depends on PhD apps). Lmk if we have any overlap and if you want to link up! Same goes to anyone else who rolls thru while I'm there.

• @naltmank I think I'll be around in March/April. Usually stay in Yokohama but hit Tokyo regularly. You gonna be in Tokyo?

• @naltmank said in I'm going to Japan!:

Hella jealous you got tix

Yeah, we had essentially a randomized sale que here in the US instead of a lottery, and I was the 7000th something person in line. They sold out before I got any tickets, but I kept checking the site to see if any sponsors or anything were going to release any more tickets, since they are now first come first serve. And that's the story of how I spent a thousand bucks on tickets to Olympic events. lol

I'm gonna be getting there on July 9th, but I'm probably gonna be seeing relatives and friends and such for a bit before the madness starts.

• @e_zed_eh_intern Yup - I'll be taking care of my grandma out in western Tokyo, and probably working odd jobs on the side depending on what comes up. I also hit Yokohama pretty regularly, so let me know if you want to meet up!

@TokyoSlim lucky bastard. They're taking so many precautions to make sure this will be as smooth of a process as any Olympics can be. I think it'll be a breath of fresh air after the shitshows of Rio and London. Fingers crossed!