Sony purposefully lowering expectations just to blow you away

• I think there have been three cases of this at this point, and it feels like they're working with their partners on these plans.

Let's divulge into the evidence:

1. PSX 2014 and E3 2015 - Final Fantasy 7 Remake

At PSX 2014, Shinji Hashimoto comes on stage. The hype is real. Anything from Square-Enix would be hyped, but the FF7 logo appears on screen. The fans are blaring, tears are being shed, the Jesus Christ of gaming has been... reborn? We get trolled with the Hashimoto Laugh and a rerelease of the FF7 port. At that point, we know, for sure, that FF7 remake is dead... Until E3 2015.

The way Hashimoto talked about the FF7 port felt like it was on purpose, intentional, scripted. I am sure he knew, and Sony knew, we'd be disappointed. It was a Sony event, after all. FF7 Remake had to be planned with this FF7 port announcement in mind.

1. TGS 2015 and E3 2016 - Resident Evil 7

At TGS 2015, Sony Press Conference, Masachika Kawata, Resident Evil Series Producer, comes out on stage. He talks about (translated) how special it is to be at the Resident Evil 20th anniversary, having all of the Resident Evil titles plastered on screen. "We're going to do something special for the 20th anniversary", he says. Next screen, Resident Evil: Umbrella Corps. After, some video of a stupid third person competitive shooter.

"NOOOOOOOOOO!!" - Brad
    "What in the fuck even is this?" - Ben
    "HAHAHAHAHA!" - Bosman

We were disappointed in Capcom, in Sony, in our sons, our daughters, in the human race. At this point, Capcom has been lost into the depths of Dudebro, Conan O'Brien thumbs up, shooters that Resident Evil will never be a horror game again... until Kitchen 2016. Knowing that Kitchen was a PSVR tech demo for Resident Evil 7, and that we got trolled at Sony TGS, this HAS to be a master plan from Sony to literally kill our expectations for a horror Resident Evil game. I am pretty sure when PT died, Sony did everything in their power to convince Capcom to do a PT-like game, even getting the PT designer into Capcom's doors to make it happen. This definitely had to be a set up to give us this crazy moment at E3 2016.

1. PSX 2015 and E3 2016 - Crash Bandicoot

After an epic Uncharted 4 cutscene, Shawn Layden steps out in a Crash Bandicoot. The crowd goes wild, stays wild for every announcement, as is no longer wild at the end of the conference. Where was Crash? Why was he wearing that shirt?

Uncharted 4 releases, and Crash is in it. Everyone presses Sony for answers! "DO YOU OWN CRASH?" "ARE YOU MAKING A CRASH GAME?" Sony responds that Crash is still with Activision. Then we have leaks... of Crash!!!!.... in Skylander. Could they show Crash Skylander at the press conference? Well they did, and then some.

Sony was literally leakproof except for Crash Skylander. I think it was on purpose. With Shawn Layden wearing that T-Shirt, after an Uncharted 4 show, then Uncharted 4 having Crash in it, this was a master plan. They knew when they were going to announce the Crash Remasters, and they set us up.

Now that's all we have right now. I was also thinking that Sony made Activision release the worst CoD trailer in history only to show the most badass playthrough at E3, but I think I'm pushing it too far. Sony is masterful at manipulating our expectations in order absolutely floor us. I hope you all appreciate these findings.

• I think managing hype-levels before an announcement is a critical part of marketing. Those who can do it, are better at marketing.

I think most fanbases have the tendency to raise expectations as high as the companies let them. (Not doing anything is letting them). Being able to skillfully get people to come back down without turning it into bad PR is definitely something hard to do.

I really respect it, it works very well.

• "NOOOOOOOOOO!!" - Brad
    "What in the fuck even is this?" - Ben
    "HAHAHAHAHA!" - Bosman

I just laughed out loud at work and everyone is giving me a funny look. Totally worth it! :smile:

• @Mechanoid Context: Youtube Video – [50:36..]

"THIS IT THE FEDERATION FORCE OF RESIDENT EVIL!"

• OMG that was SO GOOD, I can't believe I missed this :laughing:

A coworker is like: "What are you watching?"

Me: "This is the best"

Edit: Oh, the SALT is soooooooo good.

• @Mechanoid I love it, it's like Capcom spat in Ben's face! OP is right, this has to have been planned.

• @Hoken said in Sony purposefully lowering expectations just to blow you away:

@Mechanoid Context: Youtube Video – [50:36..]

"THIS IT THE FEDERATION FORCE OF RESIDENT EVIL!"

Thanks for the link. I was thinking about it, but it slipped my mind.