Tips for a first-time DM?

• @descendfromgrace Oh wow this is great - there's definitely a lot of things i hadn't thought about!

Thank you so much for the reply <3

• @naltmank Oh man tell me about it - i feel like my old D&D group almost pushed our poor DM to the limit /multiple/ times :')

• @Tiggerdyret Thank you! I'll definitely have you and Descentfromgraces's replies handy whilst planning the adventure :)

I'm almost certain there will problems and slip ups but i guess it's a learning curve and i'm lucky to be playing with forgiving friends!

• @KTee90 No problem. I'm glad it will be useful to you.

• my advice would be:

remember the rules are just there to facilitate the fun, not kill it, use them as part of the storytelling, part of the characters, dont get caught up on technicalities too much

"in-character" trumps "in the rulebook" if it's something their character would do, let them do it even if it's a bit weird for that race/class to be doing it

give everyone a chance to shine, try to create scenarios both in the combat and in the story that will allow each persons character to be pivotal to that particular part

• @KTee90 Yeah, you'll probably make a few mistakes, but I'm sure it'll be fun none the less. Mistakes can be lead to great fun! I think the most important thing is to find out what drives you. If you are having fun and committing to the game people will follow and do their best to make the game run smoothly.

• Recently me and some friends started up a D&D game.
    Our DM had us rank like 5 different objectives for the storyline he was going to do, so that he had a consensus of what everyone wanted. Apparently it was an idea that he got from the Seven Seas RPG. These included stuff like exploration, monster slaying, intrigue etc. It worked well though because he got to see what we wanted, and could tailor the game to those interests.

• It's been over a year, how is your game going?

• @KTee90 I don't have experience playing D&D specifically, but I was a member of LARP club in high school where we played with similar rules to D&D just with worlds and enemies of our our creation. I built one story set in the modern day but with magic and one thing I quickly learned from my players is that no matter how hard you try to think of everything the players will find some way to break the game or will become overly invested in an aspect of the world that you haven't fully developed. As for breaking the game, prepare for a player to say they want to cast an explosion spell on a stalagmite(tite? IDK) in hopes that it will fall on a boss. You might not have considered this possibility and it might not be one of the ways you thought of to beat the boss but try to think about how realistically well that move would work and respond accordingly. Sometimes the random stuff works well. As for players focusing on seemingly random aspects of the world that you haven't fleshed out I would say just be prepared to make shit up on the spot. One of my players decided that he wanted to know the name and backstory of a villain's koi fish and how much the villain cared about it. The koi pond was actually just mentioned to set the scene for the area the players were entering but all the players hopped on this one particular koi fish and wouldn't let go. I ended up having to make up this koi fish's life story on the spot and then had to expand its personality when the players decided to take it with them on their adventure claiming that the koi fish was "too pure for a life of crime". So yeah, just practice filling in random details on short notice and be prepared to have to expand on those details later.

• A bit late to comment on it, but in my experience, first-time DMs have an easier time when they use premade modules instead of making up their own campaign from scratch. It doesn't require as much prep, and is usually better balanced than a beginner-made campaign would be.