PS4 Pro or new GPU for my gaming PC?

• Hi, allies. How's it going? I've been following the news of the PS4 Neo (now Pro) for quite a while, and I was thinking to buy one for Christmas. Never had a PS3 or PS4 before. I skipped them after my old PS2 and when straight for PC gaming up until today...
    I bought a 4K TV recently and I have it connected to my modest rig (nothing fancy: an i5 4590, amd 285, 16gb ram). It's cool for 1080p gaming and what not... As for "scaling", it doesn't look bad from where I sit when I play Doom, for instance. But I digress. To the point now:

I want to take advantage of my TV. Doesn't have HDR but that's not important for me (for now) and I love me some graphiKkkKksSs. So, what should I do? I've always wanted to experience the eeeeeeexcluuuuuuusive content (as Ian would say it) that Sony has to offer: Uncharted, Last of Us, Bloodborne, (soon) Last Guardian, GOfW, and so on... But I love playing on my PC. Better performance, better, waaaaay better deals, etc...

My options are the PS4 Pro or a gtx 1070 (both around the same price). I'll eventually buy the other one that I don't pick in the future, but I don't know what to get first. I'm dying to play FFXV, but I know it in my heart that it'll be released on Steam after some time and I should get it when that happens. Native 4K, etc. WHAT SHOULD I DO?! Help. :(

(Sorry the long boring post)

• Banned

Get the PS4 Pro first. Then get a 1070 later in the future when it's cheaper since that'll probably drop in price first over the PS4 Pro.

• How much do you want to play PlayStation exclusive games?

• I'm a bit confused. Is your gpu a nvidia gtx 285 or a amd 285 ?

• Wait till devs actually make their games function around the newest series of GPUs before buying them, they aren't worth the stress at the current price.

So honestly, get a PS4 pro. Or save the cash for cyber monday.

• I see no comparison between PS4 Pro and a GPU.

GPU would be a way better investment, given how easy it is to obtain cheaper games on PC.

I personally play on a 144hz monitor. I've tried playing on consoles and I absolutely hate it. Feels so incredibly sluggish.

• That really depends on if you want to play PS4 exclusives or think you can miss out on them.

• My vote (as a console gamer) would be for the pro. Having no idea how much of a jump the 1070 would provide, it seems like the pro would allow you to play games that you couldn't otherwise, and the 1070 would allow you to play what you already can with slightly better graphics....I guess the pro would allow you to jump on the VR train if it pans out.

Its kinda funny that you seem to be a graphics whore but don't care about HDR

• Banned

@Musou-Tensei said in PS4 Pro or new GPU for my gaming PC?:

That really depends on if you want to play PS4 exclusives or think you can miss out on them.

Pretty much.

Personally, I'd spend it on a GPU because buying a PS4 Pro just because of exclusives is almost not worth it.

• I would go Pro myself, but only because I have more friends who play on console than PC.

• Both sides have their advantages to be able to get the most out of your 4k tv, I could see you happy with either one.

What it comes down to is games, games, games. Seeing that you probably already have a good library of games on the PC, getting the 1070 will allow you to play them with better graphics, although I would still invest on a better CPU if you want to get those really high ultra settings on some games. So chances are that you could go nicely with a cheaper vid card if you plan to play most the same games and just want to see them look prettier.

I would agree that PC does have the best prices for games (steam, humble bundles, even certain sites will give their games out for free as a promo every once in awhile). Although I wouldn't neglect that you can and probably will find that Playstation gamers have good access to cheap games and free games every month. PSN plus will reward you with enough games to fill your time every month and PSN usually has decent sales going on almost always. subscribe yourself to cheapassgamer on twitter and you will see that there's enough deals going on a lot. Not to mention gamestop, best buy and other retailer deals. I have found that most games drop price really quick anyways, so you have a good chance of getting the game you want sooner or later.

On the side of getting a PS4 over the 1070, its all about those exclusives. I'm a PC and PS4 gamer, primarily for those exclusives. I can get those Xbox games sooner or later on PC or PS4. but PS4 first/second party exclusives are a must for owning a PS4. You can even get your hands on some of those exclusives you missed out on with PS3 via remasters or rereleases. Sure you can also now subscribe to PSNow on PC and enjoy them if they become available on that network.

The only argument against getting a PS4 Pro would have been if you already had a PS4 and were only upgrading or if you by chance were willing to wait and see if maybe in a year or two, they'll announce a PS5. Sony seems to be on a wait and see how Xbox scorpio does before thinking ahead kind of moment.

To wrap it up, think of the games you WANT to play and are interested in that will be coming out for the next 2-3 years. Thats where I would put my money. My personal choice if I had your current rig, would be PS4 or PS4 pro. mostly for the games. I find that most the games I like on PC would probably run ok if I had your current rig and if not then I can enjoy them on PS4.

• I think it all depends on what you have. I have a PC that can handle 6K at 60FPS on ultra for most games. VR is not a big deal to add on but the cost is significant. PS4 VR is less expensive and will likely give me similar results. If you have a PS4 or are grabbing a PS4 pro you can probably save a bit by getting the VR for it.

• I agree with the first post, if you are eventually going to get both a 1070 will get a price drop before a PS4 Pro so get a PS4 Pro.

• Guys, I trully apreciate every input and opinion you've shared. Having read every one of your comments now I'm feeling quite inclined into buying the PS4 Pro over the GPU.

Yes, as my PC can handle most newer games that are being ported out currently at reasonable settings, I believe it can hold on a little longer (and so can I for that GPU upgrade). The PS4 Pro is the best bet for now, plus, I just watched some of the Nioh trailers and it convinced me a little bit more :P .

Still, I will hold myself out from buying FF XV when it comes out, because I know it in my guts it will come out on PC in 2017, and as Brandon said on the last podcast "spoiler alert: it will run poorly on both [ps4 and pro]", and I'm kinda fearful over that (I'm really hoping for the opposite)!

Thank you, guys. Best community ever.

• This thread is everything. I have been debating this same question almost exactly, except the I'm looking at a monitor instead of a GPU. I've gone back and forth so much. My current monitor is 8 years old and starting to show it. It doesn't ever do more than 59fps and it's only 1620x1050. However, I have a nice full HD TV and I'd love to get into some of the tasty looking PS exclusives. And since I'm buying in first time, there's like no reason I'd settle for a slim instead of a Pro (because clearly I'm Pro not Slim wanna be right Jones?)

Anyway, I welcome thoughts on this too!

• Banned

@Av8orGamer What do you find yourself doing more often? If you're on your computer most of the time I'd suggest a new monitor.

I have two of these in a dual setup. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2HH7G0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• @Draven4 I was kinda in this situation before. I decided to buy all of the big releases on PS4 instead of PC, and honestly, I'm not missing much. Who cares if I can't see a few more pieces of grass here and there when I play Witcher 3, the experience is just fine on PS4.

I eventually had to completely upgrade my PC (about $2000) because my motherboard on my old PC was crapping out. Really sucks that PCs are just so fragile compared to the consoles with little pay off.

• @Av8orGamer said in PS4 Pro or new GPU for my gaming PC?:

This thread is everything. I have been debating this same question almost exactly, except the I'm looking at a monitor instead of a GPU. I've gone back and forth so much. My current monitor is 8 years old and starting to show it. It doesn't ever do more than 59fps and it's only 1620x1050. However, I have a nice full HD TV and I'd love to get into some of the tasty looking PS exclusives. And since I'm buying in first time, there's like no reason I'd settle for a slim instead of a Pro (because clearly I'm Pro not Slim wanna be right Jones?)

Anyway, I welcome thoughts on this too!

How expensive of a monitor are you looking at? Also what games are you looking to play on PS4 Pro?

• @ib0show I'm looking at spending my current gaming budget of about $200-250.

If I got a PS4 PRO I'd be after a few exclusives, like Uncharted, Last of Us, and building my couch co-op library for playing with my wife.

• @Art I've never owned a console unless you count a Wii. I've always played on my parents PC, my various laptops through the years, and now my home built rig. I'm becoming a graphics lover and when I watch PS4 footage it is kinda jarringly bad. I want play some of the exclusives though, and I hope to play co-op games with my wife who things Wii Bowling and Mario Kart are the pinnacle of all things gaming. So currently, all my gaming is on PC, but I want to get into consoles.