Moving out for the first time…and scared of the idea of No More Gaming

• After finally getting a Stable job outside of my families business, I am finally going to be moving out at the end of this month! Already sign all of the papers and going to start packing next week. However, maybe it’s just the nervousness of moving out that’s getting to me…but I’m having stressful thoughts of not having any time to game once I move out. I mean of course I could make time after work to game…but now I feel like it’s a waste of time…? Like I should be doing more grown up things with my time now….O God Help Me Allies!!! IM LOSING MY MIND OVER HERE!!!

• I can only relay how it is for me, but gaming never went away, it just changed.

I don't play as much as I did before and when I do it's often a shorter game that is more focused on story. Like I look at my time and work takes up so much of it that my gaming habits had to change to make it work. I'm still not even half way through Witcher 3 main game for example and I love that game so much.

So don't stop playing video games because "it's not a grown up thing to do". Look at how much time you have and adjust the entertainment accordingly. Unfortunately giant JRPG's might not work anymore :/

• @Lasercat006 Literally the reason we hear philosophies from the EZA guys is because of what you're describing. Yeah, you'll probably play fewer games. Like, a lot fewer. And you might not be on the cutting edge of the console generation anymore. But you can still get major enjoyment out of gaming. "Play what you want to play," "Swimming in 7's," "Don't be afraid to jump into the middle of a series." These are all the result of people who started their professional lives and had to come to terms with the fact that you just won't always have the time you used to have to play the games you love.

• @Lasercat006 said in Moving out for the first time…and scared of the idea of No More Gaming:

After finally getting a Stable job outside of my families business, I am finally going to be moving out at the end of this month! Already sign all of the papers and going to start packing next week. However, maybe it’s just the nervousness of moving out that’s getting to me…but I’m having stressful thoughts of not having any time to game once I move out. I mean of course I could make time after work to game…but now I feel like it’s a waste of time…? Like I should be doing more grown up things with my time now….O God Help Me Allies!!! IM LOSING MY MIND OVER HERE!!!

I can relate to this so much!

If you are stopping yourself from gaming due to having to do "grown up stuff" or not having the time just ask yourself what exactly that means. What would you be doing if you were not gaming?

I was the same way a couple of years ago and then I realised that I was just sitting there watching repeats of The Big Bang Theory (please don't throw rocks at me!) to relax while gaming was stressing me out for no real reason beyond perceiving it as me throwing my free time away. Watching TV is the ultimate time waster because it is so passive, with video games at least you are interacting with them 90% of the time.

So I shifted my thinking to be: This is a hobby I love so I am going to make time for it.

The following is all the stuff I have picked up on in the past few years as my work/life commitments have increased. Hopefully you'll find some of it helpful :)

The main thing is prioritisation. If you have a long list of things that need doing, tackle that list first then game. The sooner you get that To Do List tackled the more time you'll have for yourself.

Then there is scheduling. Pick an evening or two during the week and say these are my gaming nights. Treat them like a social commitment, put them in your calendar and tell people you're busy if they ask if you are free. But make it flexible, if for example you've got a wedding to go to but its Raid Night in Destiny, the raid can wait a week or move to another night ;)

Take advantage of downtime. Have a long commute on a train? Whip out a Vita or 3DS and play whatever you want. Find yourself with 20mins of free time at home? Play a round of Overwatch. Also find some good mobile games, like really good mobile games, so you have something to play while you are out and about.

Finally, be aware that there will be periods of time when gaming has to take a back seat just like any hobby. Me and my wife have recently had our first child so that has impacted my gaming time a lot as we settle into the groove of parenthood. But I'm still finding time to grab the odd hour here and there along with organsing it with my wife so that I can usually get a good chunk of controller time in at the weekend.

Some other tips:

• Take advantage of sleep/suspend modes. They will change your life! My PS4 has been suspended on the same level in Doom for over a week but it is ready and waiting for me to jump back in when I get the time to.
    • If you have a significant other and are worried about them getting annoyed by you playing games. Play some co-op games with them. If they aren't really a gaming enthusiast I'd recommend trying games with a fixed camera that use a single analogue stick to control movement/positioning; the lego games, Diablo III on console and a lot of indie games are perfect for this.
    • The sooner you can get out of the I NEED TO BUY THIS ON DAY ONE! mindset for new games the better. If it is taking you 2+ months to playthrough something like Doom or Uncharted 4 do not buy another game of that ilk until you are done with the current one. (You'll also save some cash too!)
    • You can still play massive open world games and RPGs both Western and J in variety. Just be ready to drop them for months at a time. Also make lots of notes in a notebook or on your phone. Because while a lot of big games have quest logs and such if you leave them for a couple of months you''ll always comeback to them confused as hell. End each session by answering these questions: What is happening in the story? Where am I? Where am I going? What is my goal for the next play session?

tl;dr
    Don't stress about it, actually make time for playing games!

• Haha, your time for gaming definitely deminishes, but honestly? Gaming finds a way man.

I literally saved up leave so I could take E3 off, and this week has been a BLAST.

Life goes on, new challenges arise, but as long as you make sure to always leave some time in your day aside for the things you really love, you'll be golden. (I even gamed like 1-2 hours a day through like half of basic training when I joined the military haha)

• I am in the exact same boat as you OP only that I am still seeking work. I also work part time and study at uni as a software programmer. I decided that the good old days are gone and now I need to adapt so I picked all the games that I am most anticipating and interested in the coming years and put them in the list. Now that list will fluctuate as days go by as we get to know more and more about the changes in the games that are being implemented.

On a daily basis though I just pick a few games that I like by watching a few youtube videos, podcasts and allies thoughts and I make short term commitment to each of them.

Now the way I play is quite different too. When I was young I had ton of time so I mastered games and played them over and over on the hardest difficulty setting. Now I play what I like, as long as my heart is quenched and move on. I would revisit these game at a later date depending on my mood. Tbh that's the best strategy that works for me.

• Global Moderator

I think you're worrying too much about it really. In the end, just do what makes you happy, not what you think you should do to be happy. Whether that be lots of gaming or no gaming, you'll figure that out as you get accustomed to your new life style.

I've moved countries for work and I still game as much as ever. Right now I even bought a PS4 for the sake of 6-8 months as I'm going travelling again soon just to keep on gaming. :)

• Thank you so much for all the great tips Allies, i feel a little more at ease now but man this is all giving me flash backs to when i was still in high school, My father would always say to me, "Your going to have to stop playing video games one day" And that would always scare the hell out of me because I have such a huge passion for gaming...sigh, but I guess setting time for a "Game Night" a couple times a week will have to do...I just don't know what im going to do when Persona 5 comes out...(Nervous level rising)

• 9-5er who lives with his girlfriend and has a dog here.
    You just find time. Like with any hobby, if you love it enough, you make time to enjoy it. Sometimes a lot, sometimes a little, but you always find time.

• If you still want to game, you'll find time to game. I've been working full-time for the past 10 years and have been simultaneously going to school again full-time the past couple years. I typically can't play much during the semester, but when I don't have classes, I feel like I have way too much time. It's all about managing priorities.

Persona 5? Definitely a priority.

Maybe grab a 3DS as well, eh? In your early twenties, you might feel silly pulling out a 3DS while waiting at grown-up places. For me, at least, by my late twenties, I couldn't care less what other people think. A 3DS is significantly better than staring at a wall at the DMV.

Also, most grown-ups have hobbies and people who grew up with home consoles are hella old now. Thus, the average age of gamers gets older and older.

• If you enjoy gaming then it's not a waste of time, and if you love gaming you will find time, and if it's just on weekends and holidays.