Darkest Dungeon (PC/PS4/Vita)

• Sup Allies,

The darkest dungeon comes out this week on PS4 and I just wanted to know who else is looking forward to this game, and who might have already played some of it on the PC.

I actually learned about this game from Game Trailers, I backed them on kickstarter and played a little bit of the early access on PC. Once they announced it was coming to PS4 I stopped playing the early access, just my personal preference to play games on console.

So I wanted to know, who else is excited? Who here has already put in 100+ hours into the PC version?

• absolutely one of the coolest games I've played. I really need to get round to playing more of it, its really cahllenging but in a deeply satisfying way.

• I played the PC version some time ago (full release, I don't play Early Access games) and while I did enjoy it I found there to be some balance issues along with it getting a bit too repetitive for me.
    I have heard that they have tweaked the game since then, but I'm not sure if I'll dive back in again.
    The style and music was cool though.

• I may check this out on Vita (depending on price)!

• @Sh1fty
    Oh yeah, totally forgot that its not only also on Vita, its cross buy too. Sh1fty I'm not positive on the final price but I think its either $19.99 or $14.99 and there may be a small PS+ discount

• Oh, actually played it in early access. I guess it is a good game but there was this tiny thing that made me hate it! I had this healer and some other higher level characters that I tried to keep in top shape and then the expendable ones. Anyway at some point my healer was like level 3 or 5 and she refused to go into the short and easier dungeons. I know it was there to keep the game challenging but the RNG is still big enough that you can die at any time when you’re unlucky. Well, first I thought it was some of her negative traits but didn’t see any fitting to this behaviour. So I quit.

• @TheMarcV that seems like a pretty good price! especially considering all the good things I've heard across various media outlets.

• As a big Lovecraft fan I have been waiting ravenously for this thing to come to consoles, I'm going to buy it as soon as the store updates tomorrow morning

• @Ikataishou
    I know what your talking about, once they hit a certain level you have to take them into harder dungeons. I wasn't crazy about that either, I love to grind and it would be a good way for me to get low level guys through the first couple of treks so they can level up and stuff. Personally it didn't deter me that much to completely stop playing the game but I know how you feel.

• @Galaxy40k
    Awesome, yeah I love the vibe of this game and how the art and narrator complement that Lovecraft style. I also really like how the hero's in this game are grounded, in that, weird shit freaks them out and can even make them crazy. I know where talking video games here but I wish more games were a little bit more grounded in that the characters can kinda be like, this is some really crazy shit that's happening to me or, man I've killed so many people. Most games the heros are just not effected at all by what they are doing.

• @TheMarcV Steam says 93 hours, so I'm not quite up to 100 yet, but I recommend it.

@suplextrain The devs have really stuck around and added tons, tweaked tons, jazzed up the interfaces, fixed things players hated, added options to allow players to enable and disable new features they may or may not like, etc. It's a way different game than it was when it first came out in Early Access. There's lots of new hero classes too.

@Ikataishou I'll admit that does get annoying. It's for balanced reasons. Honestly you're never supposed to feel completely comfortable, and once units get leveled up skills and armor/weapons they're very broken in lower level areas. The game is actually balanced so you can survive to some level if you're smart on higher difficulty expeditions even if your guys aren't as upgraded as they should be. You do have to think in squads at some point though and plan around who's what level now and such. Leveling up your barracks to have more units available at a time helps ease the pain of it. Also, you will start to accumulate powerful trinkets that will make even your brand new recruits super strong in the low level expeditions.

My biggest advice to anyone finally picking this up is to read the message you get when you first start the game. That will put you in the right mindset. Don't rage when things don't go your way. There will be times they wont, but there will also be times against all odds you'll pull through horrible situations. That's just how this game is designed. Experiment with different squad compositions lots and always think about what you're working towards and what you need to accomplish both inside and outside of battle. Don't be afraid to retreat either. Sometimes it is the best option, and you get to keep all the loot you've gotten so far when you abandon your quest, just not the quest completion bonus. Don't rage when you lose guys you've trained up and sank money into either. It's going to happen. Just minimize losses as much as you can, and be aware there's stagecoach upgrades you can unlock later that can allow higher level recruits to show up, which will take much of the edge off grinding new heroes up. One last somewhat obscure tip that I'm not entirely convinced isn't a bug, when you put a hero in the mental ward you can both lock in a positive trait and remove a negative trait at the same time if you have enough cash. Locking in positive traits prevents them from being overwritten by less useful positive traits later, and even though it's expensive, sometimes it's very worth it.

• Global Moderator

Just want to point out it's coming out on Vita too. Just bought it and hoping to have it downloaded before more bus trips.

• I'm really looking forward to trying it out, but I know it'll make me angry at times. I prefer to wait to play the completed version of games, so I never got around to trying it in early access. Plus I mostly play on consoles.

• @Mbun
    Totally agree with what you said, especially about not getting too upset when shit hits the fan.
    Also, think I saw its $24.99 but there's suppose to be a 20% off for PS+ members. That's just what I read on another forum.

• Downloaded the game last night but didn't get a chance to start it up. I'm hearing a lot of people are having the game crash on them. Anyone else experience this yet? Seems like the devs are aware and are working on a patch but really sucks the game is coming out of the gates a little rough.

• @Mbun Locking in positive traits isn't a bug, the game suggests doing this. Naturally, I'm just starting out and way too poor to use this feature, but some day... some day...

@TheMarcV , I played maybe 5 or 6 hours yesterday and the game crashed on me three times. Nothing terrible though - each time it crashed when a dungeon was loading. I'd reload the application and it would pick up right back in the dungeon. A little annoying but tolerable.

I'm loving the game so far. It took a couple of hours to get the feel for team composition and managing stress of party members but I've finally gotten into a pretty decent groove, thanks to the Jester (favorite class by far). Just like @Ikataishou mentioned, I was completely unaware a high level troop couldn't partake in lower level encounters, so that was where I left off last night; slightly frustrated that the main party I was building up for a boss encounter can no longer fight that boss encounter. The game did a decent job of explaining most of its systems, I'm a little surprised that detail was left out. The controller implementation is a little wonky and definitely takes some getting used to, but I wouldn't consider it game breaking. Equipping trinkets for the first time took way too much fiddling though, I still can't understand why you can't equip directly from the character screen. Still, I'm happy to finally have my hands on this game and the cross-buy makes it all the sweeter.

• @SabotageTheTruth No, I meant the part where you can lock in a positive trait AND remove a negative trait in the same timespan since the game tends to make you choose between stuff to do in the same time period like destressing your heroes or taking them onto another expedition. You can't say remove stress and remove disease at the same time, so it's strange that you can remove a negative trait while locking in a positive one.

• Some people are having serious crashing problems, but it hasn't been terrible for me (NA PS4). I've had three crashes to be sure over the course of 4 hours or so, but because the game autosaves constantly I quickly get back to where I was with no lost progress. Devs are working on fixes atm.

• Finally got to start it up last night and really had a blast with it. First off it is kinda hard getting use to the controls, im slowly getting use to it but its not really intuitive. I just recuirted a class I hadn't played before, the abomination I think it was. I was gonna sent them out but when I was creating my team I only had other holy classes and they wouldnt team with them. Which kinda sucked cuz I still havent gotten to use them yet, but it actually really cool that the other characters are like, yeah im not rollin with this freakzoid. Otherwise only did like maybe 4 runs, the game did crash once when loading the dungeon but like others said, I reloaded and was sent straight to the dungeon which was great. I kinda thought Id have to repick the mission, team and provisions but that stuff was all saved so it was only slightly annoying. Totally looking forward to playing more and finally getting to try out this awesome sounding new class, anyone else use that class yet????

• @TheMarcV I've been weary to use it. Turning into a beast sounds great but it seems to stress everyone out (rightfully so). Stress hasn't been too much of a problem lately, partially due to gaining levels, understanding abilities, and using a Jester, but... still, I dunno. I was actually surprised with how powerful a gravedigger was last night, so I might try throwing that into the rotation a little more.