Darkest Dungeon (PC/PS4/Vita)

• @tokeeffe9 In the same boat mate. I loved Huber's first stream (I need to watch the second) and I had some fun with a few dungeon dives but then... I dunno. I actually beat 3 bosses in a row so that literally is progress but I didn't feel fulfilled. On the flipside, Kyle's stream of the Pokemon Trading Card Game 2 caused me to purchase the 1st one and I can't get enough. Maybe it boils down to vibes, I'm not sure.. but taking a break from Darkest Dungeon and LET IT DIE is starting to feel refreshing.

• @SabotageTheTruth I think you hit the nail on the head. The issue with a rogue like in the vain of Darkest Dungeon is it never feels like you make progress because the next dungeon is going to look pretty similar and have 95% of the same stuff the previous one had.

When you think of Rogue Legacy, it feels like you're progressing because some things stay permanent, you make progress into more difficult areas etc.

This actually reminds me of the Chalice Dungeons in Bloodborne where visually you got a bit bored of it and in general things were pretty familiar. You had to find a switch to open a gate and the majority of the time that fat enemy was there. But even with that you still feel progress because each dungeon connects and you face off against a boss, pick up different items.

And I think that'd be totally fine with Darkest Dungeon too if it was a twenty hour game or so but from what I gather (heard about this new update coming), the game takes about 80 hours to complete! That's just way too much of the same stuff for me.

• @tokeeffe9 It's all about the run you're on now and how your party works in that moment. I always take it one boss at a time, so the overall goal doesn't fatigue me. Beating bosses is my milestone.

I guess I don't mind it, because I'm used to roguelikes, and I played FTL for a long time, a game that's frankly impossible to beat on 80% of the runs you make. You can however notice you're not up to snuff midrun and change your objective to unlocking a new ship or just exploring and learning to enhance your next run to possible be THE run. If you keep this up, you will eventually beat the game. Just play it when you want to, and do something else when you're tired of it. That's the rule of roguelikes for me.

• @Mbun Ah FTL... that game is way more unforgiving than Darkest Dungeon, at least it was for me. I keep meaning to hop back into Enter the Gungeon just because of how adorable it is, but I can't seem to get past the 3rd floor ever. Guess I need to git gud.

• Youtube Video

Huber's reaction is how I feel about things currently. I definitely want to give the game more time but for now, I think I'll be watching from a distance.

• Bringing this topic back from the depths as we now have a solid window for Early Access for the sequel.

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Not sure how everyone else feels, but seems like we could keep using the same topic for both games. Now of course I'm bummed to see Epic Game Store exclusivity, but in this case, it is only for the Early Access period, and they've already said the full game will be launching across other PC Storefronts as well. Their console plans aren't nailed down yet though.

• Yeah saw this this morning. I loved the first game but I'm really interested to see what changes they make for the second. Looking at this new trailer do you think they are going to use 3D models, that could be kinda cool.

Also, I kinda assumed this game did well on consoles, maybe just one thing at a time?

• @themarcv Yeah, I'm sure they just want to focus on getting the game balance perfect before porting to console. There's very little extra work taking a perfect PC Build on EGS and sending it to the other Storefronts compared to the work of actually porting the build to consoles.

• @mbun Yeah, makes sense and if I recall that conversion from PC to console for the first wasn't super easy either. I really don't mess with PC gaming anymore so I hope it doesn't take too long to get this thing to console after it gets version 1.0.

• A little more from the website:

Darkest Dungeon II is about hope, grit and determination. It reminds us that in times of crisis, we can’t wait for salvation, we have to find it ourselves – earn it, in spite of our weaknesses.
    πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€
    Our familiar companions band together for another journey into oblivion – this time in stylized 3d! In fact, this teaser was captured straight out of Unity, and uses the in-game character models and rendering techniques from the game itself. With a refined combat system and a whole new metagame, Darkest Dungeon II is packed with fresh monsters, bosses, and challenges.

Great to know the 3D effect isn't just a hype trailer thing. Between the first teaser and this one, I really wonder if this sequel is going to be traveling around an already doomed world to different locations on the road instead of having a town you grow.