Hype Check: Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE

• Hey Allies!

I feel like launching a discussion about the upcoming (next week!!) Wii U game Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE.

This game has been on my radar for a while, but there's next to no buzz around it. It sold very poorly in Japan, with various websites reporting around 25k sales only during its first week. It doesn't feel like Nintendo has high hopes for it in the West.

And yet! I watched the Treehouse gameplay demo of the game yesterday, and it got me incredibly hyped. Check it out if you haven't seen it, I had a huge grin on my face the entire time. The art style is incredibly colourful, the character design is amazing, I love their takes on existing Fire Emblem characters, Tharja and Virion look so badass! The combat system seems pretty deep, varied and extremely fun!

But above all, I was blown away by the over-the-top presentation, the pageantry, if you will! The special attacks, summons, and so on are all spectacular, and you even get concerts as rewards for finishing certain side quests as far as I understand!

I took to Twitter to ask the master himself, Ben Moore, if he was looking forward to the game, and he told me he was actually going to review it for EZA!

So my question is, is anyone else excited about the game or has more information to share?

Love & Respect,
    Axel

• I'm not "Excited" for it but I'm definitely checking it out, the way this game was originally pitched had me hyped as hell cause they showed a brief concept video at E3 that showed characters from all across all the different SMT and FE games that exist.

I thought perhaps we'd be getting a hardcore turn based RPG with this huge cross over, what we got instead was.....well Persona-Lite.

So I have low expectations, but I hope it'll be good, I have practically nothing on my Wii-U that was worth keeping the system for, so it'd be nice to have at least one good game on the pile. I'll be streaming it too once I get my hands on it.

• I'm a little afraid to be honest. I've mainly been watching footage of it from behind my hands because I really want to love this game. I'm really fond of both Fire Emblem and MegaTen so I want it to do well. But i'm still on the fence based on what I've seen so far (which isn't a lot).

• Another thing against the game is the censorship discussion. In the past 4 months Nintendo will have released 3 games that have raised the issue among it's fans. Fire Emblem Fates, Bravely Second, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

While it's not a big enough issue to stop me from buying the game it doesn't feel good

• I'm looking forward to play it and it's perfect game to keep me busy till Persona 5 and Nier Automata gets released.

• I'll wait until I hear what Ben has to say about it. There are plenty of jrpgs on the horizon these days, so I feel I can afford to be a little more picky than I used to.

• @Sparks
    This, if anything the censorship has driven me away, especially after seeing some of the things changed in fates.
    Although I do plan to purchase FE, and TMS at somepoint, I also hope Nintendo starts paying closer attention to the Treehouse localization team, and the changes they are making.

• I'm definitely still interested, but I've decided to wait and see reception (and now Ben's review!) because my backlog is getting hella unruly and I have quite a few JRPGs still in need of my attention. It's absolutely hype-worthy! I'll be keeping an eye on it for now, but I'm almost certain it'll end up being one I need to play.

• Special Edition Pre-Ordered baby!!!
    I am HYPED for another JRPG to play on my Wii U, and it's got ATLUS vibes through out the art direction. It will get me through the wait of Persona 5 and the 2-3 week wait on I AM SETSUNA ;p

Kind Regards
    Mumble Mumbleton Ally#2743

• I'm not really hyped on it, but I'm definitely gonna check out the reviews for it when it releases.

• I ask you when was the last time Atlus made a bad game? I'm so hyped for this as it's a beautiful, high definition, traditional turn based RPG from the undisputed masters of RPGs.
    Love & Respect.

• I love the Fire Emblem series with a passion. But I just can't get behind this game. The fact that it sold so poorly in Japan, despite seeming like it was made for that market, is concerning. I don't see it doing well out here either.

What I want to see so badly though, Fire Emblem Warriors. That would be so fun, and it's an easy sell!

• Alright, so cautiously optimistic seems to be the general consensus! I also have a huge backlog (still have to finish Xenoblade Chronicles X...), so I doubt I'll buy it day one anyway.

Looks like our buying decisions rest on Ben's shoulders!

@Hero-of-Lime Wow Fire Emblem Warriors, hadn't thought of that! That would indeed be awesome, and it's very plausible, after Zelda it's definitely the IP that lends itself to the genre the most.

• @Axel I know! Japan loves warriors/musou games, and they love Fire Emblem. Fire Emblem is really popular outside Japan now, and Hyrule Warriors was really popular, so Fire Emblem Warriors would be a hit, I know it. I can totally see it being made too. At least I hope so.

• I honestly don't know what to think, it was something I initially was really hyped for, but when they started showing it, it was not even close to what I was hoping for, and yet it has me if not excited at least intrigued.

In any case they only way I'm actually playing it is if the NX is backwards compatible, since there's no way I'm getting a Wii U

• @Hero-of-Lime I wouldn't put stock into Japanese sales numbers of Wii U games as a true reflection of quality. It'd be like looking a Bayonetta 2's physical 38,828 JP opening week and dismissing that 10, that masterpiece.

As for Warriors of the Emblem I think it's absolutely going to happen, Hyrule Warriors exceeded 1 million copies on Wii U and they are probably working on another Hyrule Warriors for NX. If they wanted to collaborate further with Nintendo a Fire Emblem game would be a natural progression.

• @TOPHATANT123
    Could also do "Smash Warriors" then again im probably the only person expecting a Smash Bros spin off in the near future

• First reviews are out, and it's looking good!

Nintendo Life: 8/10
    Eurogamer: Recommended

If Ben's review confirms the trend, I'll probably take the plunge!

• Global Moderator

The Nintendo Gameplay Video from E3 made me a bit more Excited. I was kind of indifferent and worried, but now I'm pretty excited

• Polygon gave it a 9.5, Gamespot & Destructoid with 8's.

Looks way, WAY up my street - and I love the thought of saving the world with music.

I recall Ben saying he's reviewing it, just waiting on that review now ..! :D

That Special edition is looking awwwfully temptinnng ...!

alt text