Games That You Bought A Console For

• I'm a broke college student so I don't buy new games as much as I'd like, but I buy new consoles even less often. However, I have been known to buy a console for a single game If I really wanted it bad enough (and if the console wasn't being sold at full price anymore/is refurbished).

For about a year the only game I owned on my PS3 was the Journey Collection, for about the same amount of time the only game I had for my Wii U was Nintendo Land (it was included, but gosh do I love that game), and I like many others bought my Vita for Persona 4 Golden.

What games made you decide to get a new console?

• I don't buy a Sony system unless it gets a Star Ocean game announced for it. Weird, I know, but that's how I roll.

• Xbox 360 - Halo 3
    Nintendo DS - Pokémon SoulSilver
    PSP - Tekken 6
    PlayStation 3 - Heavy Rain
    PlayStation 4 - Bloodborne (got the console for free with my phone so doesn't really apply)

• @Hoken said in Games That You Bought A Console For:

PlayStation 4 - Bloodborne (got the console for free with my phone so doesn't really apply)

Wh.....what?

• This is a hard to answer question. For me, it means what console that you didn't plan on buying you ended up buying anyways because of a game. I will always buy PlayStation consoles no matter what! So they don't count. Didn't want the original Xbox, but ended up with it because of Shenmue 2.

• @Inflorescence said in Games That You Bought A Console For:

@Hoken said in Games That You Bought A Console For:

Wh.....what?

Phone provider special deal. Buy a 12 month contract for Xperia Z3, get the PS4 for free. Good stuff!

• In 2010 I purchased a used PS3 specifically for The Last Guardian. Little did I know that I would be buying a PS4 for that same reason years later. To rub salt in the wound even more, a month after I bought my PS3 the slim version was announced.

At least I'll be playing The Last Guardian this October! :D

• Wii U for the new Zelda. But guess on which console it's gonna have improved visuals.

• In my opinion, no single game is worth buying a console (that's why I never got one), but it might change with NX, depending on the specs and a price. Also, if PS4 gets substantial price cut or a nice bundle with good games.
    Unfortunately, consoles are bought by money, not desires. :(

• I'm pretty quick to grab a console now if I know it's something I'll want, but I used to wait either because I had to lobby my parents or save up. Games I remember convincing me to grab a console:

• SNES for Super Mario World
    • PS1 after seeing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Spyro, and Crash
    • PS2 for Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
    • DS for Pokemon White
    • (Obligatory) Vita for Persona 4 Golden

• This is a list of the consoles bought, but not necessarily for that particular game. It was mostly just the most hyped game for me at the time:

• PS1 for Final Fantasy VII
    • Gameboy Pocket for Pokemon
    • PS2 for Burnout
    • Wii for Wii Sports
    • Xbox 360 for GTA IV
    • PS3 for GTA V (as a second console)
    • Xbox One for Titanfall
    • Might get PS4 for No Man's Sky and PSVR

• Dreamcast - Soul Calibur
    PS - Never had one, just played on my roommates system. Actually got back into console gaming thanks to it.
    PS2 - MGS2
    Gamecube - Metroid Prime
    X360 - Ace Combat 6 (I got into Ace Combat with PS2, had to get 6)
    PS3 - MGS4
    Wii - Twilight Princess

I've never regretted any of my purchases although the Wii really started to get dusty after Tatsunoko vs Capcom...
    Since then I've cycled back to PC. I was planning on getting a PS4 but now it looks like I'll get NEO instead.

• I tend to buy most systems the moment there was a game on it I NEEDED to play, and then dig into back catalogue from there.

PS1 - Final Fantasy VIII (Yup, started with that one then went back)
    N64 - Pokemon Stadium
    PS2 - Final Fantasy X
    Xbox - Halo
    Gamecube - (wasn't a particular game)
    PS3 - Metal Gear Solid 4
    Xbox 360 - Tales of Vesperia
    Wii - Wii Sports
    PS4 - Infamous Second Son (was the launch window title I wanted)

• I bought a PSP for the sole purpose of playing Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep. It did not disappoint.

• Sega Master System, for Alex Kidd in Miracle World

• Global Moderator

It's tough as really I haven't bought some of these consoles as I was still a kid and even the consoles I bought, even if there was a specific game I wanted, I knew I'd get others too.

The obvious one that springs to mind is the PS2 for MGS2. MGS is my favourite franchise and the hype going into MGS2 was insane. The trailers we'd seen etc. I reckon I've played and completed that game the most of any game. Super Mario Bros 3 might come close.

• PS3- Uncharted 2 and 3 bundle
    Vita- Uncharted Golden Abyss
    PSP- Star Wars Battlefront
    Original Xbox- Halo, Halo 2
    PS2- Sly Cooper
    Gameboy- one of the Pokemons
    I got the DS, 3DS, PS4, X360, and Xbox One on release day so didn't really buy them for a specific game.

• DS: pokemon soulsilver
    3DS: RE revelations
    ps2 -> Tekken 4(funny, cuz the fandom generally gives it a lot of flack, but I thought it was fun at the time.)
    ps3 -> Heavenly Sword(gameplay and graphics are dated, but Andy Serkis his performance is still amazing)
    ps4 -> Bloodborne(Honestly, this has been the best reason ever for me to buy a console. Uncharted 4 and ratchet&clank are fun, but to me, Bloodborne reigns supreme as the ultimate exclusive Sony has right now)

Aside from Bloodborne, none of these game actually impressed me in the long run. Ps2 is still my favourite consoles because of its brilliant gamescatalog(plus the golden JRPG trinity -> P3 FES - P4 - DQ8).

PS3 had some really good stuff like Ni No Kuni, god of war 3 and demon's souls but overall I find it very lacking. The generation itself had brilliant games but most of em were multiplatform that I can enjoy more easily(and better-looking) on pc.

• So jolly that you love Nintendo Land so much, really fun with friends! Phantom Pain was what made me buy a PS4, Uncharted 4 as well but since TPP was released last year I bought it for that. I was very dissapointed with MGSV, but it was worth it in the end. Wierd how it can be both like that, but playing mgsv was pretty magical until it really started to become dissapointing. I've bought alot of other games too like Witcher 3 which blew me away, Uncharted 4 and Overwatch.
    The PS4 I gotta say has a really good library and I'm really satisfied with it, there's never been a shortage of games on it for me and the future looks super bright!

• Thinking back as far as I can:

NES- Ghosts And Goblins
    Genesis- Sonic
    SNES- Super Mario World
    GB- Tetris and Dig-Dug (Pokemon ended up being the ultimate game for that though)
    N64- LoZ-OoT, Doom 64, Killer Instinct Gold
    PS1- Bloody Roar 2 and Mega Man Legends
    GBA- Advanced Wars!
    DC- Phantasy Star Online/ Skies Of Arcadia
    NGC- Metroid Prime
    DS- Advanced Wars:Dual Strike
    PSP- Monster Hunter/ Metal Gear Acid
    3DS- Kid Icarus: Uprising
    PS2- Monster Rancher 3
    XBox- Fable
    PS3- Eye Of Judgement (Yes, this was really cool to my early 20s self)
    360- Gears Of War (Naturally)
    Wii- LoZ:Twilight Princess
    Wii-U- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
    PS4- Battlefield 4