Easy Allies Anime of the Month Club

• y'all should watch Noragami~ It's good fun

• @Yeoubie said in Easy Allies Anime of the Month Club:

y'all should watch Noragami~ It's good fun

I second this. Especially once you hit season 2.

• The only animes I've seen are Pokémon, Speed Racer, and Initial D. I like those, but I don't think I'll be seeing any others. I've seen bits and pieces of the more traditional/Japanese animes, and they're just not my thing. The three I've seen are a lot easier on western eyes than most.

The same goes for movies. I've seen and liked the Miyazaki films that got a lot of traction in the west, including Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo, but the wilder and/or more artistic ones? No, sorry.

• @Oscillator if you're ever looking for more western friendly anime. Check out the Cowboy Bebop dub or the Baccano dub if you haven't already..

• @Yeoubie said in Easy Allies Anime of the Month Club:

@Oscillator if you're ever looking for more western friendly anime. Check out the Cowboy Bebop dub or the Baccano dub if you haven't already..

I apologize for my narrow-mindedness, but it's worse than you think. Even Initial D and Howl's Moving Castle get a bit "heavy" for me at times. Just a quick glance at the two you mentioned, & I'm turned off.

FWIW, I literally hate traditional JRPGs. The only one that I'm interested in playing is Final Fantasy VI, which has a tone that's easy to digest.

• I've just watched the first episode of Netflix's Seven Deadly Sins and, well, wasn't that a right load of rubbish. But I am not a fan of anime to begin with tbh, but I am always willing to be drawn in to one. I liked Tokyo Godfathers.

Does anyone know if there are sub/dub versions of the Corpse Party anime? I loved that PSP game.

• Are we anywhere with this? Because I just started watching Assassination Classroom.... and I have things to say...

• The thread will go up Monday at the latest and July 4th will mark the start of the first viewing session!

• Currently watching through Sailor Moon Crystal at the moment which has been a blast from the past.

• @Sazime Say them. I just watched the finale, and I to, have things to say.

• @Oscillator Cowboy Bebop is one of the most "Western" oriented animes I've ever seen, to the point where It's not really popular in Japan because they don't "get" it (at least in the experiences I've had trying to explain the series to Japanese Anime fans in my family). The very first episode references specifically Robert Rodriguez' film Desperado, Mexico/mexican food, American Blues, Native American lore, Bruce Lee, and etc. Each episode or "session" is different in tone, some being Westerns, some being Hard Boiled detective Noir, some being suspense/horror, some being Gangster movies...

So, I'd put aside your first impression and give that one a shot. It's one of the most popular and widely positively acclaimed Anime series in the west for a reason. If that's too "non-western" for you, all Anime is going to be, and it may just not be for you. :)

• @michemagius I'm not to the finale yet, just through the first few episodes of season 1. :)

• @TokyoSlim Honestly, Comboy Bebop is not for everyone and I wouldn't really call it a very "western" friendly anime. The overall style and structure is still very japanese.

I personally believe that movies are always better as an introduction because they're not huge investments and don't need X amount of episodes to get going. So something like Vampire Hunter D : Bloodlust with English dubs would be a better introduction. It has action, looks good, doesn't get bogged down in dialogue, solid english VA, doesn't have any of the typical anime stuff (like wierd facial expressions), has a straightforward story and is only about 1h30min long.

I mean Big O (basically Batman TAS with a giant robot) was designed to appeal to western audiences and it was a hit in the west, but I wouldn't recommend that people new to anime should start with it.

• @suplextrain I never said it was "for everyone" But I do stand by my recommendation that it's far more Western friendly than most other stuff, and it's a great place to intro into Westernized anime, and that's backed up by it's popularity in the West and the fact that for a whole bunch of people, it's exposure on Adult Swim got them into Anime in the first place. You mention that VHD is only 1h30min long, but an episode of Bebop is on average 24 minutes long and are largely self contained stories. There's an overarching narrative, but as I pointed out previously - each session has a distinctly different vibe, so you can pretty easily skip around or not watch one if it seems like it's not your thing.

• @TokyoSlim Over the span of like 10 years I have tried to get numerous people online and offline into anime and stuff like Cowboy Bebop was seldom a good intro.
    Now I'm not saying it's a terrible introduction or that people can't have gotten into anime that way, but from my experience it isn't ideal. I also brought up a similar show with Big O to further cement this.

Also to reiterate a show like Bebop requires more commitment than a 1h30min movie. Shows can be a slow burn, have a weak start, give the wrong impression early on and so on. A movie is paced differently and VHD : B is overall a pretty well paced movie that is also short, this makes it easier to swallow.
    Now Cowboy Bebop really has its ups and downs (and the beginning isn't particularly great), this is in addition to typical anime stuff I mentioned prior. Additionaly you telling people that they can just skip episodes is already a bad sign and just strengthens my argument, after all wasn't the entire goal to convince people to actually watch anime?

Now I get you you really like Cowboy Bebop, but I think you're taking this a bit too personally. From my experience Cowboy Bebop simply isn't an ideal intro to anime.

• @Sazime You're certainly in for a ride then.

• @suplextrain Maybe not, but it's a great noir series, if someone is ever looking to put more film noir into their life.

• @suplextrain My telling people that they can skip episodes is not a bad thing. I skip episodes of it all the time. I start in the middle. I watch the end first. Whatever. The point is that it's a shorter time commitment than watching an hour and a half long movie. If the current episode you're watching is goofy, skip it. Next episode will be something totally different and as most episodes are self contained, you won't be missing much. If you think part of VHD is goofy, then you think all of it is, and there's nothing else to try or look forward to.

Tons of people have never even seen the whole series and it is in no way hindering their enjoyment of the show.

Not taking it personally at all. Bebop is nearly universally praised as a gateway to Anime. It's super accessible and very westernized. That's one of the reasons it's on nearly everyone's list to recommend to new people interested in Anime. It's fine if you don't like it. I'm not going to say you're wrong, but I don't think it's something you should try to convince other people not to watch.

• I'm totally up for an anime of the month sort of deal. I've watched a some stuff that edges on the mainstream, with a few of the token Death Note/FMA: Brotherhood/Bebop ones that everyone has seen, but considering I got into anime through the uncommon stream of purely my own actions (ie 0% recommendations from friends/internet) I have certainly missed out on some big titles here and there so I'm up for any sort of anime.

That is as long as we're allowed discussion on both the positives and negatives of whatever's chosen without being flamed out of the building - some of us may have had bad experiences in the past of hating stuff before it became cool to hate it [cough] SAO [cough] :P

• @Mr-M said in Easy Allies Anime of the Month Club:

That is as long as we're allowed discussion on both the positives and negatives of whatever's chosen without being flamed out of the building - some of us may have had bad experiences in the past of hating stuff before it became cool to hate it [cough] SAO [cough] :P

Well said :thumbsup: Maybe we could use some general discussion guidelines for the thread? A separate thread for venting? Just something to chew on while we wait.