Where should I start with the Persona series?

• @Whoaness star wars does the same thing but in a trilogy format

• @waleed Each movie is a sequel of its previous one...

I understand what you're saying. The trilogies are self contained, but the trilogies are directly related to each other whereas Persona 3 isn't related to Persona 4, at all, in terms of story.

• @Whoaness (minor spoilers)
    . .
    you do visit tatsumi port island and meet chihiro

• @waleed Cameos don't relate two separate games, otherwise Kingdom Hearts is a sequel to almost all the Final Fantasy games.

• @Whoaness I am trying to say that it is sequel but that it is a non direct one

• @waleed It's not even that either. There is no story relation. FFXV is not a sequel of FFXIII despite sharing a ton of aspects.

People, don't play Persona 3 if you're going to play Persona 4. It's not a sequel!

• Something can be a sequel while still being self-contained. It can tie into previous storylines and such, but it's not a requirement for it to be considered a sequel. Star Wars is a trilogy, it's one thing presented as 3 separate chunks. Yet, they are also sequels. And although Episode 7 is an entirely new thing with new characters and a new storyline, it's also a sequel to Episode 6.

A sequel is merely a story that portrays events that take place in the same fictional universe. It can continue the storyline of a previous work, but it doesn't have to. Persona 4 is a sequel to Persona 3, just like Dark Souls 2 is a sequel to Dark Souls, or GTA V is a sequel to GTA IV.

• @Paper-Lion Dark Souls games share lore, so yes. GTA games share story elements and characters, so yes.
    Persona 3 and 4 don't share lore, story, or even characters.

Also, if someone hasn't watched Star Wars 4-6, they would not have any idea why Luke is important. It isn't an entirely new storyline.

• I would always recommend to start from the very beginning, even if it is true that it is not necessary in order to understand later entries, and i'd say that about any series. I would have to say that both P2 Eternal Punishment and Innocent Sin are the high points of the series, so if you are going to skip ahead, at least try and dip into those two at some point.

• @Whoaness Persona 3 and 4 share both lore and characters, and they're set in the same fictional universe in roughly the same time period.

• @Paper-Lion said in Where should I start with the Persona series?:

@Whoaness Persona 3 and 4 share both lore and characters, and they're set in the same fictional universe in roughly the same time period.

They don't share anything except being in Japan!

• Everyone's pretty much in agreement that you should start with P3 and P4. Since you said earlier you plan on getting a Vita, you are in luck as ALL the persona games (except a few spin-offs) are playable on there (including Persona 1 and the Persona 2 duology if you ever want to play those..... as archaic as they kinda are though, they are good games in their own right and are worth a try). Persona 4 Golden is definitely the preferred version of 4, so you're good there, but there is some debate as to whether Persona 3 Portable (the PSP version) or Persona 3 FES (a remake version of 3 with added elements and stuff for the PS2) is better.

Basically, Persona 3 FES has you play the game like P4 where you move your character around in the overworld, has animated cutscenes, and you have this extra bonus thing called "The Answer" that is kinda like a eplogue to the game. Persona 3 Portable on the other hand has none of those things: you have a top down view of the locations with icons in a sort of point-and-click navigation, all cutscenes use in-game models (because there wasn't enough space on the PSP cart for anime cutscenes sadly), and the epilogue was completely removed from the game (it is important to note that "The Answer" is just a total grind fest that can add another 50 hours to the game..... (some epilogue huh?) and if you don't play the way it wants you to play you will experience countless deaths and do-overs and suffer greatly (personal experience) either grind several times before fighting a boss or just skip it and watch all cutscenes on YouTube)

Persona 3 Portable on the other hand has a female protagonist option that has minor changes to the overall plot but changes almost all social links (interactions with party and supporting characters) to completely different people, allows you to fully control your party members, and adds features from 4 (because this port was released after P4 vanilla) such as jobs to earn cash and a fast forward button (and I think a skip button for cutscenes). Persona 3 FES has none of these things: only male protagonist, cannot control party members (can only tell them to "Support" or "Go for Knockdowns" or "Heal" and they just do their own thing for their turn) and the AI can be frustrating at times, and the only way to earn money in P3 was through battles (which wasn't too bad in my personal opinion).

Since these games are so different, my suggestion is to play Persona 3 FES on a PS2 or PS3 (it's only $10 on the PSN and $5.00 when its on sale) if that's possible in order to play the game the way it was originally supposed to be played, and then play Persona 3 Portable as the female protagonist to get the full experience of all the different stuff this version has to offer :)

Persona 4 Golden definitely should be the intro though. It's easier and it's more light-hearted. Persona 3 is definitely more challenging and darker, and Persona 5 is supposedly going to be in the middle in terms of both difficulty and tone, so that'll properly prep you for it (and the other games in the Megami Tensei franchise in case you ever want to get into those as well lol)

• @Whoaness said in Where should I start with the Persona series?:

@Paper-Lion said in Where should I start with the Persona series?:

@Whoaness Persona 3 and 4 share both lore and characters, and they're set in the same fictional universe in roughly the same time period.

They don't share anything except being in Japan!

Except they do. They're set in the same universe, you even visit a location from P3 in P4 and meet a character from P3. Kanji also at one point makes a reference to one of the social links from P3. There's also a lot of theories about the origin of shadows that connects both games, that I won't go into, because it's spoilerific.

Also Igor.

In P4, the events of P3 have already taken place. What happens in that game is a part of the world of Persona 4, just like what happens in Return of the Jedi is a part of the world of The Force Awakens. Persona 4 is set in the same world as Persona 3, only 2 years after the events of P3. They also all meet in Persona 4 Arena and Persona 4 Arena Ultimax. And before you even say anything, yes they're both canon.

Also, pay attention to what Elizabeth says to Margaret about the P3 protagonist in P4.

It's a sequel, dude. Stop arguing.

• @Paper-Lion The stories aren't related! Just because you meet cameo appearances means nothing. Igor is just a token mechanic character just like Cid in Final Fantasy. He doesn't go off and tell Narukami "Oh, there are these heroes just like you in this other city that shoot their heads instead of wearing glasses."

And Persona 4 Arena is a completely different, unrelated, spin-off game. It has nothing to do with Persona 4 in terms of story. I mean, what's next? Are you going to say all the Fire Emblem games are sequels of Shin Megami Tensei because of TMS?

All of these details don't matter. It all comes down to a single point. You don't need Persona 3 to understand Persona 4. They are not sequels.
    Stop scamming people into thinking they need to play Persona 3 or Persona 4 before Persona 5.

• It really depends on how much time you have. Persona 3 is really excellent and is definitely worth playing - but if you're strapped for time and can only play one I would pick Persona 4 (Golden if you can). But I think you'd appreciate the series more if you played 3, 4, then 5.

• @Whoaness There's a difference between saying they're "unrelated" and "they're sequels."

Are they "related"? Sure, as @Paper-Lion has pointed out. Clearly they are in the same universe and chronologically speaking, the events of Persona 4 do in fact take place after Persona 3. The spin-off games further cement this fact.

Do you need to play Persona 3 before playing Persona 4? Hell no. I even said in my own response above that I feel you should play 4 before 3, and I don't think @Paper-Lion was suggesting that you had to absolutely play them in order. Just wanted to clarify for people that ALL the persona games (even 1 and 2 duology) all take place in the same world just at different time periods.

• I chose to play Persona 4 (PS2 Classic off the PS Store) on Medium and I'm usually quite good at most video games, but I find that I'm almost always out of health by like the 3rd floor. I'm barely even into the game but I've died a few times and I hate this save system. I wanna go back and play on Easy but my goodness will playing that 2-3h prologue suck again.

P4:G is outta the question cause I don't have a Vita and I hear PS TV is disco so that means it'll probably cost a lot now.

Still..... I wanna PLAY THIS GAME!

• I just started Persona 3 and it totally holds up. It starts a little slow and seems generic at first, but the relationships get interesting around level 5-7.

Tips for starting that game:

• Go to the dungeon a lot to start, then less frequently when it gets easier.
    • Press square to change the dungeon music.
    • Focus on social links before stats and don't waste time on characters you don't like (Sundays are precious).