LGBTQ+ Allies!

• I noticed my question as to what Ian's sexual orientation was deleted. Not sure why, as it was a genuine question.

Despite @logic__error saying this is not somewhere to "speculate on the preferences of the 9", I think it is important, as it can be difficult for people to find others to identify with in the industry.

Also, while the intention of this thread was for "LGBTQ+, not people who are allies of LGBTQ+ people", remember to give the community as a whole the respect it deserves. EZA is a very inclusive place and in my experience, you're only welcomed by others if you're welcoming yourself. I understand however that it's important for people in any kind of minority group to have somewhere safe to share and discuss commonalities with peers that not everyone else relates to.

• @Alex840 Finding others to identify with is great, having representation is great, speculating about someone's gender or sexual orientation or trying to out them is not. If you're genuinely curious try asking Ian directly. If you are uncomfortable asking the person themselves then you already know why it is wrong to speculate behind their back. Ian has said numerous times they like girls and have been in relationships with women, if they wanted us know know anything beyond that they would have said as much.

As to the follow up, @alexwhiteplays said in the OP, allies to the LGBTQ+ community are great and aren't forbidden from participating in discussion but I think they were trying to avoid it getting off topic or being a chorus of "I'm a straight ally but I support the LGBTQ+ community!" and since that was starting to happen I felt it needed to be reiterated. Reassurance from allies is wonderful but it is easy for a thread like this to get overwhelmed by notes of support instead of discussion about LGBTQ+ experiences, inclusive games, inclusive creators, and actual members of the community feeling like they can share a little more about themselves. Literally no one is being excluded from discussion, no one is telling you to go away, you're just being asked to stay on topic.

You say you understand the need for having a safe space but right before that made a condescending statement implying that this thread is disrespecting the EZA community, ignoring the welcoming nature of the community, and being unwelcoming to non LGBTQ+ members of the community. Can you see how this entire paragraph is at odds with itself?

• @logic__error Brittany I'm really sorry if I came off as condescending, that wasn't my intention. I hate the thought that I've derailed this thread in any way. I just meant that no one should feel they HAVE to resort to going somewhere specific. Reading back my last post, I guess it wasn't worded in the best way possible. These things are always difficult to communicate via text.

Love & Respect (genuinely)

• @Alex840 It is very easy for intention to get lost in text and we all interpret tone differently! Thank you for actually taking a step back on things and attempting to see where I was drawing issue from. Interactions like this are honestly why the EZA community IS the best around!

Love & Respect!

• Just found this thread. Very happy it exists. My name is Rick, I'm a 25 year old dude from LA and I'm gay. Was very pleasantly surprised with the number of LGBTQ folk in this community. I made a sizable group of friends that I chat with often from GT and EZA and turned out literally half of us were gay.

As for related material to the subject, I found Kaine from the original Nier to be a wonderful LGBTQ+ character, Intersex while identifying as female, and how this information is doled out is very subtle and heartfelt, not defining her character, but being an important aspect of who she is and why she is in the position she is when you find her in the game. Anyway, stay classy y'all. Keep the conversation going!

• @logic__error may i ask what cisgender means?

• @FF7Cloud Cisgender is a term for someone who identifies as the gender they were assigned at birth, basically the opposite of transgender :)

• I just finished watching the latest Survivor episode and it is momentous. The headlines and the soundbytes have ruined what i feel is one of the best moment ever on tv. I implore everyone to watch it fully (10+ minute tribal council at the end of episode 7) any way you can by download or their website but do not watch clips on youtube. I feel it encapsulates a lot of issues involving dealing with such a sensitive topic and anyone would stand to learn a lot by watching it.

• @rickemrobo Kaine is great! They handled that well. The media coverage on it though... I remember some real uncomfortable moments at the time but that's fairly par for the course I guess.

• Nice thread! My name is Thea, I am from Norway, and I am personally also on the spectrum (representing the B (though pan is more accurate) and the T in the LGBTQ+). I heard Kaine was a good character, though I never played the original Nier. Honestly I wish there better representation in games without it being shoehorned in. I remember Erica from Catherine and how she was handled in game just left a bad taste in my mouth. Definitely going to look into Night in the Woods; seems like my type of game.

• @pinecone I'm really not into Survivor at all (or reality-ish TV in general) but I caught murmurs of this episode on the net-wind and wound up watching it on CBS' website (for anyone curious, it's listed as S34 Ep6: What Happened on Exile, Stays on Exile). Was definitely a powerful moment, and seeing people's reactions filled me with all the best fuzzy feelings.

Would definitely recommend watching at least the last half or so of the episode (when the council thing starts) to anyone interested, even if you don't care about survivor. It's free on CBS' website as of typing this, but not sure how long it'll stay up there.

Also, hi everyone! I've only recently (last 6 months) come out to myself and some others as a lesbian trans woman. Unfortunately, when it comes to video games, I have yet to be really interested in any that actually have good/any representation. The original Mass Effect trilogy being possibly the only exception that I've played so far (and it wasn't exactly great there, if we're being honest). I've heard Persona 4 makes a decent attempt though, and after getting utterly consumed by P5 that might be one that's on the horizon for me.

• Love & Respect!

I also represent the B and T of the spectrum and am happy to be part of such an inclusive and jolly community at this :)

• @tamaster92 I'm glad people are still finding this thread! :D

@GalacticSugarPunk I haven't gotten enough into the Shin Megami Tensei or Persona series to say but I do know they did a pretty awful job with a trans character on Catherine. Won't tell anyone to not play it but I think it is better to know going in to the game. I hope they did a better job in that department with Persona 4.

Also, if you're looking for more specific details on the character in question from Catherine:

http://catherine.wikia.com/wiki/Erica_Anderson

• @logic__error Yeah, Catherine isn't the best in that department. But I can definitely say that Persona 4 is a lot better. If you're looking for perfect representation of characters that are solid in their identities you won't find it. But what P4 really shines with is showing the uncertainty and self loathing that comes along with exploring your sexuality as a teenager. As for trans representation, it's arguable whether that is the main issue at hand or if it's more commentary on sexism within the police force. Either way the characters are well developed and likeable. I think a lot of people can see themselves within the characters.

• @michemagius That's good to hear! I watched my partner play some of P4 (and P3) but not enough to get a good feeling for the more complex story aspects.