Would you recommend the Atelier Games?

• Looking to get some new RPG goodness and keep seeing all manner of these pop up on Amazon... are they worth a punt? If so which one would you recommend or if not - point me in the way of a great RPG please :D

• Depends on what you like.

Generally it's a series that's...

• Light on story.
    • Has charming characters.
    • Relatively basic combat system.
    • Very crafting heavy.
    • Requires some time management (you have a set time to complete tasks).
    • Has a lot of focus on "cute little girls" (so if you like macho men, not the series for you).
    • Good music.
    • You mostly craft, grind, explore and talk to people.

So if all that sounds good to you, then it can be worth checking out. I personally think that Escha & Logy (avaliable on PS3/Vita, both physical and on the PS Store) is the best place to start for numerous reasons:

• You can play as both the more traditional Atelier female protag or a more traditional JRPG male protag.
    • The time management is more lenient than in many of the other games.
    • One of the overall more refined Atelier games.
    • Easy to get a hold of.

When it comes to other RPGs, it's difficult to say what you'd like or not, but I can throw some out there. Just ask if you want to know more about them.

PS3: Resonance of Fate ^, South Park: Stick of Truth ^~, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen ^~, Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes ^, The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel ^.
    PS4: Valkyria Chronicles Remasted ^, Divinity: Original Sin ^~, Darksiders 2 ^~, Disgaea 5 ^.
    NDS: Radiant Historia, Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals, Rune Factory 3, Devil Survivor, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn.
    PC: Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Alpha Protocol, Ys: Ark of Napishtim, Ys: Oath in Felghana.

^= On PS Store
    ~= Also on PC

• One video.... (Protip: CRANK. THE. VOLUME. When watching.)

Youtube Video

/Thread

• @Carlos That was awesome! - Though shame my PS2 is broked :(

• Maybe you should check out the latest one, Atelier Sophie.

alt text

• I enjoy them a lot, they have very likeable characters and tons of interaction with the characters. The games are very much driven by character interaction and item crafting more than story and combat.

that said, I would recommend Atelier Totori for a good story and Atelier Escha and Logy for the best combat

the time limits in Escha and Logy are very lax so it's a good one to start with. Shallie and Sophie have no time limits but I dont rate them as highly as Totori and Escha

• The Atelier series is like the comfort food of video games. They're just really relaxing to play through. I feel...if you're the type of person who can get into slice of life anime, you'll probably enjoy the Atelier games.

• @Sieghardt Rorona was my favorite.

• @Minamik said in Would you recommend the Atelier Games?:

@Sieghardt Rorona was my favorite.

I love it too, especially plus, but the constant pressure to deliver every 3 months plus it being the most open, freeform game in the series are why I wouldnt recommend it as much for a first game as Totori

• I enjoy them. Pretty fun and light games for the most part. Atelier Iris, the first one, it my favourite but I'm not a huge fan of the newer ones. Mostly because there are a few that have a 3 year time limit. I just finished Atelier Sophie the other day and I liked it. I have to say that the most of the tasks are easy enough to finish. The crafting system and battle systems are fun but not challenging. Honestly they're just enjoyable so if you're looking for something a bit more serious and complicated this isn't the series to go too.

If you're looking for a good series Tales of is fantastic imo. I would say they're all worth playing even though I don't like Zestiria personally.

• Not if haven't played the best in the biz or even some b-tier stuff since this series is strictly c-tier. They are harmless enough it's just with so many good jrpg's out there it would be a disservice to the genre.

• @pinecone said in Would you recommend the Atelier Games?:

Not if haven't played the best in the biz or even some b-tier stuff since this series is strictly c-tier. They are harmless enough it's just with so many good jrpg's out there it would be a disservice to the genre.

I've played almost every JRPG ever made and I'd strongly disagree, at it's best the Atelier series is absolutely top tier. I'd hold up Mana Khemia to anything

• I'd highly recommend the series. The difficulty comes with recommending where you start. The Iris trilogy is a bit of a different beast, and while I would still highly recommend all three, as well as the two Mana Khemia games, I would separate them from a recommendation of the Atelier series in general.

Ignoring Atelier Annie for now, your basically tasked with choosing one of seven games to start with, eight if you really want to go that far. To be perfectly honest with you, I'd ALWAYS recommend someone start from the start, no matter what the series, so I'd really want to see you at least pick up the original Rorona first; though I do think Plus is probably the better game, I just don't like skipping stuff and I feel the original is at least different enough.

I do however recognise how daunting the above suggestion is, so really it would boil down to two realistic recommendations from me:

1. Start with Rorona Plus and if you like it, pick up the rest of the Arland trilogy to see it though. I would recommend the European trilogy release usually, but it houses the original Rorona and not plus sadly. As far as I'm concerned, this is Atelier as it should be. People might like to complain about time limits, but at the end of the day, the game is built around those mechanics; it's what makes the series unique, and because of such, it's an integral part of making Atelier .... well, Atelier.

2. Start with Atelier Sophie. This is the easiest recommendation. It's the first in the series to release on current hardware and it starts what I presume will be a while new trilogy. No prior knowledge of the series is needed with this one and it eases you in gently. You also get to play this game at your own leisure as there are no time limits or deadlines, and while I do think that it strips away at least a chunk of what makes the Atelier series its own, this could just as easily suit you better.