What games are going to Shrek? (podcast game)

• I really liked the idea of the Shrek question during the latest podcast.

Basically, what current games that are loved now do you think will age poorly and lose their positive reception over the years?

I personally feel that Uncharted will be largely forgotten down the line. It's high praise is almost completely targeted at the presentation and visuals. Time is not kind to either of these aspects. The other aspects are generally less than great with these games.

• CoD & BF. I think everyone is more or less sick of them already, though the newest entries from both series look interesting, even for a non-fan like me.

Also, I would say Bethesda RPG's (Elder Scrolls and Fallout).
    As much as I love them, they are definitely going downhill. I would still probably play Skyrim and New Vegas a lot once that happens, because I love those games, but I think gaming community in general is getting more and more sick of them.

• I was actually shouting Dark Souls at the screen before I heard Brad say it (props to him for mentioning a game he loves) so let's see... Assassin's Creed. I think it fits the example very well. First game/movie is well received and the audience is hungry for more. Second game/movie comes out and everyone is blown away. Then another, then another... and eventually diminishing returns start kicking in hard. It seems like the entire industry groans now when a new Assassin's Creed is announced. The only way Ubisoft can truly stop this franchise from tanking is having the next Assassin's Creed game star Shrek.

Just like Brandon did, I would like to point out I never appreciated Assassin's Creed and never will.

• All Telltale games, I think Minecraft story mode is already doing it

I also think vast swathes of very similar "ubisoft game" open world design games like Far Cry, Assassin's Creed etc etc will just be forgotten to the mists of time, they probably wont even be mocked though, their blandness will just make them dissipate like a bad dream we've woken up from

• Hmm, wonder if I understood the question wrong. Is it games that are now considered good and are seen as something bad in a few years or was it as I understood it in the podcast, games that going to be devalued by every consequent sequel (or reboot)?
    Well in my opinion we don’t even have to wait. I think with Sonic you have a game that maybe isn’t so great now when you play it without any nostalgia and surely has gone to shit with most iteration. And good lord the character design is shitty as hell and this even before there were female bats with huge titties.
    For the OP: Uncharted still has some good characters, character interaction, voice acting, animations that surely not all games in the future can match and an overall entertaining story. That alone is enough to make it worth playing and it’s not going to change in the years to come. At least I hope it isn’t. And for me a good narrative is one of the most important things in a video game and good stories don’t age.
    Anyway, I kind of hate the question because even as I hope that video games are still evolving that doesn’t mean we can’t look back and find at least something interesting and worthwhile in older games like pong, pac-man, even full motion video games … and that should be true even for CoD or (especially) Assassins Greed. At the very least they are a product representative of their time and technology.

• @Ikataishou I think the question entails a little bit of both the qualities you mentioned; it had to have enough quality initially to make people interested, but with hindsight and future releases in the franchise not elevating the property, it falls to the wayside. I however don't think the intention of the original question posed in the podcast (or the one here) is to say we can't appreciate things in the past, it's just certain things end up feeling stale over the passage of time. The Shrek comparison is perfect because it just... fits in a weird way. That IP was everywhere and now it's just a joke. Toy Story came out 6 years earlier, had probably a larger fervor overall, but still isn't looked down on now. Why? Pretty good sequels (well... mostly, Toy Story 2 was okay) and it created something timeless by not dating itself. It made a great story, which as you've said, those don't age. Shrek shows its age because a lot of the jokes are references to the period of time when the film was released.

When I was a kid, I owned the Pokemon movie soundtrack on cassette and I listened to it constantly. Vitamin C making a song for Pokemon? HELL YES! I could potentially revisit that soundtrack now and I'd enjoy it on some nostalgic level, or realize it was a product of the times, but I can still admit it's pop trash. And in the waste bin labelled as such, nothing takes up more space than Shrek, Smash Mouth, and eventually... Assassin's Creed.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in What games are going to Shrek? (podcast game):

I was actually shouting Dark Souls at the screen before I heard Brad say it (props to him for mentioning a game he loves)

Right? I felt exactly the same way. I'll reuse my post from the Podcast thread:

I really respect Brad for proffering up Dark Souls as the "Shrek of the 2010s."

There's a few distinct game styles competing for the action game crown right now; Souls, Nioh, Monster Hunter, and Platinum's offering with the exception of Vanquish (ignoring their filler Activision titles). Holla if I'm forgetting any, but my point is this: Souls is a fad. I don't think any reasonable onlooker could describe its rise in popularity as anything other than meteoric.

With the vacuum left by Souls' absence in the coming years, fans will begin seeking out replacements. Platinum's Nier: Automata is coming out in Japan next February and Capcom's next Monster Hunter title won't be too far out, I'd imagine (look for the coming of the NX at dawn on the fifth day). Nioh would obviously be the least adventurous of new games for Souls fans to fall into, but even that has a totally different combat system than Souls.

In fact, these series each play very differently. I think it will be very interesting to see which ones people accept and reject in the coming years, and how often people are saying "Dark Souls" in a couple years' time.

• I can agree that the Dark Souls games may not be mentioned much in the future since its somewhat a niche series, but I don't think they'll lose they're positive reception. I could see the series becoming a cult classic or forgotten masterpiece type thing. I don't know.. I think they might be unique enough to have earned their place in gaming history. Especially since it didn't overstay its welcome like AC or CoD

• Eh, there have been roughly as many Souls and Souls-like games as there have been main franchise AC and CoD titles. In terms of ruining other AAA video games, I'd even argue that the culture surrounding Dark Souls made something like the lack of any health regen in Witcher 3 stand.

• I think "addiction based XP" style of multiplayer will be the Shrek games. Their substance is so reliant on unlocks as opposed to actually enjoying the game. +10-Syndrome if you will.

• COD4 and sequels
    • Borderlands

Whereas I used to play SOCOM II, Halo 3 and TF2 because the gameplay was amazing and I wanted to win. Those games are generally ageless.

• some games that already went to shrek :(

Twisted Metal
    Red faction
    Lost Planet
    Crysis
    Fable
    SOCOM

Games that are going shrek

Tell Tale games - the magic will fade away someday along with its old tech engine
    Dead Rising
    Silent hill - Great series! but a little rough around the edges when trying to replay them now
    Sonic series - still hoping im not right about this one and it will return to glory one day

• @PixelRadio Was Lost Planet every that popular/well received to begin with? Also, holy shit, yes to Dead Rising. I totally hadn't thought of that as an option but you're absolutely right.

• Far Cry. Or any series that fits Ubisoft's "taking over towers/outposts in an open-world" mold. That whole genre (or sub-genre I guess) needs to start doing something new. Horizon's scenario looks so cool but if the core gameplay is what I just described without any new twists, I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed.

Edit: Also, the Arkham series. Rocksteady is very wise to leave the series now because it really feels like they've done everything they can and the series has run its course. My fear is that Warner Bros. are still going to keep churning them out by passing them on to a B-Team like WB Montreal.

• @PixelRadio said in What games are going to Shrek? (podcast game):

some games that already went to shrek :(

Twisted Metal
    Red faction
    Lost Planet
    Crysis
    Fable
    SOCOM

Games that are going shrek

Tell Tale games - the magic will fade away someday along with its old tech engine
    Dead Rising
    Silent hill - Great series! but a little rough around the edges when trying to replay them now
    Sonic series - still hoping im not right about this one and it will return to glory one day

Went back and played Twisted Metal 1,2,3 and Black and it holds up well. SOCOM I and II are timeless imo, and Fable 1 and 2 are enjoyable but still not aging great.

DR is spot on but I find it fun still.

• But after 3, The Journey, and Legends, if Xbox stops the franchise now, Fable is not going to remembered poorly.

And didn't we all realize last year with Life is Strange that we don't have to tolerate Telltale's short episodes, janky graphics, and passe writing anymore?

• Banned

I feel like every Open World Action/Rpg prior to the TW3, FFXV and BoTW will be looked back on and people will wonder why those games had such little effort put into graphics and gameplay.

• @Art i agree the quality and polish is just so much better then something like skyrim

• Banned

@SEEGAAAA I think the Arkham series will be looked back at fondly, but maybe only half of it. Asylum/City are great, but Origins/Knight are both kinda mediocre. Playing Origins just last night I actually prefer it over Knight.

• @Art I agree with you on the Arkham games. I can't picture a point where Asylum and City aren't remembered as great games.
    And I totally prefer Origin to Knight. It didn't do anything new, so it was more of the same. But when the same is so much fun, I didn't mind it. Knight might have taken a few more risks, but that just meant more batmobile. And it's story was certainly the weakest.