Persona 5 (Imported)

• So finished this recently and was wondering if any allies have been playing as well?
    Also happy to answer any questions in a spoiler free fashion.

• No questions, would just like to state that I hate you very much, and I'm unbelievably jealous of you.

And any spoilers will be met with infinite rage :wink: .

• I have been waiting for this thread! Not played it yet but I've been watching some streams and am totally impressed. What's your overall thought on the game?

• @bard91 said in Persona 5:

No questions, would just like to state that I hate you very much, and I'm unbelievably jealous of you.

And any spoilers will be met with infinite rage :wink: .

Was a long road until this day. Persona gave me the motivation and drive to learn the language started really drilling Kanji about the same time P4G hit in Japan. :P I can only say if people start now they're probably going to be ready when P6 hits.

@michemagius said in Persona 5:

I have been waiting for this thread! Not played it yet but I've been watching some streams and am totally impressed. What's your overall thought on the game?

Well first and foremost don't expect anything crazy. It's still Persona, P5 doesn't introduce anything crazy that you wouldn't expect from a gameplay perspective but in my humble opinion it doesn't need to. It just refines the Persona experience to make it more smooth, faster and stylish and it all comes together and makes playing the game feel a lot better. Gameplay is just improved all around I'd say the jump overall feels about as big as going from the original P3 to P4G(to me that's quite ton of refinement). It really can't be understated how all the little things come together and make the turn based combat and general system tinkering really nice. Slinks also have gameplay elements where unlocking certain ranks really brings game changing benefits.

Story is hard to talk about it's so subjective what speaks to everyone and what doesn't but I will say the themes they put at the center of this game resonated with me a lot. Playing through the story made me go through quite the range of emotions.
    Also SLinks and characters in general are pretty grounded this time around.

For me personally this the best Persona game to date, so definitely my GOTY.
    But I totally expect that this will not be everyone's opinion the same way some people prefer P3 over P4 cause the P3 main story just speak more to them despite P4 being superior gameplay wise and having far better writing for the Slinks(like do people remember the terrible P3 wanna bang my teacher and french caricature Slinks?).

So all in all I think people that just wanted more new Persona after 8 years will be extremely happy. People that wanted the series to take a leap similar to what P2 to P3 was might end up slightly disappointed.

Also I finished the game with 100% Slinks on my first playthrough blind, meaning that if you're optimizing it's lenient enough that you can do it P4G full 100% runs in comparison were way more strict.

• All I want to know is, are the dungeons more interesting/less frustrating than in previous games?

• @TokyoSlim

I really liked the dungeons. Don't expect dark souls level design or anything sophisticated like that. Instead every dungeon has a very strong theme and is hand crafted and has unique gameplay gimmicks to them + way more story events interwoven into them. For me it was quite exciting going through each of them the first time around. They also feel quite different from each other.

Only thing for me was and this has more to do with the way I played is that the dungeons are pretty long and since I was optimizing for a 100% Slink run I tried to finish most dungeons in the shortest time possible.

Aside from the main story dungeons there is a randomly generated dungeon with tons of floors but the story gates your progress through that one + rushing through floors is rather painless. Personally it never came close to wearing me out like Tartarus.

Also wanted to mention the "stealth" elements. Listening to people talk about them I believe they misinterpret the gameplay intention behind them criticizing how they're kind of lackluster as stealth mechanics. And I would fully agree with that but to be honest I don't think that what they are intended to be. They are more like tools for players to speed up the pace traversing and getting into encounters(no more time wasting trying to walk behind enemies to get the initiative hit, the flow from enemy to enemy is just way more fluid). The stealth is just kind of the how its presented. That said the context sensitivity for this system is not quite perfect and sometimes it won't quite do as you intended to so it can kind of put you in Assassin Creed like situations because of that.

• @Holundrian

For me personally this the best Persona game to date, so definitely my GOTY.

Best game of all time confirmed.

I'm not going over most of your posts, because I wanna know as little as possible when I get ghe game, but I noticed that particular sentence.

I did consider playing the japanese version, since I believe that putting some effort into it, and with google translate at hand, I would be able to understand most of what would be happening, but I didn't want to hamper my experience with the game, so I'll have to wait another 133 days :cry: . (I've been studying japanese for a little over 2 years)

• Just wanted to share something quick with all of the Allies not fortunate enough to speak japanese fluently.

We are half way done through the wait!!!

The release date of the english version was announced on june 7th, meaning that at the time we had to wait for 252 days to get the game in our hands. What seems like an eternity later, we have 126 days left to go. So for any other allies waiting for P5 as much as myself, time will not move any faster, but we are getting closer and closer!!!

That's it for now, just wanted to share this weird fact that I've been keeping a track of :grin:

• Challenge mode hype in 2 days.
    Too bad that no other allies seem to be playing. Going to be interesting if the mode forces people to optimize way more. Hard mode was kind of pretty easy once you get enough Personas to really build out your kit from there it's just a question of resources(money). Since I feel like I have a really nice grip on the systems I hope the difficulty at least forces frequent Persona switches.

• @Holundrian I didn't know there was going to be such a thing, may be interesting, although for the most part I've just played the games on easy after the first playthrough.

• I wish I could play it, but I'm not going to spoil myself. I'll wait until Feb 14th and enjoy it together with everyone else. I truly believe games are best as a shared experience. When everyone is playing and talking about the same game, it's magical.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.