PSVR Hype???

• The Playstation VR comes out this month in just less than two weeks. Is anyone else hyped for this?

I've gone through a range of emotions for this thing. It was not on my radar during preview stages. Then it piqued my interest when EZA discussed their Batman impressions. I then demoed it and, though not mind blown, I could see the potential. Once I found out Driveclub VR would be a launch title I was instantly hyped. The thought of being in the driver's seat and being able to look all around you sounds amazing.

Being Batman, dog fighting in space, and racing sports cars are all dreams come true for me. The Battlezone I played was really fun too. So I'm pretty much sold for trying to get one at launch.

Of course I don't have a PSVR pre-ordered, but my hype level just keeps rising every minute. Is it going to bomb? Is this going to sell out? Do I need to camp out to get one on launch day? All of these questions and I feel like no one else is talking or thinking about it as much as I am.

I know there are other VR threads but I just wanted to see everyone else's thoughts on the upcoming launch.

L&R

• Global Moderator

I have had a PSVR preordered for a LONG time! I am so so excited! its going to be absolutely awesome! and 100ft Robot golf will be so much fun!

• @Lotias Nice! Yes, that game totally caught my eye. It reminds me that the launch line up for the PSVR seems surprisingly strong. I'll wait on reviews for the most part but there's a lot of launch titles I could see myself getting.

• I'm a little in the same boat as you Matt except I'm not as excited. I don't have one preordered cuz I already have a camera and two move controllers. I do want one, but I'm kinda just going to see if I can ever get one through normal methods, i.e. walking in and picking one up. If so I might go for it, but I'm also not crazy about the price (I know $400 is actually on the cheaper end for VR but its still a good chunk of change). I also havent gotten to try it yet, I did try a friends Oculus and was blown away then, that was at least like 3 years ago.
    That all being said, I am the kinda of person that feeds off of hype as well and there really hasn't been a tonof it like you said. Maybe when people actually have their hands on it and I see how all the allies are digging it that might push me into getting one. As of right now, I'm taking a wait and see approach and im okay with that.

• @TheMarcV Yeah, I hear you. It wouldn't kill me to wait either. I really have no shortage of things to play. Something that totally took me over the edge today was reading that launch bundle is only available for this first round at launch. I only have one really old Move controller and I'm not sure how much charge it can really hold. I got it used with my PS3.

So I'm really interested in the launch bundle. And I've been trying to find the best way to get it. Mind you, I want it but I'm not willing to camp out for it. The most I plan on doing is going to a store at opening before work. I might check a couple of stores that day, but if it's sold out then it's sold out.

So I've found for B&M my best bet may be this low key Walmart near me. I called to see what their plans are. If they know how much stock they're planning on getting and when they'd start selling. The guy in electronics sounded fairly old and says, "PlayStation what??? You mean 'V' as in 'Victor'??" He had no idea what I was talking about, lol. So I don't think I have to worry about that guy setting one aside for himself.

Another reason I'd love to get one now is because I'm expecting my first kid soon....very soon. Due less than a week from the release date. I'm anticipating my game time is going to get cut rather significantly. So launch week may be the only time I could get some solid play time in if I want to.

• I have a preorder and I'm going to test it out this weekend. I will report back on my experience.

• I got to try it a few times and I think it's going to be pretty solid.
    I just don't know if it will have legs. It's a mindblowing experience in short bursts, but it might get old.

• If I could buy the bundle with the camera and the move controllers, I would be excited, But for some strange reason, that's not available in my country. I really don't understand, why they are making it this hard to get a piece of hardware?

• I have almost no hype for the launch of PSVR. Even if VR is the real deal, the 1st gen will be rocky. I'll wait till the nausea factor is overcome, the resolution/graphical fidelity is improved, and they start making real games (instead of novelties that can only be played in short bursts).

• @ib0show sounds great, looking forward to your hottake

@TheHashtag0nist Yeah, definitely the odds are against it. I can't think of an unconventional peripheral that's managed to stand the test time. Hopefully there's enough people out there that can make some killer apps that are unique and genuinely fun experiences. Either way, I like to hold onto and collect gaming relics so this will have a place either on my desk or on my shelf.

@MonsTruz I hear you. Sony's launch strategy for this thing is definitely questionable. I'm much more excited for this than I was for PS4, PS3, or XBOX360. But the only one feeding me hype has been myself haha! With how pre-orders sold out so quickly, I thought this thing would be hot. But after gauging other people's interest level, I'm thinking they may not even sell out of the short supply they have.

@RockDoctor Lucky for me, I'm not as susceptible to motion sickness as others are. I didn't feel any discomfort from my demo. It definitely helps that most of the games are cockpit based. I don't know how they'll ever achieve onfoot action without getting terribly disoriented. My biggest fear is that they follow the 1st gen up too quickly. If they came out with the next iteration in the same time frame they pulled together PS4 Pro and Xbox S, I would be supremely bummed. Only time and sales will tell.

• @matt Yeah, if they would let me, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I'm one of the people with a good education, a full time job, and zero responsibilities, so someone they hope will buy this thing. But when I can only get half the product, what's the point? Sure I could track a camera down, and perhaps a couple of move controllers, but just let me buy the damn bundle.

• @MonsTruz Yeah, I was just telling my wife if I miss out on the launch bundle, chances are I won't pick it up until a lot later. I would like to eventually have the full experience but I'm not too eager to spend an extra $60 for the camera and $100 for two move controllers just to play the little Batman game. And I wouldn't pay $40 for PSVR Worlds.

If that were the case there's a very good chances I would just try to pick it up second hand from someone with buyer's remorse. Which kinda sucks cause that'd be one less sale for Sony.

• Yeah, it seems like most of us are in the, "well if I can walk in and find one, sure. " camp. I do wonder how many are going to be available to just pick up. Like I think Matt mentioned before, and im in the same boat, Im not going to camp out for this thing. It seems fun, but its also the fall gaming session, I'm not exactly hurting to find stuff to fill my free time with.

• so amidst all of my hype I managed to have a moment of clarity....am I naïve to believe that the launch bundle won't be available in the future like Sony has stated? Maybe not specifically the launch bundle, but they will have similar bundles in the future, right?

• I don't have excitement for VR. It really can't be used effectively in most genres and I feel it's more of a gimmick than a step forward. It doesn't help that the added immersion of putting you inside the game comes at the cost of visual immersion and over $400.

• @Kaminski Yep, that's a good point. It seems very limited for existing genres. It seems like people would love to play FPS in VR, but I assume that experience would be very difficult to execute successfully.

I'm sure a lot early VR games will exploit the novelty a bit too much to be enjoyable. I hope some creative devs come along and create new IPs or new genres for the VR platform. I think there's a lot of potential.

I hope to see devs use the tech in a more nuanced clever way. I liked the BattleZone demo because all it did was add immersive awareness to a normal tank game. And then I hope to see someone come along and make something I never knew I wanted.

The reviews are starting to trickle in. Very lukewarm it seems. Looks like the launch lineup is turning out to be pretty weak. I wish people mentioned more about Driveclub VR. I'm looking forward to that and the Battlefront DLC the most.

• I find Jim Sterling's video on PS VR to be quite interesting...

Youtube Video

Now I'm actually really interested on PS VR, whereas previously I was mildly intrigued by it.

• @Kaminski
    Just curious Kaminski, have you gotten to try any of the VR headsets?

• @matt
    Yeah from the reviews I saw I didnt see them mention more gamey games like Rigs or EVE, just the tank game. It does seem like right now the majority of the software lean towards more "experiences' then games, or putting the player in a room and letting them muck around like job sim or that VR Bar Room (which kinda seemed interesting to me). I'm still interested, I'd love it if I had some rich friend that had it so I can really give it a go before deciding to put down the money.
    I want VR to succeed, I think its a really cool new way to play games and experience things, but like so many others, it just seems like the tech is a little behind. In time this will be less of an issue, but I dont think anyone knows for sure if it'll be around long enough to see it reach its true potential, more so if these platforms don't succeed in turning a profit, time will tell.

• @TheMarcV Yeah, the demo disc seems to have a lot of the headlining games, I'm surprised no one's commenting on each one. I suppose there may be an embargo.

What I've learned so far is to keep my expectations in check for games like Arkham VR. I'm still going to get it because I've loved Batman growing up and I just can't pass up suiting up. One surprise game that stands out to me is Thumper VR. That seems to be getting some good reviews and it's only $20. It sounds like I could be picking that up.

I'm glad the demo disc has so many games to try. It may be my second favorite launch demo disc next to the Dreamcast.

alt text