PSVR Hype???

• @matt
    Oh man did the dreamcast blow my young little mind when it came out. That system really sold itself to me, once I saw the section of Sonic Adventure where your running towards the camera and the killer whale is chasing you, so amazing. Also, ready 2 rumble and power stone, game I miss the dreamcast.

• here's a much more technical and in depth review of the PSVR, for those interested http://www.roadtovr.com/playstation-vr-review-psvr-console-vr-has-arrived/?platform=hootsuite

• @sblomkamp Thanks! That was a good read. Hey, I know you mentioned working on a VR game in the past. Are you developing anything for PSVR?

@TheMarcV Yep, I was sold when I saw the screengrab of sonic and the whale in a Gamepro preview. And Power Stone is one of my all time favorite games. Top 3 for sure. I just wish they would make another one.

• I'm intrigued by PSVR. I wouldn't say I'm overly excited or hyped, but it definitely interests me. I haven't tried any VR yet but have wanted to for a long time now. There just isn't a viable place nearby to do so since I live in a small town in Arkansas. Right now, there aren't any games that jump out at me that are a "must own" either. If there were games getting VR implementation that are big enough titles, such as things that are already out like Fallout 4, Battlefront, and Overwatch, to upcoming games like Skyrim HD, CoD IW / MW Remaster, Battlefield 1, etc. then I would be a lot more willing to jump in. I think I'll just sit back and observe for now. Hopefully the Gamestop near me will get a demo station sometime soon so I can test it out personally. I can't wait to see the consumer reaction to some titles though like Batman VR, Battlefront X-Wing VR, DriveClub VR, and RIGS.

• Just tried PSVR it has slight issues but all in all a good product. Hopefully these issues can get solved.

• @ib0show I agree. When I first tried it, I was underwhelmed. The fidelity was less than what I had hoped. But after I got into Battlezone for a few minutes and got engaged, it really was just an extension of a normal gaming experience and it felt natural.

So do you think you're going to keep your preorder?

• @matt Most likely, I can see that this thing has potential and want to see how it works with the Pro.

• @TheMarcV I tried the occulus a while back... I just don't see much value in the idea of VR. The motion control aspect? Yeah, that has a direct effect on my interactions. The headset bit? No thanks. It's mostly a cosmetic thing like 3D tvs. The initial effect wears off fast.

• So looks like we're gonna try to have the baby today....no PSVR launch day for me!

I may try to order it if it's available online somewhere.

• @matt CONGRATS!!!!!!!

• @naltmank Thanks!!

• Just bought PSVR and it's great. Played DriveClub and a demo so far. Also did anyone remove the plastic film that's over the lens on the PSVR unit.

• Global Moderator

Get my PSVR tomorrow... I just can't wait! :D

• Hope everyone's enjoying their launch day! Looks like the demand has been low enough, I managed to get a launch bundle on Amazon. Should receive it this saturday. Excited that we should be settled in at home by then and I'm off for the next two weeks on daddy duty.

Sounds like the people that were interested in it are happy with their purchases. Can't wait to play Job Simulator and Driveclub and suit up as Batman. Oh and Rez sounds great too. I've had it for Dreamcast but never played it through its entirety. Hope they get some killer apps soon. It'd be cool if someone could pull off something along the lines of Wii Sports Boxing

• Global Moderator

Mine actually arrived today after all :O Turns out that my gf gets motion sick from it though.. will give it another try with her later, but thats kinda a bummer

• @Lotias What was the game that made her sick

• Global Moderator

@ib0show she played Drive Club and after like 15 min she said she felt sick. Then spent the evening on the sofa :(

• @Lotias download Allumette. It's a free 3D video, she'll love it! (It's listed under games on PSN by the way)

• Amazon kindly delivered my PSVR yesterday. I hadn't tried it, or any of the other VR options before hand I just knew I wanted to give it a go and I have to say, I'm hooked! Sorry for the long post, but had to talk about my experiences :smiley:

I tried Ocean Decent on PSVR Worlds first, mainly because I knew it was just a stationary experience but also because it was something that felt familiar having seen it in so many videos. Immediate thoughts were about the quality of the display, I wasn't too sure to start out with, but I think that's a lot to do with it being your first experience, you look at all the details because you have all those thoughts about "Have I set this up right", "Am I positioned right" "What is this even meant to look like", and yes it's not the sharpest image in the world, but I'll tell you, when those first fish swim up to you in the cage, and that sea turtle hangs just outside looking at you, all that goes away and in the PSVR, with your headphones on, you're just there. Watching the video clips on youtube just don't do it justice, it's something you simply have to try to appreciate.

After that first tentative step I threw myself fully into it with EVE: Valkyrie and yes, a couple of moments made the stomach go, but the feeling of being in a ship is amazing, when you enter the launch tube for the first time and the lights come up in the ship it just feels solid around you and the sense of scale is something again you can't appreciate until you play it. I sunk an hour or so into that and even though I generally don't go for multiplayer games, I loved it. Just make sure you look into those turns, it's something you don't have to do when you're playing on a TV but it really helps to combat any motion sickness in VR.

Finally, I had to fire up Batman and yes, people may call it a tech demo, but what a tech demo. I won't spoil anything but after the menu screen, where I spent longer than you'd think! the first scene was something I didn't expect as I hadn't watched any video playthroughs and for something so simple, it was again amazing to see....or be a part of!

So, should you buy it, if you can afford it yes. I don't feel that VR is just another add-on which will end up gathering dust, the experiences are just too vivid for that and if this is the start of the VR revolution, I can't wait to see where it goes! And now I've sat in the cockpit of a space ship, how can I go back to just looking at it on a screen.

Oh, and if anyone fancies teaming up for some EVE: Valkyrie, or anything else, I can't promise I'll be that good, but it would be cool to hang out with some fellow EZAs in VR. My PSN should be in my signature.

Now so long real world, I'm going back into the virtual one!

• Global Moderator

@Alex840 I will give that a try! some other people have said that some other VR game where they stack cubes or w/e have been a good experience and kept them from feeling too bad!